Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to use intel 4000 graphics for secondary monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2012 4:16:06 PM

i have an older 19 inch monitor that i want to use as a secondary monitor, but its vga and only my motherboard and cpu with the intel 4000 grpahics has a vga, so could i use the intel grpahics for the secondary? and how would i go about doing that in the settings
November 7, 2012 5:20:54 PM

I'm not sure I clearly understand, but if your PC has a second display port (VGA, DVI or HDMI) then I would assume you are able to set up multiple displays. Try going into the Windows display options (Right click on your desktop > Screen Resolution) and look for an option to enable multiple displays. If there are none there, go to the advanced settings on that same panel which should bring up another box with tabs. Look for a tab dedicated to your display hardware (I have a Radeon HD 7970 hence I have an AMD VisionControl Center tab). There should be all the options you would need. Hope this helps!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 7, 2012 5:28:12 PM

No you can't use the intel card with vga AND your 670 with your other monitor. Get a DVI-VGA adapter and use your 670 DVI output to the VGA monitor.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 7, 2012 5:37:54 PM

getochkn said:
No you can't use the intel card with vga AND your 670 with your other monitor. Get a DVI-VGA adapter and use your 670 DVI output to the VGA monitor.


What he said... all you need is an adapter.
something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a c 91 C Monitor
a b å Intel
November 7, 2012 6:07:55 PM

Incorrect, you can use both the integrated and a discrete at the same time for sb, ib, apus and some older chipsets as well. Simply plug the monitor in. It will be recognized and you can change settings in windows display options. There is no option to enable/disable multiple monitors. The only multi monitor option is to change from extended or duplicate modes. And you can drag the windows around to adjust the position.

With virtu mvp, games and other software can actually utilize both combined in hyperformance mode (which doesn't require multiple monitors but still works if you do). Or you can use them independently.
m
0
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b å Intel
November 7, 2012 6:46:06 PM

computernoob29 said:
i have an older 19 inch monitor that i want to use as a secondary monitor, but its vga and only my motherboard and cpu with the intel 4000 grpahics has a vga, so could i use the intel grpahics for the secondary? and how would i go about doing that in the settings


Since your sig says you have a GTX670, why not just attach your second monitor to that card using a dvi to vga adapter.
Many graphics cards will include such an adapter just for that purpose.

I see no reason why attaching your second monitor to the motherboard vga adapter will not work.
Just be certain that you have updated the chipset drivers.

It is only some older versions of windows that did not support multiple graphics drivers. With windows 7 you should be good.

When it is attached, right click on your desktop, and go to screen resolution. You should be able to identify and manage the two displays regardless of which adapter they are connected to. You probably want to select extended desktop.
Make the GTX670 monitor the primary so games will be directed there.
m
0
l
July 22, 2013 5:16:35 PM

geofelt said:
computernoob29 said:
i have an older 19 inch monitor that i want to use as a secondary monitor, but its vga and only my motherboard and cpu with the intel 4000 grpahics has a vga, so could i use the intel grpahics for the secondary? and how would i go about doing that in the settings


Since your sig says you have a GTX670, why not just attach your second monitor to that card using a dvi to vga adapter.
Many graphics cards will include such an adapter just for that purpose.

I see no reason why attaching your second monitor to the motherboard vga adapter will not work.
Just be certain that you have updated the chipset drivers.

It is only some older versions of windows that did not support multiple graphics drivers. With windows 7 you should be good.

When it is attached, right click on your desktop, and go to screen resolution. You should be able to identify and manage the two displays regardless of which adapter they are connected to. You probably want to select extended desktop.
Make the GTX670 monitor the primary so games will be directed there.


Digging an old topic up from the grave but:

I just now went from SB to IB on a MSI Z77A-G45 I was using a 9800gt to stream to my living room tv which caused me to use the extra audio spdif cable to the card and also caused me to have to swap the default sound all the time.

The problem I'm having now Is for temporary I want to keep using the 9800gt for my primary video on the desktop screen for temporary gaming purposes (game rig is going through an upgrade) and use the integrated onboard gpu for the tv for streeming media to. In the intel hd properties screen it's set for single display and isn't adjustable. Therefore it Extends my desktop (which in turn causes no audio or movies to show up on the living room tv) I also get the annoying mouse cursor disappearing on the right side of my desktop screen.

I would need the onboard display to clone what I see on the pc screen not to extend since it doesn't show video or play audio on the extended display (living room tv) If I right click on the desktop I get both displays showing up but I can only extend or show desktop on one display or the other. Am I missing something here?
m
0
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b å Intel
July 22, 2013 5:25:29 PM

Control panel/display/adjust screen resolution
You should have a drop down list under multiple displays
where you can select duplicate these displays.
m
0
l
July 22, 2013 5:30:17 PM

geofelt said:
Control panel/display/adjust screen resolution
You should have a drop down list under multiple displays
where you can select duplicate these displays.

As stated above I get:
Extend these displays
Show Desktop Only on 1
Show Desktop Only on 2

???
m
0
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b å Intel
July 22, 2013 5:33:53 PM

??? is right,
I get the added option to duplicate the displays.
One difference is that I have both displays attached to the same graphics card.
m
0
l
July 22, 2013 5:40:04 PM

geofelt said:
??? is right,
I get the added option to duplicate the displays.
One difference is that I have both displays attached to the same graphics card.


Yea to do that I have to reinstall the spdif cable which this onboard graphics board doesn't have the output because it has the integrated support and I have to keep selecting the default audio which is a pain in the ass. If I get comfortable in the living room and use gizmo on my android to pull up a movie or something to find out I have no audio and have to go back into the office and change the audio default from the computer out to the digital out. It's annoying as hell.

From what it looks like though this has to be done with the onboard graphics also. :-( from my testing I just did. So part of this upgrade is useless other then going from a 2550k to 3570k

m
0
l
July 22, 2013 6:01:35 PM

yanked the 9800 and hooked the living room tv up and the monitor straight to the board. I now get the duplicate these displays option. What sucks is the fact that I still have to manually swap between the audio outputs. I guess the only option to truly fix this stupid ass problem is to build a dedicated HTPC that hooks up to the tv only. :-(
m
0
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b å Intel
July 22, 2013 6:06:00 PM

Could you find some sort of a audio splitter cable to run from the pc to each tv/monitor?
m
0
l
July 22, 2013 7:08:26 PM

lol I'm using HDMI over cat 6 adapter boxes with 75' of cat 6 I wouldn't say so.
m
0
l
!