Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Not able to crossfire msi lightning 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 7, 2012 9:26:50 PM

hello, I just received my second msi lighting 7970 in the mail today and was trying to crossfire it. for some reason, only one is being utilized. I tried switching the two in the primary slot, and they both work fine individually. my motherboard is MSI P67A-GD80 (B3).

I am literally getting worse fps than i was before in every game. and yes, i am running them in full screen.

any suggestions??

thanks!

More about : crossfire msi lightning 7970

November 7, 2012 10:53:28 PM

What are the rest of your computer specs?
m
0
l
November 7, 2012 11:03:13 PM

larkspur said:
What are the rest of your computer specs?

i5 2500k @ 3.8 ghz
12 gb ddr3 corsair vengeance ram
1000watt coolmax psu
m
0
l
Related resources
November 7, 2012 11:33:07 PM

I also get the message in an aml device install window that says

"the program cant start because opencl.dll is missing from your computer. thy reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

this message shows everytime i turn my computer on.
m
0
l
November 7, 2012 11:42:30 PM

my bad, the window is titled kdbsync.exe
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 12:25:20 AM

That sounds like a bad driver installation or a malware infection from what I just looked up. You could try an antivirus scan and then updating your drivers if you want too.

If you want to update them, remember to download and install Driver Fusion and follow these instructions:
Re-boot into safe mode.
normally uninstall all graphics drivers from AMD, Ati, Nvidia, and Intel that you have.
Re-boot into safe mode.
Run Driver fusion and use it to remove any remnants from AMD/AtiNvidia/Intel graphics drivers.
Re-boot into safe mode.
Run Driver fusion again to see if there is still anything left behind. If there is, then repeat the deletion-re-boot cycle until nothing is left. If some things persist after several such cycles, then report back and we'll see if we can find out what went wrong.
If you have no more complications, re-boot normally.
Install the newest AMD Catalyst drivers and any CAPs and other such stuff as necessary.
Try getting Crossfire to work again and report back to here on your success/failure.
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 1:28:25 AM

blazorthon said:
That sounds like a bad driver installation or a malware infection from what I just looked up. You could try an antivirus scan and then updating your drivers if you want too.

If you want to update them, remember to download and install Driver Fusion and follow these instructions:
Re-boot into safe mode.
normally uninstall all graphics drivers from AMD, Ati, Nvidia, and Intel that you have.
Re-boot into safe mode.
Run Driver fusion and use it to remove any remnants from AMD/AtiNvidia/Intel graphics drivers.
Re-boot into safe mode.
Run Driver fusion again to see if there is still anything left behind. If there is, then repeat the deletion-re-boot cycle until nothing is left. If some things persist after several such cycles, then report back and we'll see if we can find out what went wrong.
If you have no more complications, re-boot normally.
Install the newest AMD Catalyst drivers and any CAPs and other such stuff as necessary.
Try getting Crossfire to work again and report back to here on your success/failure.

i followed these instructions but everytime i rebooted in safe mode, the drivers still existed. so i rebooted in normal mode and i reinstalled ccc and drivers.
now, i cant even get into the ccc, and a message appears:

"could not load file or assembly 'cli.implementation' or one of its dependencies. the system cannot fine the file specified."
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 1:31:27 AM

plattman02 said:
i followed these instructions but everytime i rebooted in safe mode, the drivers still existed. so i rebooted in normal mode and i reinstalled ccc and drivers.
now, i cant even get into the ccc, and a message appears:

"could not load file or assembly 'cli.implementation' or one of its dependencies. the system cannot fine the file specified."


This is a more severe action, so don't do so without thinking about it, but you can go in the registry and search for all AMD graphics driver entries and delete them.
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 3:05:14 AM

blazorthon said:
This is a more severe action, so don't do so without thinking about it, but you can go in the registry and search for all AMD graphics driver entries and delete them.

...still no luck
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 3:08:45 AM

You could try re-installing Windows as an even more severe measure (IDK if there's anything else to try at this point)... Well, if you're willing to go that far.

Maybe you could try using the PCIe x4 slot, updating the BIOS, and/or switching which card has the monitor(s) attached.
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 3:52:41 AM

blazorthon said:
You could try re-installing Windows as an even more severe measure (IDK if there's anything else to try at this point)... Well, if you're willing to go that far.

Maybe you could try using the PCIe x4 slot, updating the BIOS, and/or switching which card has the monitor(s) attached.

i switched the cards, and that didnt work. when its in crossfire though, msi afterburner picks up that while in games, both cards are being used. but when i quit the game, every spec drops down to 0, even the temperature. i guess this is normal because crossfire is only used during fullscreen?? but the fps are literally below half of what they are with only 1 gpu.

earlier i got crossfire to work, played dirt 3 for about 5 minutes with amazing frame rates, and then my whole computer crashed.

also, when in crossfire, the frame rates in the benchmark Heaven are shown as exactly twice the frame rates as they are with only 1 gpu; but in both in crossfire and not, the benchmarks look EXACTLY the same. i know because the rates are so low a the beginning (27-29) and with crossfire on, it shows 54-58 fps, but they are the same rates, but are shown as different...... :( 
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 4:00:13 AM

plattman02 said:
i switched the cards, and that didnt work. when its in crossfire though, msi afterburner picks up that while in games, both cards are being used. but when i quit the game, every spec drops down to 0, even the temperature. i guess this is normal because crossfire is only used during fullscreen?? but the fps are literally below half of what they are with only 1 gpu.

earlier i got crossfire to work, played dirt 3 for about 5 minutes with amazing frame rates, and then my whole computer crashed.

also, when in crossfire, the frame rates in the benchmark Heaven are shown as exactly twice the frame rates as they are with only 1 gpu; but in both in crossfire and not, the benchmarks look EXACTLY the same. i know because the rates are so low a the beginning (27-29) and with crossfire on, it shows 54-58 fps, but they are the same rates, but are shown as different...... :( 


I know that you said that you tried switching the cards in the primary PCIe slots. I'm asking if you've tried using the third full-length PCIe slot, the PCIe x4 slot.
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 1:17:10 AM

blazorthon said:
I know that you said that you tried switching the cards in the primary PCIe slots. I'm asking if you've tried using the third full-length PCIe slot, the PCIe x4 slot.

i 'sort of' fixed it i guess. installed the amd 12.11 beta driver, but my gpu temps are getting to 97 degrees after only about 10 min of gameplay. and when the temps get that high, the fan screams, and the gpu usage dips and after a few seconds kicks back in again. this cycle just repeats itself every 8 seconds.
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 1:55:14 AM

Can you make the fan profile more aggressive?
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 8:54:48 PM

Looks like you are running out of power, what size psu do you have, if it is below 500watts rms you are too low. You need at a minimum like 475watts, so a corsair 600cx or an Antec neo eco 620watt would be slightly better, and they are over half off on newegg.com for ther mardigras sale which is a 48 hour sale that ends in like 36 hours.

If it is not you power I would try switching the cards around in the slots, and even better just try running the new card alone and make sure it isnt a bad card!
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 8:56:43 PM

Always leave fan on auto if you can, it works great that way as long as you have a decent psu, preferably non reference.
m
0
l
!