HD 7870 fans up to 100% - display turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

newnoob1

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hi

I recently build a gaming computer, but now I'm having some problems with my Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 Ghz edition graphics card. Everything is working just fine, until I start playing a game for example Skyrim. After 5 minutes my screen turns off and my graphics card's fan start spinning up to 100%.

Temperature is not the problem. My CPU is running between 30°C-40°C. The AMD OverDrive feature in Catalyst Control Center is telling me that my GPU is running at about 23°C and my fans are spinning at 20%. I have NOT enabled the Graphics OverDrive feature. It is also showing that the Power is 0%. Could this be the problem and how do I fix it? I have my 650W PSU connected to my GPU with 2x 6-pin connectors.

This is my build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 Ghz 2GB Edition
PSU: Corsair TX650M
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H
SSD: 128Gb Samsung 830 series
Extra: TP-Link WLAN TL-WN951N

Catalyst Control Center version: 2012.1022.2311.39807

Solution
Where did you buy that card from? The black screen is a problem with a bad ceramic cap on the back of the GPU. That batch was recalled and you will get a fully functional replacement for free. This really bums me out because I love Sapphire products and they have always been high quality except for this problem. Contact the retailer or Sapphire and they will issue a replacement. Also don't let them make you pay for shipping. Demand prepaid shipping.

rdc85

Honorable
I heard saphire had a recall for some of its 7870 models because of bad power/voltage regulator..

Contact them to see if yours included on those recall...

edit : u can read the news here for more info..

http://www.techpowerup.com/174858/Some-Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7870-Cards-Affected-by-quot-Black-Screen-quot-Issue.html

Where did you buy that card from? The black screen is a problem with a bad ceramic cap on the back of the GPU. That batch was recalled and you will get a fully functional replacement for free. This really bums me out because I love Sapphire products and they have always been high quality except for this problem. Contact the retailer or Sapphire and they will issue a replacement. Also don't let them make you pay for shipping. Demand prepaid shipping.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.