taintedducky

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I had a topic here a while ago asking for help. I dusted my pc out like people suggested. Turns out it wasn't the problem. My air flow is fine, as my 2500K idles at 35 degrees.

I really don't know what's causing my 570 to run so hot. It runs CS:GO at 89 degrees at 85% fan speed...
It runs Borderlands 2 at 92, Dishonored at 92, and it idles at around 48..

What can I do? I'm not really comfortable taking apart my GPU but I can find someone who is probably.

taintedducky

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I'm not scared of the card overheating, it's just that I'm really annoyed that it's running so loudly.

I just ran MSI kombuster, and got about 95 degrees in about a minute and 30 seconds.

I'm sort of nervous reapplying paste to the GPU because I don't really want to open my card up and risk screwing something up

G

even though you dusted your case the heatsink on those can get clogged with dust balls. i had a 9600GT with a fan at the end of the shroud, like your 570, and would have to use a vaccum cleaner to pull them out.

there are only a few screws holding the heatsink on; re-applying TP is as easy or easier than a cpu set up. then you can get a closer inspection if there are any dust balls in the heatsink too.

taintedducky

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
1. About a year and 2 months
2. It's the cooler that came with the 570, yes
3. It's a HAF 932, so 1 medium one, 1 big one, and 1 small one
4. I only have dust filters for my front fan that wouldn't really affect the GPU

My air flow is fine

Edit: It's actually about a year and a half ._.

You never know until you actually check the cooler. The good news is that the shroud easily detaches from the card exposing the cooler. The cooler block is also easy to remove without bothering with the mid plate. Replace with a much higher quality thermal compound only as a thin layer. As for the fan profile the stock profiles that keep the fan at ridiculously low speeds allows for such high temps. It helps to just set the fan speed at 60 or 80% then leave it. You will get used to the noise and it will stabilize the temps in the high 70s to mid 80s. Beyond that you are stuck and remember your card uses 225w stock at full load so there will be plenty of thermal buildup. You can try to improve the airflow with the use of a EVGA high flow bracket and a little paper to make sure all the heat gets dumped outside the case.

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Referance coolers will have dust in them. A year would be more than enough to have dust jammed up inside your gpu. Go look up some videos on how to access the heatsink of your gtx 570. if possible, get new thermal paste for the whole gpu. it should be easy