Gaming PC Build ($1000 +/- $200)

folterknecht

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hey, I am new to the forums and fairly new to building computers. I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys can provide to made this happen. Thanks in advance!

I am looking the best gaming rig that this can get me to play the latest and future games on max settings. Please give a fair explanation with each build so I can better understand what you are getting at and why.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next few months

Budget Range: Approx. $1000 (give or take $200)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming > media usage/surfing

Parts Not Required: Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever you think is best

Parts Preferences: No preference as long as sourced reliably

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Notes: DVD/CD-R Drive required.

Thanks for the help.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Try this...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1154.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-25 22:49 EST-0500)

CPU
The i5 3570k is one of the best gaming processors out there. It's a strong performing true quad core processor. It can be overclocked for extra performance if desired.

CPU Cooler
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is one of the best bang for the buck processors out there. It can easily get you a stable 4.5GHz overclock with the 3570k.

Motherboard
Currently priced at $120. There isn't a motherboard out there that can beat it at this price range. It gives you all the features a $180 motherboard has. It's also a great board for overclocking and has support for SLI/Crossfire.

Memory
What can I say. It's standard 8gb of RAM. It's the cheapest set of DDR3 1600MHz RAM out there. It has a CAS latency of 9. One of the best sets of RAM for the money.

Storage
I just went with a 1tb HDD for media storage. It's a 7200RPM Seagate drive. They are fairly reliable and have plenty of speed for a mechanical HDD. However, where we're gonna get our speed is from the SSD. I included a 128gb Crucial M4 for storing your OS on, some games or other applications that you need fast access to.

GPU
I chose the GTX 670 for it's raw performance. It will easily allow you to max out your visual settings in games at a constant 60 FPS. Additionally, it can also be overclocked. MSI is one of the best brands out there. If you want, you can grab the Gigabyte version with it's 3 fan custom cooling design. It's a great option as well.

Case
One of the best cases out there in its price range. It offers superior air flow, cable management and aesthetics. It's easy to work with and has a beautiful design (in my opinion). This is a personal choice. You're more than welcome to switch this out for something more suitable to your tastes.

PSU
It's made by XFX which uses the same parts in their power supplies as does Seasonic. It's rated for 750 watts and is 80+ Silver certified. It's also modular which makes cable management a breeze. This power supply will be necessary if you plan on running a SLI/Crossfire configuration in the future.

Optical Drive
Doesn't really matter. Just chose the cheapest they had. You really only need it to install Windows.

Operating System
I chose Windows 7 because it's fast, stable and familiar. It's a great OS. If you want, feel free to grab a copy of Windows 8.

Solution