PC Build for WoW

I'm ready to order these components needed to build my new Budget/Mid-Range gaming PC.

I will be looking to run WoW with high-ultra graphics with a good framerate, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to reach that with this setup, however this video shows the same graphics card i have, running the game at 100fps without recording with everything on ultra, however I realise there are other factors that affect the gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0NUkfDY9ak

Here is my setup:

- CASE: Cooler Master Elite 334U
- CPU: AMD A6 5400K (3.6GHz)
- MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-F2A55-DS3
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (8GB)
- HARDRIVE: 500GB Hitachi
- PSU: 500W Storm Silent
- GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (I already own this)

Also, I will be buying a VGA cable to connect to my TV which I will use as a monitor.

As this is my first time building a PC, I am concerned I have missed something. Other than peripherals, is there anything i have missed? Are any additional cables needed? Will this setup match my criteria?

Lots of questions, so I will greatly appreciate any advice which you may have to offer.
Thanks in advance :)
4 answers Last reply
More about build
  1. I forget to mention the most important question: Are the parts compatible?

Thanks again.
  2. When it comes to WoW (and pretty much ALL Blizzard games) remember that they heavily favor Intel and Nvidia over similarly spec'd AMD machines. Case in point: I have 2 systems. Both are OK (if not a little dated) but my AMD machine (which should be OK for a while to come with a 1055T and a 5850 BE card) never gets as good of frame rates as my second machine, a i3 2100 with a GTX 560 TI. Both of those cards are about the same level of performance (WEI 7.6-7.7 depending on drivers, and I know using the WEI is a TERRIBLE benchmark.) but for some reason Blizzard games (SC2, D3, WoW) always run faster and better on the Intel PC.

Also, please re-consider the 550 Ti. It's really not a great video card for gaming. It's OK and all, but if you have some extra pocket money consider a 560 Ti or better for gaming (and you can get a 560 TI 448 Core FTW from newegg for $170, and that's a really nice card.)

Also please note: WoW isn't particularly demanding GPU wise. But it WILL make a difference if you get a better CPU. Most of Blizz's stuff, again, works better on Intel. I would suggest getting a i3 chip and a decent mobo over and AMD setup.
    Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps. If you don't believe me, check out the MoP review and benchmarks here on TH. That should help a lot.
  3. Anonymous said:
    When it comes to WoW (and pretty much ALL Blizzard games) remember that they heavily favor Intel and Nvidia over similarly spec'd AMD machines. Case in point: I have 2 systems. Both are OK (if not a little dated) but my AMD machine (which should be OK for a while to come with a 1055T and a 5850 BE card) never gets as good of frame rates as my second machine, a i3 2100 with a GTX 560 TI. Both of those cards are about the same level of performance (WEI 7.6-7.7 depending on drivers, and I know using the WEI is a TERRIBLE benchmark.) but for some reason Blizzard games (SC2, D3, WoW) always run faster and better on the Intel PC.

Also, please re-consider the 550 Ti. It's really not a great video card for gaming. It's OK and all, but if you have some extra pocket money consider a 560 Ti or better for gaming (and you can get a 560 TI 448 Core FTW from newegg for $170, and that's a really nice card.)

Also please note: WoW isn't particularly demanding GPU wise. But it WILL make a difference if you get a better CPU. Most of Blizz's stuff, again, works better on Intel. I would suggest getting a i3 chip and a decent mobo over and AMD setup.
    Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps. If you don't believe me, check out the MoP review and benchmarks here on TH. That should help a lot.

Thank you very much for the quick reply, greatly appreciated. I will definitely re-consider an Intel setup. As for the graphics card, I already recieved it as a gift, so unfortunately i can't change, however the video I put in my original post fills me with enough confidence.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build World Of Warcraft Systems