Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case causing resets

Michael_23

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello,
I have this case and often when I plug in a USB cable or my headphones in the front jacks it often resets my computer. The first time it caused the CPU to only have five cores but I was able to recover the sixth. My build has the Asus Crosshair IV and a six core AMD CPU. I'm running with 16gigs of corsair Vengeance DDR3 (1600) RAM and (2) AMD Radeon HD 6870 in crossfire config. This case is painted inside and out and I am assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that, that's the problem, everything is floating. Is there any reasonable way to ground this case, the mobo, the input jacks etc? Thanks for listening.
Michael

jemm

Distinguished
Have you tried to connected your devices to the back of the case? It will be connected directed to the motherboard -- if by doing so all work fine, then yes, there is a problem with the case front panel USB connector.

Michael_23

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Yes, plugging directly into the motherboard USB does not have any issues. It's only when I try to plug into the remote case specific USB or mic. or audio that the computer resets.

Michael_23

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Well, thank you for that. As I said, it also resets when I plug headphones or a mic in. This case is painted before it is assembled. When I check continuity with a meter, each section is electrically isolated. Even though the remote USB/accessory plug that plugs into the mother board has a shielded ground connector I fear that it doesn't work since the power supply is, as is everything in this case, also isolated from the main board metal of the case. The USB connector, when I get it plugged in without "shocking" the floating plug, works just fine.