Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Crossfire or upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 7, 2012 7:49:37 PM

I have the Radeon 6850 and I was planning on adding a second card to crossfire, however certain issues have come up that weigh whether I should get a second card or buy an entirely new gen card.

1. My power supply is a 600w which is pushing it on whether it can run a crossfire setup or not
2. I've been told drivers have been quite spotty and results in bountiful amounts of game crashes.
3. My motherboard only has a pcie x16 and x4 slot, meaning I lose a significant amount of bandwidth in comparison to that of the x16 slot.
4. Because technology advances fast, a new architecture in amd/nvidia graphics could create a sharp increase of power per core making my crossfire obsolete in perspective.

If I shouldn't upgrade, what cards would make a decent upgrade?

If nothing is quite suitable for <300$ pricerange, should I just wait then?

More about : crossfire upgrade

a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2012 7:57:42 PM

I definitely recommend against Crossfire 6850s. Upgrade to a single card that's within your budget instead. For $300 you can get a very nice card.
m
0
l
November 7, 2012 8:02:47 PM

lastbluesun said:
I have the Radeon 6850 and I was planning on adding a second card to crossfire, however certain issues have come up that weigh whether I should get a second card or buy an entirely new gen card.

1. My power supply is a 600w which is pushing it on whether it can run a crossfire setup or not
2. I've been told drivers have been quite spotty and results in bountiful amounts of game crashes.
3. My motherboard only has a pcie x16 and x4 slot, meaning I lose a significant amount of bandwidth in comparison to that of the x16 slot.
4. Because technology advances fast, a new architecture in amd/nvidia graphics could create a sharp increase of power per core making my crossfire obsolete in perspective.

If I shouldn't upgrade, what cards would make a decent upgrade?

If nothing is quite suitable for <300$ pricerange, should I just wait then?

See if you can get a 7950 in that price range, most are a little over $300 but like by $30-$40. Would better than crossfire and you wouldn't have to worry about the psu.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 85 U Graphics card
November 7, 2012 8:03:46 PM

There are a lot of games that don't gain ANY benefit from crossfire, your motherboard will not support it well, and your power supply probably couldn't handle two cards as power-hoggy as the 6850.

The 8000 series of cards are said to have a 30% power bump over their respectively named cards, are rumored to launch even cheaper than the 7000 series did, and are coming out in a couple of months.

Even if you decide to do crossfire, do it then, when prices for older tech will drop. But personally? I'd just wait and get one of the sexy new cards.
m
0
l
November 7, 2012 8:07:19 PM

DarkSable said:
There are a lot of games that don't gain ANY benefit from crossfire, your motherboard will not support it well, and your power supply probably couldn't handle two cards as power-hoggy as the 6850.

The 8000 series of cards are said to have a 30% power bump over their respectively named cards, are rumored to launch even cheaper than the 7000 series did, and are coming out in a couple of months.

Even if you decide to do crossfire, do it then, when prices for older tech will drop. But personally? I'd just wait and get one of the sexy new cards.


If you can show me where it says that the 8000 series will be 30% better and slightly cheaper at launch, you are my savior and you get best answer. :D 
m
0
l
November 7, 2012 8:09:12 PM

chase3567 said:
See if you can get a 7950 in that price range, most are a little over $300 but like by $30-$40. Would better than crossfire and you wouldn't have to worry about the psu.



It would be better if I wasn't so close to the 300$ area, however the performance does seem pretty good for what it is.
m
0
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
November 7, 2012 8:12:44 PM

You have articulated 4 good reasons to do a replacement of your 6850.

Today, the 28nm cards are much more power efficient.
If your 600w psu is of decent quality, it can run cards as strong as a 7970 or GTX680.

In your price range, I think you can buy a 7950 or GTX660ti.
If you add in proceeds from marketing your 6850, even better.
Keep a sharp eye out for sales this season.

As to waiting, I would not. Yes, next spring, you will see new cards, but only a modest improvement in price performance.
m
0
l
!