Sign in with
Your question

CREATIVE SB LIVE 5.1 & AMD

Last response: in Components
December 25, 2001 5:27:26 AM

the guy who is building my system said he could not get the CREATIVE SB LIVE 5.1 w/ MP3 FEATURES to work on my AMD AthlonXP 1700+ 1.47GHZ and MSI K7T266PRO2-RU(has onboard sound). I checked on creative.com, and it only mentions "compatible w/ INTEL processor and chipset." Is there any way to get it to work?

More about : creative live amd

December 25, 2001 6:46:10 AM

Can you tell us how the card is not working? Does it make a cracling sound, or no sound at all? Also, what did the tech try to get the card to work?

Many people have had many problems with installing SB Live cards, especially those who's machines have a VIA chipset. Some people have managed to get it to work through updating the system BIOS and drivers, installing the card in a specific slot, giving it it's own IRQ etc. But solutions to fixing this problem are as varied as makes of motherboards. Others, like AMD_man and Fatburger couldn't get the card to work and simply opted for cards like the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or the Hercules Game Theatre XP, which worked fine and produce a better quality sound than the SB LIVE.

If you're getting a professional tech to build your machine for you, and he's charging by the hour, you might find it cheaper just to go for an alternative. There's no easy fix answer I've heard that will get that card working guaranteed in your system.
December 25, 2001 11:26:08 AM

The SB Live 5.1 works with all AMD processors but the SB Live 5.1 is a bad quality sound card, IMHO. On any motherboard, the SB Live will crackle with even the slightiest CPU utilization. The SB Live 5.1 is 100% compatible with an AMD system but it is a sad misconception that it is related to the VIA 686B southbridge bug, when the SB Live can crackle and pop on an motherboard, even ones designed by Intel. Sure, the TB Santa Cruz does also pop <i>sometimes</i>, but it is very rare and I have to being doing something that takes nearly 100% CPU utilization.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
December 25, 2001 1:33:51 PM

Quote:
On any motherboard, the SB Live will crackle with even the slightiest CPU utilization.

That's a pretty bold statement. Since it didn't do that on my own PC. Do you mean It can <i>possibly</i> do this on any motherboard, regardless of chipset?

My post may have come off saying that the problem lies with VIA's chipset. I did not mean to imply that, and if it came off that way, I apologise. Nor did I mean to imply that <i>only</i> machines with VIA chipsets have issues with the SB LIVE. I said most. And the only reason I said that is due to experiences that I have had and heard and from what I've seen in forums like this one. If my opinion is totally wrong in this regard, then again, I am sorry.

To Prfstrkr: Let me re-issue my $0.02, Regardless of reasons, it is better to opt for an alternative card like the TB Santa Cruz than it is to try and get the SB LIVE working in your new PC. It's just not worth the effort.
December 25, 2001 6:18:23 PM

Well, it really also depends on the number of PCI hogging devices you have. There are a few variables that cause this crackling but it WILL happen once add other PCI bandwidth hogs. My ATI TV-WONDER seems to hog PCI bandwidth and therefore doesn't go too well with the SB Live. I'm certain it's NOT a motherboard related problem.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 26, 2001 3:27:43 AM

OK. :smile:
December 26, 2001 5:13:47 PM

I have basically the same rig except for a slightly slower CPU, and the only issue I have with the Live! is that there is a slight crackling in the line-in channel. If I mute it, no problem. Also, if there is any sound playing at all, I don't even notice the noise. I think it may have something to do with my TV tuner card.

Santa must be a trucker.

Dorr, MI
December 26, 2001 11:25:47 PM

It does! This "issue" will occur with any sound card. That static you hear is stray signials coming from the TV Tuner. This is, of course, an analog TV Tuner, so the problem will always be there.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 12/27/01 08:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 27, 2001 3:03:09 AM

I agree on part of that-I had no crackling noises on my BX motherboard/Live Platinum. My complaints were that:
1. It sounded "flat" on my speakers, with crappy bass and highs, no matter how I adjusted it.
2. 3D positioning was not very good.
3. CPU utilization was high.
4. Rear speakers would quit working for unknown reasons.
This is comming from an Aureal Vortex2 user, so maybe I set my standards too high.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 27, 2001 4:59:33 PM

Who is this "guy" who is building your computer? He sounds like an idiot.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
December 27, 2001 5:21:13 PM

I know, hehe.

!