• New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2012 5:17:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum today my name's Ben Hello! o/

I'm quite close to buying/building myself a new Gaming PC for the first time, but before I hit the checkout I'd firstly like some input confirming that all the parts are compatible and should all fit as they should. E.g is the case the right size/ will the motherboard fit OK/ correct memory etc.

Secondly If there's any changes I should make to get better value for money/performance.

I'll be using the PC primary for gaming so any additions will be considered.

Thanks a billion !!!

Ben

More about : rig advice appreciated

December 25, 2012 5:40:26 PM

Well, a few things stand out. You could potentially stick an Ivy Bridge CPU like the 3570k onto a z68 mobo, but I believe you'll want to have a Sandy Bridge CPU on-hand to ensure that the BIOS is updated to make the mobo compatible with the 3570k. You should probably be looking at a z77 motherboard instead.

For gaming, 8GB RAM is plenty. 16gb is overkill, but if you plan on doing anything productivity based (video editing, for example), keep it.

Never heard of the Case manufacturer before, but then, that's not a huge issue. It looks good for the price, at least. According to the posts by users beneath the info, it takes ATX form motherboards, so the mobo you've chosen should fit fine. It appears that the mobo only has 3 total fan headers (not including the CPU fan header), and the case itself has four fans- one may not be connected to the mobo itself, but you can always connect it directly with the PSU.

I see only two other issues. I can see is that you don't have an aftermarket CPU Cooler on the list. You should see about getting one if you're going to be doing any overclocking for the CPU itself (why else get a 3570k?). Also, although 240gb is good for a SSD, it'll fill up quick when it comes to gaming. It'll last you a little while, but you'll probably want to look into getting a 1TB mechanical HDD for storage.

Related resources
December 25, 2012 6:09:12 PM

Are you able to shed any light on the difference between Ivy bridge/Sandy bridge - This is new to me so Simple terms would be brilliant. If your even able to link me with a good mobo that'd be great.

I saw that the motherboard's memory capacity was 16gb so i just went for it after assuming gaming has the highest graphic intensive requirements if that makes sence. But okay maybe I can save some on that.

I picked the case fairly quickly as it doesn't bother me too much on the looks. I was after a case with grommets to keep the cabling tidy but didn't take much time looking and I presume they are quite expensive.

I've heard good things about SDD's reducing load times inside and outside games so will probably stick with the SDD unless you have any other view on this?

December 25, 2012 6:48:27 PM

The difference between Ivy and Sandy Bridge is basically generational- Ivy is the newest, Sandy is about a year older. Sandy runs cooler due, while Ivy runs hotter. That's the main difference, I believe- the 2500k (Sandy Bridge) is roughly equivalent to the 3570k (Ivy Bridge). There's obviously a few differences, of course, but I don't know 'em all off the top of my head. There's probably a few comparison articles here on Tom's Hardware that you could look up.

When it comes to graphics, it's the graphic card that picks up the slack, not the actual system RAM. A dedicated Graphics Card should handle what you're wanting, and the RAM isn't an issue. Make sure it's running at 1.5v for the RAM itself (higher voltage invalidates any Intel warranties for the CPU). 8gb is fine for gaming, most games don't use more than... I believe 2gb of RAM. Somewhere around there. The graphics card you've chosen should do quite well for most games you'll be playing (and probably good on up to three monitors as well, I'd think).

The SSD is probably the biggest thing when it comes to reducing load times that you could work with. That said, if you'll be installing a bunch of games and software, you'll fill 240gb up very quickly. Install the games you'll be playing the most on the SSD (along with the OS, of course, and other key programs you'll be running often), and have a mechanical drive for actual storage as well. Pics, movies, music, etc. SSDs are great, and I have one in my PC that I'm on now (loads Win7 within 30 seconds, from turning the PC on to having windows fully load after inputting a password). It's only half the capacity, and I've nearly filled that along with a 250gb mechanical hard drive from an old rig I had within a few months. It may not be a pressing matter at first, but eventually I'm pretty sure you'll be wanting to get more storage capacity. Mechanical drives may be slower, but they're also cheaper and typically have a lot more storage available on them.

A computer case is typically user's preference, so no worries there. The CPU cooler I mentioned before is very important if you plan to overclock- the stock CPU cooler is good if you don't, but honestly, if you're not going to overclock and you plan on getting a good graphics card, there's no reason to have a 3570k (or even a 2500k for that matter) in the build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the kind of motherboard you should be looking for. Gigabyte and ASUS are other good choices as well. This one in particular is quite popular for it's price and 'bang for the buck', so to speak. Many people suggest this when someone's getting a 3570k.
a c 352 4 Gaming
December 25, 2012 6:55:58 PM

^ he really mean to help you by typing so much LOL

btw welcome to the forum ben :)  shakehand in the air
December 25, 2012 7:25:55 PM

That's Bril, thanks for the replies Macgreen, your very informative so thank you.

Hey AMD \o/

All I understand about CPU's is that if it has the "k" on the end it's got the capability to be overclocked, Am i right?
I probably will end up overclocking at some point so I'd like to option there of course so may have to think about an extra fan.

You've got a good point in terms of the storage issues I might face, I've already got a 1TB hardrive I can format and use for extra space if need be.

What's the different in the MOBO I chose and this one? Seems a lot more expensive what should I be looking for in MODO, just the fact it has PCI-e for my GPU and sata ? Presuming motherboards don't affect performance any way I'd like the cheapest(ish) one that will hold my components. Correct me if I'm wrong.

:) 
December 25, 2012 8:36:06 PM

Mostly, the z77 series of motherboards were designed to allow for full overclocking capabilities on an Ivy Bridge -k CPU. And yes, the -k CPUs have unlocked modifiers on them, basically allowing you to set up the processor's speed if you know what you're doing (aka, Overclocking). The z68 was meant for the Sandy Bridge -k CPUs, such as the 2500k. The 3570k is an Ivy Bridge CPU, and the z68s were probably built before the Ivy Bridge series were released (and therefore most wouldn't have a BIOS that's updated to allow for a 3570k CPU to be compatible).

In order to update the BIOS on a board meant for a Sandy Bridge CPU to be fully compatible with an Ivy Bridge CPU, you basically need a Sandy Bridge CPU installed first, then install windows and everything, go online, and 'flash' the BIOS with the latest BIOS firmware from the mobo manufacturer's site. The z77, z75, H77, and b75 motherboards, on the other hand, were designed with Ivy Bridge in mind, but only the z77 really allows full overclocking of the CPU. They're also backwards compatible with the older CPUs in the Sandy Bridge series.

You may be able to find cheaper z77 motherboards from manufacturers like MSI or maybe Foxconn, but most people find the ASrock boards to be cost-effective and of generally good quality for the price. If you went with a micro-ATX form motherboard, that usually reduces the price a bit as well.

Whatever you choose to do, if you're going to overclock, be sure to grab an aftermarket CPU cooler. Cheaper ones that would be good choices would include Cooler Master EVO or Hyper 212 Plus, or something by Zalman. Your case looks like it's set up for liquid cooling- it's not really necessary, but that could be something you might look into in the future. With even one of those cheap CPU coolers, you should be able to hit a 4.0-4.2ghz overclock, I think.
December 27, 2012 5:08:53 AM

Thanks alot for the replies mac!!
!