Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What gpu should I get for pcie 1.0a

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2012 1:52:42 AM

Hello,
I have a Gateway 504GR Pentium 4 HT 3.0, 3.49 GB ram, 300W psu running XP Pro (32).
My question is what graphics card should I get that will be supported by my pcie 1.0a - I have been using a GeForce 6600 (non-GT) for quite a few years now but finally crashed/burned or something and would like to just upgrade the card to the highest point without having to get anything else (except a new psu if needed). any ideas?

More about : gpu pcie

a c 268 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 2:44:24 AM

Since pcie 1.0/2.0/3.0 are all forward and backwards compatible, that will not be an issue.
You can use any card that physically fits your case and uses a pcie-x16 slot.
The strongest card that will not need an updated psu might be the 7750.
m
l
November 8, 2012 5:36:57 AM

geofelt said:
Since pcie 1.0/2.0/3.0 are all forward and backwards compatible, that will not be an issue.
You can use any card that physically fits your case and uses a pcie-x16 slot.
The strongest card that will not need an updated psu might be the 7750.

Thanks for the info - I had been kinda looking at the geforce 9800 gt but it uses about 2x the power of that radeon 7750 so I think I'll start pricing that one out.
m
l
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 6:16:52 AM

While true that PCIe is compatible, I've heard rumors of 2.0 cards having issues in 1.0 boards. I would update the bios on that board before you try, and make sure whoever you buy from has a good return policy. You might even want to borrow a card first and see if it works.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I wouldn't bother with the 7750 if you are staying with that P4. You can go down a card or two and not loose anything in performance.
m
l
November 8, 2012 6:20:45 PM

I am planning on staying with this p4 at least for awhile - it will become my daughter's school computer when I build one in a year or so (she's only 6 so she doesn't need much...haha). I still play older games on it though - C&C, Age of Empires 3, etc. and was somehow pulling off skyrim on low settings (was really laggy at times but I could run around the city stealing stuff) =P Do you recommend I stay in the 6/7 series then geforce/radeon equililent? I will probably end up getting a 500W psu just to be safe either way
m
l
a c 363 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 11:57:17 PM

PCI-e 2.0 cards are 100% backwards compatible.

It is the PCI-e 2.1 cards that a few people have reported compatibility problems with PCI-e 1.0/1.1 slots. While rare, some people have had issues.

It is currently unknown if PCI-e 3.0 cards are actually 100% backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.0/1.1 slots because most gamers do not have such old motherboards anymore. They have more current mobos with PCI-e 2.0 slots and PCI-e 3.0 graphic cards are 100% compatible with them.
m
l

Best solution

a c 268 U Graphics card
November 9, 2012 3:51:04 PM

cheap noob said:
I am planning on staying with this p4 at least for awhile - it will become my daughter's school computer when I build one in a year or so (she's only 6 so she doesn't need much...haha). I still play older games on it though - C&C, Age of Empires 3, etc. and was somehow pulling off skyrim on low settings (was really laggy at times but I could run around the city stealing stuff) =P Do you recommend I stay in the 6/7 series then geforce/radeon equililent? I will probably end up getting a 500W psu just to be safe either way

I would look to the newer 28nm based cards. That currently is the Nvidia GTX6xx and the Amd 7xxx cards.
They take less power,run cooler, and quieter.

A quality 500w psu will run a card as strong as a GTX670 or a 7950.
December 5, 2012 4:02:10 PM

Best answer selected by cheap noob.
m
l
!