Photographer Seeks Resolution - 4 Gigapixel camera - Wired..

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 3, 2005 3:06:13 PM

Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...

I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined with an
awesome sensor could make images this incredible..

Pictures are on the left...but the article and the guys website is well
worth a read...
June 3, 2005 3:06:14 PM

"Steve Franklin" <honkey@lips.com> wrote in message
> Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...
>

> I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined with an
> awesome sensor could make images this incredible..
>
> Pictures are on the left...but the article and the guys website is well
> worth a read...

Where was the neck strap to hold the camera?

Musty.
June 3, 2005 3:06:14 PM

Steve Franklin wrote:
> Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...
>

> I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined with an
> awesome sensor could make images this incredible..
>
> Pictures are on the left...but the article and the guys website is well
> worth a read...

Having visited this site before, and seeing what is possible, I'm
wondering if our silly friends at the Dept. of Homeland Security has
visited. Considering more than one image, the only thing that's missing
is the "Place Bomb Here" sign, or maybe Graham already cloned it out. :)

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:06:13 +1000, "Steve Franklin" <honkey@lips.com>
wrote:

>Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....
>
>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...
>

>I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined with an
>awesome sensor could make images this incredible..

I might be wrong, but it sounds like it's being shot on film and
scanned.
-Rich

wrote:

>Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....
>
>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...
>

>I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined with an
>awesome sensor could make images this incredible..

It should be pointed out that the SO-846 film used for initial design
purposes is not representative of the film now being used for the
Gigapxl™ Project. In this regard, new-generation color-negative films
(notably Kodak’s Aerocolor III type 2444) offer several advantages.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:06:15 PM

RichA wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:06:13 +1000, "Steve Franklin" <honkey@lips.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....
>>
>>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...
>>

>>I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined with an
>>awesome sensor could make images this incredible..
>>

> I might be wrong, but it sounds like it's being shot on film and
> scanned.

http://www.gigapxl.org/technology-realized.htm
9"x18" film

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

So the news here is "large format film renders fine resolution?"
or "people like to shoot nude beaches from a hidden position on a
clifftop?"
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:00:54 AM

Steve Franklin wrote:
> Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...
>

> I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined with an
> awesome sensor could make images this incredible..
>
> Pictures are on the left...but the article and the guys website is well
> worth a read...

We should all be so lucky as to be able to retire at such a young
looking age and have enough spare cash to indulge our fantasy like this
pair are doing. God Bless America, eh?

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.

"Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: Re: Photographer Seeks Resolution - 4 Gigapixel camera -
> Wired Article From: "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
>
> Steve Franklin wrote:
>> Apologies if you have all seen this, but this is amazing....
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.ht...
>>

>> I never would have believed the resolving power of a lens combined
>> with an awesome sensor could make images this incredible..
>>
>> Pictures are on the left...but the article and the guys website is
>> well worth a read...
>>

> We should all be so lucky as to be able to retire at such a young
> looking age and have enough spare cash to indulge our fantasy like
> this pair are doing. God Bless America, eh?

He did it all with your tax money, wasted on defense projects that never
went anywhere. (This guy lives in my town and is well known among local
astronomers. Not well liked but well known).

The article is misleading. It's just a film camera and most of the R&R
came out of the Corona spy satellites of the '60's.

I didn't know about the hantavirus rats in his observatory. Since it was
attached to his house, I wonder if they condemned the whole hideous
multi-million dollar structure.

If I had his millions, I think I could build a rat-proof observatory.
!