Still have no idea what to do

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
So to make a long story short, I got a new GPU (HIS7870 upgraded from a 5770) and a new PSU (Corsair cx600). I noticed huge fps boosts, WOW ran at over 100fps. Once I started raiding (stress on the GPU of any kind) my computer would artifact and freeze completely, would have to shut off the computer. So I RMA'ed the card and got a Sapphire 7950 suggested by a friend. I am currently experiencing the same exact same problems with the 7950 as I did with the 7870.

I have tried deleting all traces of any drivers from my computer, and re installing the new ones, still same problems occurs. If I put in my old 5770 everything is fine, no crashes, no artifacting whatsoever.

Ive made a couple posts about this and no one seems to be able to point out what would be causing this. So since it seems to be a mystery (I only know basics about computers, I could never diagnose such a problem myself), could someone just point me in the right direction on what steps to take to attempt to fix this? Or should I just RMA the new GPU and just live with the 5770?

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
OK so I open Event Viewer Local. Then under critical I can find all the times the computer crashed. It lists the same error "kernel-power" "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. this error could be caused if the system stoped responding, crashed or power was lost expectantly.

Then what do I do to find a log?

Corsair is normally a good quality unit, but not top quality. The CX600 should be plenty adequate as to power.
But, this sounds to me like a power problem.
Are you certain that the two 6 pin power leads are securely attached to the graphics card?
If you can, try a different psu that is known to work, and has the requisite two 6 pin connectors.
Corsair does have good support. I would open an incident with them.

Otherwise, I would return the psu and try a different brand on the off chance that there is some peculiar incompatibility.
Antec, PC P&C, XFX, and Seasonic would be good.

In the interim, you might try downclocking the graphics card so it will use less power.

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
The temps from right before a crash: http://imageshack.us/f/705/cpuve.png/

"Are you certain that the two 6 pin power leads are securely attached to the graphics card?"
there is an 8pin and a 6pin slot in the gpu. Both are securely attached.

Kari

Splendid
might very well be psu issue, but just to rule it out test the system ram with memtest86+
http://www.memtest.org/
create a bootable media, boot from it and the test should start, let it run for several passes if it doesnt pick up any errors.
The new cards have more vram onboard than the 5770, this might have an effect on windows memory usage as well, so it might use memory area previously untouched that might be experiencing problems...

You must have a highly overclocked 7970 that needs extra power. Most need only 2 6 pin connectors.
The presence of the 8 pin connector(needing 75 more watts) is a clue to me that your psu is inadequate.
It is probably not delivering the power you need. Since it supplies 2 6+2 connectors, it SHOULD be OK, but I think it might be partially defective. Contact Corsair support.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Must be PSU problem if it runs on 1 card and fail on another.How old is you PSU?Is your CPU OCed?What about the GPU?
Do you have a friend with a better PSU that can lend it to you for testing?

It can also be that your PSU can meet the requirements for your new card but if it has aged badly it lost efficiency.
The temps are more than fine.

Raiding in WoW increases the stress on the CPU far more than the GPU. You might check that.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Try installing Catalyst 12.3 drivers; I've heard that later versions of the amd drivers cause hard system crashes specifically in WoW for people with 7*** cards.

If this thread sounds familiar, definately try the 12.3 drivers: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=35&post=83510&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

edit: for what it's worth, the feeling i got from looking at some of the posts is that this would happen when certain effects occurred in game, such as during a particular boss fight, or when a particular spell is cast.

lastbluesun

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012
I noticed your CPU temps max out around the 70s before a crash. My 2 cents would be yes, test your card with your old psu and do a raid, but, also try and re-apply your thermal past with arctic silver 5 if you haven't used it already. What CPU cooler do you use?