hiker178

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
cannot see post screen but I sort of see windows start up screen then nothing Pixelating during boot up. psu has 29amp 12volt.p4p800-vm mobo with northwood 3.2 acepower 400 watt psu which runs hd6770 fine in other pc.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The HD6770 is much more power efficient than the HD3850 (which are notorious for generating lots of heat and consuming lots of power). Given the age of the components, I would suggest that you PSU is no longer up to the task of power the rig with the HD3850 installed. PSUs can and do wear out.

hiker178

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Went to buy new psu but the tech there said it wouldnt help.My psu should handle it.( he sold it to me)Figures it must be the card.Thinks the pix and poor resolution means a bad card.He is really good at not selling you something you dont need.I've only seen one other post similar to mine and he thought is was a bad card.Used card guess I should have known but not much new agp left.Thanks for your input.

hiker178

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Managed to get it to post and boot by using hdmi adapter instead of vga. terrible picture though readable thru the pixilation(?).Loaded drivers but would not boot to xp.

hiker178

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Just an end note. Contacted seller and he now thinks card is bad as well.Willing to refund. He had video problems as well but upgraded m/b thinking that was the problem.
Thanks for input. great and helpful site.