Sign in with
Your question

PC Build for WoW

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2012 4:53:47 PM

I'm ready to order these components needed to build my new Budget/Mid-Range gaming PC.

I will be looking to run WoW with high-ultra graphics with a good framerate, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to reach that with this setup, however this video shows the same graphics card i have, running the game at 100fps without recording with everything on ultra, however I realise there are other factors that affect the gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0NUkfDY9ak

Here is my setup:

- CASE: Cooler Master Elite 334U
- CPU: AMD A6 5400K (3.6GHz)
- MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-F2A55-DS3
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (8GB)
- HARDRIVE: 500GB Hitachi
- PSU: 500W Storm Silent
- GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (I already own this)

Also, I will be buying a VGA cable to connect to my TV which I will use as a monitor.

As this is my first time building a PC, I am concerned I have missed something. Other than peripherals, is there anything i have missed? Are any additional cables needed? Will this setup match my criteria?

Lots of questions, so I will greatly appreciate any advice which you may have to offer.
Thanks in advance :) 

More about : build wow

December 25, 2012 4:58:22 PM

I forget to mention the most important question: Are the parts compatible?

Thanks again.
Related resources
December 25, 2012 5:08:37 PM

When it comes to WoW (and pretty much ALL Blizzard games) remember that they heavily favor Intel and Nvidia over similarly spec'd AMD machines. Case in point: I have 2 systems. Both are OK (if not a little dated) but my AMD machine (which should be OK for a while to come with a 1055T and a 5850 BE card) never gets as good of frame rates as my second machine, a i3 2100 with a GTX 560 TI. Both of those cards are about the same level of performance (WEI 7.6-7.7 depending on drivers, and I know using the WEI is a TERRIBLE benchmark.) but for some reason Blizzard games (SC2, D3, WoW) always run faster and better on the Intel PC.

Also, please re-consider the 550 Ti. It's really not a great video card for gaming. It's OK and all, but if you have some extra pocket money consider a 560 Ti or better for gaming (and you can get a 560 TI 448 Core FTW from newegg for $170, and that's a really nice card.)

Also please note: WoW isn't particularly demanding GPU wise. But it WILL make a difference if you get a better CPU. Most of Blizz's stuff, again, works better on Intel. I would suggest getting a i3 chip and a decent mobo over and AMD setup.
Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps. If you don't believe me, check out the MoP review and benchmarks here on TH. That should help a lot.
December 25, 2012 5:16:59 PM

nosupport4u said:
When it comes to WoW (and pretty much ALL Blizzard games) remember that they heavily favor Intel and Nvidia over similarly spec'd AMD machines. Case in point: I have 2 systems. Both are OK (if not a little dated) but my AMD machine (which should be OK for a while to come with a 1055T and a 5850 BE card) never gets as good of frame rates as my second machine, a i3 2100 with a GTX 560 TI. Both of those cards are about the same level of performance (WEI 7.6-7.7 depending on drivers, and I know using the WEI is a TERRIBLE benchmark.) but for some reason Blizzard games (SC2, D3, WoW) always run faster and better on the Intel PC.

Also, please re-consider the 550 Ti. It's really not a great video card for gaming. It's OK and all, but if you have some extra pocket money consider a 560 Ti or better for gaming (and you can get a 560 TI 448 Core FTW from newegg for $170, and that's a really nice card.)

Also please note: WoW isn't particularly demanding GPU wise. But it WILL make a difference if you get a better CPU. Most of Blizz's stuff, again, works better on Intel. I would suggest getting a i3 chip and a decent mobo over and AMD setup.
Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps. If you don't believe me, check out the MoP review and benchmarks here on TH. That should help a lot.

Thank you very much for the quick reply, greatly appreciated. I will definitely re-consider an Intel setup. As for the graphics card, I already recieved it as a gift, so unfortunately i can't change, however the video I put in my original post fills me with enough confidence.
!