What parts do I need to upgrade?

drpastah

Honorable
May 23, 2012
This compute was bought about 4 years ago and right now I'm experiencing a lot of lag in Planetside 2 and other games. I basically want to be able to run games at 60+ fps, preferably at the max settings.

This is what I have right now:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (over clocked the core speed to 3.5 GHz, says 3.72 GHz in Computer>Properties)
Video Card: BFG GTX 285 OC
Motherboard: EVGA 750i SLI FTW
RAM: 4 of 2GB G.Skill DDR2 (1066 MHz I assume)
Power Supply: Crosshair 750W

I assume I just need to update my video card but I'm really worried about bottlenecking. Do I need to buy a complete new system?

Solution
Edit your post and remove the "bump" otherwise the thread would be closed. get the Asus Direct CU II GTX 560ti, it's very powerful for your needs and compatible.

GDDR5 of VRAM is different than the standard RAM.

Now you're good to go, pull the trigger on the card and save a bunch of the whole system upgrade later.

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Update bios.
Update hdd/ssd firmware.
Change cmos battery.
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.
Clean all fans its enough for this system.
core2quad can support latest gpus but u r mobo is not fully utilise latest gpus.also 4y psu can affect new gpus life.
so upgrade is waste of money for u r build.

i run that processor in my gamer. until FarCry3 came along i ran everything fine maxed out ( 1920x1200 ) with a 6950 2gig card. nw i'm having a few problems and need to make adjustments.

the video card IS the limiting factor in your case. maybe a gtx660/660ti or similar but no more............ unless you go for the gusto and decide to do a major overhaul in the next year or so and want to carry a better card over to your next build.

start saving your pennies. I already have another gaming build going. will finish sometime this coming year. if you wait 6 or 8 month's to start yours, you'll be buying better components ( and faster ) than i have right now.

drpastah

Honorable
May 23, 2012

1280X1024

Do I really need a new system? I thought the mobo, RAM and CPU weren't that bad.

How much would I need to spend to be able to run things at highest settings at 60+ fps?

Would buying a new graphics card at least get me to run things at 60+ fps at medium-high settings?

Yes, at this resolution yeah. HD 7850 will be an overkill for such a resolution. If you're planing to upgrade your monitor to 1080P, step up to HD 7870. Even HD 7850 can max out all the modern games at 1080P.

drpastah

Honorable
May 23, 2012

The main problem I have with Planetside 2 is that it keeps going to 10 FPS when there's a lot of things happened (players mainly), even on the lowest settings. Would a new video card actually keep my fps nice and smooth above 30? And for other games, the game just like to freeze sometimes randomly.

I'm planning to stick with a small monitor since it's easier to see everything in the game. I probably won't for a 1080P monitor for a while.

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I'd recommed getting an SSD (120GB minimum)
And a new graphics card (560Ti or there abouts)
Plus a new monitor (1650x1080 or 1920x1080 - around 19"-22")

That is, unless you want to rebuild your PC at any point soon, which would see me recommending a better graphics card (for more money obviously) to go with a future system - but the other parts stay the same.

I have a PC here;
Q6600 (@4Ghz)
8GB ram
560Ti

That I gave to my brother when I built my new rig, Plays Planetside 2 and Farcry 3 fine (not on max settings obviously, but still pretty high and playable)

drpastah

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I'm looking at this card here: http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=514&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20560

And it seems that is has GDDR5 and Memory Bandwidth of 128.1GB/sec.

My mobo has memory support for DDR2 and I'm not sure about the max bandwidth.

Isn't this not-compatible/bottlenecking?

Also how do I know what brand I should go with? Asus? EVGA? GIGABYTE?

I see this card has 2 nice stockfans on it but is lower specs than the other: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=036683

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=039805

I've never heard of Zotac.

I'm overlockcing my CPU so I assume it should be enough for now.

I only have $400 to spend! Also I don't care about the monitor. As I said from before, I prefer smaller screens since I don't need to use my peripherals to game.

Edit your post and remove the "bump" otherwise the thread would be closed. get the Asus Direct CU II GTX 560ti, it's very powerful for your needs and compatible.

GDDR5 of VRAM is different than the standard RAM.

Now you're good to go, pull the trigger on the card and save a bunch of the whole system upgrade later.

Solution

zpwslayer

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012
I have an AMD B93 quad core cpu, 8 gigs of ram, and an evga gtx 285, and planetside 2 runs on max settings at right around 40-50 fps. If you want more preformance, a new gpu would give you what you need.