Sign in with
Your question

New PC Build won't Boot....

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2012 5:46:12 PM

Merry Christmas! I just got some new parts for a computer, and I built it. My PC build consists of:

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 3 GHz
MOBO: AsRock Z75 Pro 3
PSU: Corsair CX430 W
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4 GB (2X2)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
CASE: Cooler Master Elite 430

This is my first PC build, so it's probably that I made a simple mistake. I think I have everything hooked up in the correct spots but I could certainly have messed up on something. I handled all the parts very delicately and made sure I had no static electricity build up by frequently toughing my metal case. After everything was installed I hit the power button and nothing fired up. With my limited PC building knowledge I know parts such as fans should be moving. Is there a way that I can tell if a certain part is DOA? I'm suspecting either my PSU or MOBO could be the problem. Thanks for your help!

More about : build boot

December 25, 2012 5:49:51 PM

Did you hook up your PWR SW cable from your case?
m
l
December 25, 2012 6:08:51 PM

Stronvate said:
Did you hook up your PWR SW cable from your case?

Yes I did but I just concluded that my cpu pins are all bent. It doesn't make any sense though because I know I put the processor in the correct way. Is there a possible way that it came that way? Or when I took the protective plastic off, could that have bent them?
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2012 6:14:40 PM

Hmm, well it's the correct socket type. For every pin to be bent, that sounds to me like you over-torqued the lock, or you forgot to take off the plastic covering over the cpu when you locked it. It "is" possible, but unlikely that a brand new MOBO has every pin bent.
m
l
December 25, 2012 6:19:23 PM

You said cpu pins, my bad. Is every pin bent evenly?
m
l
December 25, 2012 6:27:08 PM

Stronvate said:
You said cpu pins, my bad. Is every pin bent evenly?

Yes they are all bent uniform. Half facing one way, the other half of the pins face the other way.
m
l
December 25, 2012 6:29:01 PM

Sounds like you inserted it incorrectly. :/ 
m
l
December 25, 2012 7:54:34 PM

Does RAM placement affect my issues? I think I placed them in the correct ways though.
m
l
December 25, 2012 8:38:29 PM

alexoiu said:
I would firstly test the power supply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

Thanks that has to be it then. It failed that test. Is there another way to efficiently test the workability of the PSU, before I contact Corsair?
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:04:02 PM

No, but if the fan isn't spinning, the test is relevant.
It is not relevant though if the fan does spin, as a faulty PSU might fail under load.
So I would RMA the power supply.
m
l
December 25, 2012 10:09:56 PM

alexoiu said:
No, but if the fan isn't spinning, the test is relevant.
It is not relevant though if the fan does spin, as a faulty PSU might fail under load.
So I would RMA the power supply.

What does RMA mean? I'm sorry.
m
l
!