Closed Solved

660ti or 680 for 5760x1080

I already have a 660ti, should I sell that and buy a 680 or should I buy another 660ti to run a triple monitor setup?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 660ti 5760x1080
  1. i dont think single 680 is enough for a tripple monitor setup ( gaming wise )
  2. Would 2 660ti be enough, would the low memory hurt much?
  3. Maybe, but wouldn't be great, you should really be looking at 2x670 4gb in SLI for that setup...at least on Nvidia's side...

AMD might work out better value vs performance wise
  4. I would say go for 670 4gb
  5. I use 2 7950s for my Eyefinity setup, they work fantastic. Can't say much about the Nvidia side regarding Multi-monitor. I reckon 2 GTX 660 Tis will be fine as long as you only use FXAA (or TXAA) in games instead of any real AA like MSAA and SSAA, etc... This solves the memory bus problem with the GTX 660 Tis.

Bottom line though, I would recommend AMD for multi- mon configs like that. Plenty of VRAM and a huge memory bus which is good for those huge resolutions in general.
  6. The 600 series would be bandwidth limited before it ever runs out of vram, there is little difference between 4GB and 2GB models its more of a cash grab. Nvidia surround sucks I am sorry to say! At that resolution I would go for a 7970Ghz
  7. redeemer said:
    The 600 series would be bandwidth limited before it ever runs out of vram, there is little difference between 4GB and 2GB models its more of a cash grab. Nvidia surround sucks I am sorry to say! At that resolution I would go for a 7970Ghz

I agree with you, you will get the bottleneck with the Nvidia cards from low memory bandwidth, but if he is playing games/programs that will utilize the Cuda and Physx it might be more beneficial, correct?
  8. 7970 GHz Edition is your best bet for multi-monitor configs. Standard edition is very fast too. I've got a pair of them clocked at 1200 MHz. Hilarious seeing 1k+ framerates in old games.

As far as 660 Ti SLI vs 680, I'd say stay way from SLI. It introduces headaches you don't want unless you're reaching beyond a single card's performance. Took me days to get games running right on my rig.
  9. techbaddie said:
    I agree with you, you will get the bottleneck with the Nvidia cards from low memory bandwidth, but if he is playing games/programs that will utilize the Cuda and Physx it might be more beneficial, correct?

I have no idea why Physx would be beneficial! I mean only 40 titles since what...2007? BF3 has the best physics of any game right now and its not an Nvidia Physx title. I was hoping Borderlands 2 would impress me with its entensive Physx support but it did not. I would recommend an Nvidia based solution if 3D or Cuda is needed, but with the state of prices/performance its really difficult to recommend any Nvidia at this time.
  10. Wait... was OP even considering 7970?I did not see that in the question however if they are open to it then i agree a 7970GHz would be a better choice
  11. bigcyco1 said:
    Wait... was OP even considering 7970?I did not see that in the question however if they are open to it then i agree a 7970GHz would be a better choice

No they didn't. But it would make more sense to go down that route if it meets his needs.
  12. I play mostly BF3, a little borderlands. And will be doing a lot more sim racing soon. I already have the 660ti, but to my understanding you cannot run triple monitors with only one card. I'd like to avoid selling the 660ti if I can get good performance out of an sli setup.
  13. lca1443 said:
    I play mostly BF3, a little borderlands. And will be doing a lot more sim racing soon. I already have the 660ti, but to my understanding you cannot run triple monitors with only one card. I'd like to avoid selling the 660ti if I can get good performance out of an sli setup.

You can run surround on a single 660ti, just not very well really
  14. I don't care whether it is nvidia or AMD, I'm not a fanboi. I was under the belief that the 680 was slightly better. Also EVGA is a brand I've had good experience with.
  15. lca1443 said:
    I don't care whether it is nvidia or AMD, I'm not a fanboi. I was under the belief that the 680 was slightly better. Also EVGA is a brand I've had good experience with.

Very true, EVGA have great customer service, but so do ASUS and XFX...

Here is a video that gives some detail on Nvidia kepler surround:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMXRXj_Oso

Kepler has made the improvements to become acceptable at multi monitor but I think AMD still rules the roost on this, especially at the current price points
  16. I may just go triple monitor with the 660ti by itself. Then if I feel like I need more power I can look at different options for the GPU.
  17. Best answer
    Can't hurt, you've already got the equipment...You will be playing on lower settings though to get decent frame rates, but will give you a feel for what else you need...Btw I am a complete Nvidia "fanboi" as you put it, but it has never stopped me from giving the correct advice to people :)
  18. Best answer selected by lca1443.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics