Solved

New Build won't post

So this is my first build. I got this mother board: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-E33-W8.html and this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156281

The problem is i can only get 5 standoffs installed and 1 of the holes is completely unused with no screw or standoff because there is no hole on the case for it. I don't think this is the reason my computer won't even post. It turns on and then instantly reboots, nothing shows up on screen either.

My dad has a friend who has been building for years and were gonna have him take a look at it in a few days so i'm not completely worried. If anything ill have to get a new motherboard. For my first time, my cpu seemed to drop right in with no force so i don't think its that. But my ram could also be the problem? the computer does the same thing when i remove the ram.

Is it shorting out because it is not fully grounded? idk what to do because i have nothing to test the components with because it could be ram,psu,mobo idk....
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build post
  1. it boots up for like 5 seconds and displays nothing on screen, then powers down and then boots back up and does same thing. im fresh out of ideas.
  2. Best answer
    blake1243 said:
    So this is my first build. I got this mother board: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-E33-W8.html and this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156281

    The problem is i can only get 5 standoffs installed and 1 of the holes is completely unused with no screw or standoff because there is no hole on the case for it. I don't think this is the reason my computer won't even post. It turns on and then instantly reboots, nothing shows up on screen either.

    My dad has a friend who has been building for years and were gonna have him take a look at it in a few days so i'm not completely worried. If anything ill have to get a new motherboard. For my first time, my cpu seemed to drop right in with no force so i don't think its that. But my ram could also be the problem? the computer does the same thing when i remove the ram.

    Is it shorting out because it is not fully grounded? idk what to do because i have nothing to test the components with because it could be ram,psu,mobo idk....


    did u hook up the 12v plug for the cpu, did u push the ram in properly, did you hook up the cpu fan
  3. jasont78 said:
    did u hook up the 12v plug for the cpu, did u push the ram in properly, did you hook up the cpu fan


    If the CPU plug is the 4-pin labeled "cpu" that i hooked up right above the cpu then yes, and ill trouble shoot the ram right now, and yes i hooked up the cpu fan.
  4. HI, It looks like a shorting issue. I would test the board outside the case.
  5. alexoiu said:
    HI, It looks like a shorting issue. I would test the board outside the case.

    How would i turn it on outside the case? and do you think i could somehow install a standoff without having a hole for it in case? Maybe i need a new case :(
  6. Connect a speaker to get the beep codes and you will know.
  7. noidea_77 said:
    Connect a speaker to get the beep codes and you will know.
    i have the speaker but im not sure which way it goes in. it says negative and positive and im not sure wich way to insert up.
  8. blake1243 said:
    How would i turn it on outside the case? and do you think i could somehow install a standoff without having a hole for it in case? Maybe i need a new case :(

    standoffs arent a problem
  9. blake1243 said:
    How would i turn it on outside the case? and do you think i could somehow install a standoff without having a hole for it in case? Maybe i need a new case :(


    Bu shortly connecting together (shorting with a screwdriver) the 2 pins corresponding to the power switch (where you connect the wires from the case's power switch). It's what the switch does when pressed.

    And yes, I suspect that there's an extra standoff shorting the board.
  10. alexoiu said:
    Bu shortly connecting together (shorting with a screwdriver) the 2 pins corresponding to the power switch (where you connect the wires from the case's power switch). It's what the switch does when pressed.

    And yes, I suspect that there's an extra standoff shorting the board.


    The speaker thing doesn't seem to make any noise. I have literally put this thing together like twice today. I have great cable management ATM. I just don't get why it won't post :(. I'm thinking i have defective ram. Any way in testing ram without putting different ram in my computer?
  11. Solved!!! LOL who woulda knew.... my ram wasn't seated properly xD. Out of everything the ram gave me a problem that took 6 hours to fix!! LOL. I underestimated the ram and overlooked it :). Installing windows right now. Thanks guys!!!!!
  12. Best answer selected by blake1243.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Motherboards Systems Product