Closed Solved

I bought this card for $40 doesnt have plastic cover is it ok?

http://www.zotacusa.com/geforce-gtx-460-oc-zt-40408-10p.html

Thats the card I got it for $40, seems to run fine, just doesn't have the plastic molding, has the fan and heatsink still on it. Just curious if this is ok to run in my computer anything i should worry about beside it getting dusty? Using it to play diablo 3 smoothly.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bought card doesnt plastic cover
  1. Best answer
    As long at the GPU temps don't get too high you should be fine. I would not OC that GPU without the shroud in place. The shroud helps to ensure all of the components that get hot have air flowing over them.

What happened for it to be missing?
  2. Probably the previous owner had an aftermarket cooler installed.
    You probably got a great deal.
    I see no problems unless the fan is unprotected and you have something loose inside the case.

As to dust, the only good way to stop it is to have positive pressure cooling with a filter covering the intake fans.

Otherwise, and occasional use of canned air should be enough.

You might contact Zotac and see what they would charge you for a cover.
  3. geofelt said:
    Probably the previous owner had an aftermarket cooler installed.
    You probably got a great deal.
    I see no problems unless the fan is unprotected and you have something loose inside the case.

As to dust, the only good way to stop it is to have positive pressure cooling with a filter covering the intake fans.

Otherwise, and occasional use of canned air should be enough.

You might contact Zotac and see what they would charge you for a cover.

Ya i contacted them, they do not offer a replacement. But as long as it works fine im ok with it. I have an antec video card fan i can install right above the graphics card for added airflow.
  4. Best answer selected by k1ngkev1n1.
  5. COLGeek said:
    As long at the GPU temps don't get too high you should be fine. I would not OC that GPU without the shroud in place. The shroud helps to ensure all of the components that get hot have air flowing over them.

What happened for it to be missing?

I didnt ask why it was off, Figured 40$ was pretty good, got off craigslist he wanted 65$ i just said $40 and i picked it up was good for me.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics