Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my System

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2012 8:53:22 PM

I built a system about a year ago in 2012 and I want to upgrade it. I use my PC mostly to play games and I do enjoy livestreaming, I also record with fraps and use adobe premiere pro but rarely. I also host an MC Server with 2 of my friends, the PC that I use to play is the one I use to host.

I am thinking of either getting a core i7 with a Hyper 212 Evo and OCing it or get another 1TB.

PC SPECS

Mobo: MSI P67A-G45
CPU: core i5 2400 (stock cooler)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Kingston
GPU: MSI AMD 7950
HDD: 1TB 32mb Cache 7200rpm

More about : upgrading system

a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2012 9:16:01 PM

get the i7 definitely unless your harddrive is completely full also get a new z77 mobo for more upgrading potential in the future.
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:24:13 PM

I'm not getting a new mobo, the p67a supports sandy and ivy bridge and also overclocking, I am also happy about the amount of USBs it has 8USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0. I am also going to have then remove my CPU, reapply thermal paste, it's just work and not worth if, what does the z77 offer that my current mobo doesn't.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2012 9:31:15 PM

Altiris said:
I built a system about a year ago in 2012 and I want to upgrade it. I use my PC mostly to play games and I do enjoy livestreaming, I also record with fraps and use adobe premiere pro but rarely. I also host an MC Server with 2 of my friends, the PC that I use to play is the one I use to host.

I am thinking of either getting a core i7 with a Hyper 212 Evo and OCing it or get another 1TB.

PC SPECS

Mobo: MSI P67A-G45
CPU: core i5 2400 (stock cooler)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Kingston
GPU: MSI AMD 7950
HDD: 1TB 32mb Cache 7200rpm

If you live near a MicroCenter store, you can get an i7 3770K for $229. This is not an on-line price but only at the stores.
It will work with your motherboard as long as you are using BIOS V.5.1 dated 12 June 12.
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-G45--B3-.html#/?div=...
Update to this BIOS or the newer V.5.3 before you install the new CPU.

Another HDD is not a choice. You either need the capacity or you don't.

Newf.

m
l
December 25, 2012 9:53:31 PM

Yeah I've upgraded already, I don't really get what you mean by getting another HDD is not an option, I still have a lot of space, I have around 670-657gb free. The HDD would be used mostly to move steam games that I have finished playing and as a dedicated HDD to record with fraps, however I am not a youtuber or anything and I rarely record.
m
l
December 25, 2012 10:26:27 PM

Altiris said:
Yeah I've upgraded already...

So what you mean is that you have the latest BIOS update, not that you have already bought a new CPU in the last hour? :) 

Altiris said:
I don't really get what you mean by getting another HDD is not an option, I still have a lot of space, I have around 670-657gb free. The HDD would be used mostly to move steam games that I have finished playing and as a dedicated HDD to record with fraps, however I am not a youtuber or anything and I rarely record.

Since you are only using about 1/3 of your HDD capacity, there is no point to adding another one.
If you have some cash to burn, get an SSD for your OS and programs.
$160 for 250GB Samsung 840 looks like a great deal to me:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=77211
It's good till either they sell out or 1/2/13.
Most everyone else wants $185 or more.

Newf.

m
l
!