Sign in with
Your question

How to create a local network with 12 desktops

Last response: in Networking
December 14, 2011 9:18:44 AM

Hello,
how do i create a local network with 12 desktop computers and one printer. then i want the LAN connected to the World wide web. all the computers run a windows xp operating system. if there is anyone who can explain to me both the physical set up with less wire view in the room and software set up.
December 14, 2011 9:18:44 AM

Hello,
how do i create a local network with 12 desktop computers and one printer. then i want the LAN connected to the World wide web. all the computers run a windows xp operating system. if there is anyone who can explain to me both the physical set up with less wire view in the room and software set up.
December 14, 2011 4:37:21 PM

ISP Modem to a Router to a 24 port switch. Switch to the computers and the printer. You can either setup the printer with a direct IP connection to the computers as a Local Printer or setup a server to manage it and create a share for the printer for the other computers. Don't need any software aside from the printer drivers. If you need some advanced steps for setting up security, user accounts, etc.. it's a bit involved, get some books on networking or do some web searches.
Related resources
December 14, 2011 4:40:28 PM

basically you need a router, a 16 port switch, and network cables.

the router will assign IP to the computers so they can communicate to each other and to the internet.

right click on the folder you want to share on the network and setup the Sharing

same holds true for a local print to share it on the network.

if you have a network capable printer, it will have detailed instructions how to set it up
December 14, 2011 4:41:19 PM

This next topics has been merged by Emerald
  • How to create a local network with 12 desktops
    !