Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build won't post

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2012 8:28:24 PM

So this is my first build. I got this mother board: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-E33-W8.html and this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The problem is i can only get 5 standoffs installed and 1 of the holes is completely unused with no screw or standoff because there is no hole on the case for it. I don't think this is the reason my computer won't even post. It turns on and then instantly reboots, nothing shows up on screen either.

My dad has a friend who has been building for years and were gonna have him take a look at it in a few days so i'm not completely worried. If anything ill have to get a new motherboard. For my first time, my cpu seemed to drop right in with no force so i don't think its that. But my ram could also be the problem? the computer does the same thing when i remove the ram.

Is it shorting out because it is not fully grounded? idk what to do because i have nothing to test the components with because it could be ram,psu,mobo idk....

More about : build post

December 25, 2012 8:50:54 PM

it boots up for like 5 seconds and displays nothing on screen, then powers down and then boots back up and does same thing. im fresh out of ideas.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 9:00:01 PM

blake1243 said:
So this is my first build. I got this mother board: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-E33-W8.html and this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The problem is i can only get 5 standoffs installed and 1 of the holes is completely unused with no screw or standoff because there is no hole on the case for it. I don't think this is the reason my computer won't even post. It turns on and then instantly reboots, nothing shows up on screen either.

My dad has a friend who has been building for years and were gonna have him take a look at it in a few days so i'm not completely worried. If anything ill have to get a new motherboard. For my first time, my cpu seemed to drop right in with no force so i don't think its that. But my ram could also be the problem? the computer does the same thing when i remove the ram.

Is it shorting out because it is not fully grounded? idk what to do because i have nothing to test the components with because it could be ram,psu,mobo idk....

did u hook up the 12v plug for the cpu, did u push the ram in properly, did you hook up the cpu fan
Related resources
December 25, 2012 9:01:55 PM

jasont78 said:
did u hook up the 12v plug for the cpu, did u push the ram in properly, did you hook up the cpu fan

If the CPU plug is the 4-pin labeled "cpu" that i hooked up right above the cpu then yes, and ill trouble shoot the ram right now, and yes i hooked up the cpu fan.
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 9:01:57 PM

HI, It looks like a shorting issue. I would test the board outside the case.
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:03:51 PM

alexoiu said:
HI, It looks like a shorting issue. I would test the board outside the case.

How would i turn it on outside the case? and do you think i could somehow install a standoff without having a hole for it in case? Maybe i need a new case :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 9:04:26 PM

Connect a speaker to get the beep codes and you will know.
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:08:02 PM

noidea_77 said:
Connect a speaker to get the beep codes and you will know.
i have the speaker but im not sure which way it goes in. it says negative and positive and im not sure wich way to insert up.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 9:14:12 PM

blake1243 said:
How would i turn it on outside the case? and do you think i could somehow install a standoff without having a hole for it in case? Maybe i need a new case :( 

standoffs arent a problem
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 9:15:23 PM

blake1243 said:

Bu shortly connecting together (shorting with a screwdriver) the 2 pins corresponding to the power switch (where you connect the wires from the case's power switch). It's what the switch does when pressed.

And yes, I suspect that there's an extra standoff shorting the board.
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:22:19 PM

alexoiu said:
Bu shortly connecting together (shorting with a screwdriver) the 2 pins corresponding to the power switch (where you connect the wires from the case's power switch). It's what the switch does when pressed.

And yes, I suspect that there's an extra standoff shorting the board.

The speaker thing doesn't seem to make any noise. I have literally put this thing together like twice today. I have great cable management ATM. I just don't get why it won't post :( . I'm thinking i have defective ram. Any way in testing ram without putting different ram in my computer?
m
l
December 25, 2012 10:36:31 PM

Solved!!! LOL who woulda knew.... my ram wasn't seated properly xD. Out of everything the ram gave me a problem that took 6 hours to fix!! LOL. I underestimated the ram and overlooked it :) . Installing windows right now. Thanks guys!!!!!
m
l
December 25, 2012 10:36:43 PM

Best answer selected by blake1243.
m
l
!