cataloging software?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 3, 2005 4:44:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hi all.

I have many years of slides and prints that I want to catalog,
thousands and thousands. In the (near??) future I may also start
accumulating digital images, with a digital Nikon and/or a scanner.

I like to record a lot of details about most of my photos. Not just
date and subject, but also location. I do a lot of railroad
photography, and I like to record a lot of specific information on the
subject. E.g. train numbers or station names, the kind of information
that should be in a database.

For the relatively few B&W prints I have done, I have recorded paper
type, exposure time, magnification time. When I start scanning, I
will probably want to record scanner settings.

The idea is that I could search my collection for a specific subject,
or list out all images of a certain category in a given location, or a
given time range, as examples. Or if I'm not satisfied with a scan of
a slide or negative, I can go back and redo the scan with different
settings and compare the results.

So I'm wondering if there are any database applications designed
specifically for photography and highly adaptable, or even modifiable
by the user. Note that I am NOT asking about software for organizing
digital images in directories or doing a slideshow.

If it matters, I would prefer software that runs under Windows, but
I'm open to Linux-based software.

Thank you.

More about : cataloging software

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:55:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:44:13 -0700, Father Kodak
<dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I have many years of slides and prints that I want to catalog,
>thousands and thousands. In the (near??) future I may also start
>accumulating digital images, with a digital Nikon and/or a scanner.
>
>I like to record a lot of details about most of my photos. Not just
>date and subject, but also location. I do a lot of railroad
>photography, and I like to record a lot of specific information on the
>subject. E.g. train numbers or station names, the kind of information
>that should be in a database.
>
>For the relatively few B&W prints I have done, I have recorded paper
>type, exposure time, magnification time. When I start scanning, I
>will probably want to record scanner settings.
>
>The idea is that I could search my collection for a specific subject,
>or list out all images of a certain category in a given location, or a
>given time range, as examples. Or if I'm not satisfied with a scan of
>a slide or negative, I can go back and redo the scan with different
>settings and compare the results.
>
>So I'm wondering if there are any database applications designed
>specifically for photography and highly adaptable, or even modifiable
>by the user. Note that I am NOT asking about software for organizing
>digital images in directories or doing a slideshow.
>
>If it matters, I would prefer software that runs under Windows, but
>I'm open to Linux-based software.
>
>Thank you.

Extensis Portfolio 6 or 7 will do all those things for you.
June 3, 2005 6:25:00 PM

"Father Kodak" <dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I have many years of slides and prints that I want to catalog,
> thousands and thousands. In the (near??) future I may also start
> accumulating digital images, with a digital Nikon and/or a scanner.
>
> I like to record a lot of details about most of my photos. Not just
> date and subject, but also location. I do a lot of railroad
> photography, and I like to record a lot of specific information on the
> subject. E.g. train numbers or station names, the kind of information
> that should be in a database.
>
> For the relatively few B&W prints I have done, I have recorded paper
> type, exposure time, magnification time. When I start scanning, I
> will probably want to record scanner settings.
>
> The idea is that I could search my collection for a specific subject,
> or list out all images of a certain category in a given location, or a
> given time range, as examples. Or if I'm not satisfied with a scan of
> a slide or negative, I can go back and redo the scan with different
> settings and compare the results.
>
> So I'm wondering if there are any database applications designed
> specifically for photography and highly adaptable, or even modifiable
> by the user. Note that I am NOT asking about software for organizing
> digital images in directories or doing a slideshow.
>
> If it matters, I would prefer software that runs under Windows, but
> I'm open to Linux-based software.
>
> Thank you.

I would use Excel, the Microsoft spread sheet program. First number each
slide with an "S" number, and each print with a "P" number. Then put them in
the spread sheet, together with columns describing all the parameters you
want. Excel can be sorted on any column, so you can generate lists sorted by
subject matter, exposure, film type, or whatever you want, and when sorted,
all the other information will go along with the particular sort. I have
used Excel this way in the past to sort other things, with very good
results.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:13:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <je20a1d6erbieg9b826fnfmslk7iernpis@4ax.com>,
Father Kodak <dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>I have many years of slides and prints that I want to catalog,
>thousands and thousands. In the (near??) future I may also start
>accumulating digital images, with a digital Nikon and/or a scanner.
>
>I like to record a lot of details about most of my photos. Not just
>date and subject, but also location. I do a lot of railroad
>photography, and I like to record a lot of specific information on the
>subject. E.g. train numbers or station names, the kind of information
>that should be in a database.

Lots of things which I should have been doing through the years,
but never did. :-)

>For the relatively few B&W prints I have done, I have recorded paper
>type, exposure time, magnification time. When I start scanning, I
>will probably want to record scanner settings.
>
>The idea is that I could search my collection for a specific subject,
>or list out all images of a certain category in a given location, or a
>given time range, as examples. Or if I'm not satisfied with a scan of
>a slide or negative, I can go back and redo the scan with different
>settings and compare the results.
>
>So I'm wondering if there are any database applications designed
>specifically for photography and highly adaptable, or even modifiable
>by the user. Note that I am NOT asking about software for organizing
>digital images in directories or doing a slideshow.
>
>If it matters, I would prefer software that runs under Windows, but
>I'm open to Linux-based software.

Well ... for images stored as JPEGs, on the linux based system,
you could get the JPEG libraries (if they are not already there), and
use in particular,

wrjpgcom

(one of the applications supplied with the library) to write your
comments *into* the image file. It can either take comment information
on the command line (for simple comments), or can take them from a file
(which lets you edit the comments into a format of your choosing, with
an editor of your choosing). Or, you can feed it all in in a pipeline,
if that is more convenient. (Say -- write a shell script to gather the
information, and to call wrjegcom when it is all ready.)

You have the option to leave any existing comments already
present, or replace them with your own. I would check to see whether
the camera uses the comment blocks before overwriting any existing ones.
The EXIF information seems to be separately stored.

Later, you (or another program) can use

rdjpgcom

to read the comments. Write a script to echo the filename and then use
the rdjpgcom program to add it all to a database -- plain text or
whatever database program you happen to prefer.

Presumably, there are similar tools to write and read comments
in jpegs for Windows or Macs, but unix (of which linux is an example) is
what I know and use.

Enjoy,
DoN.
June 4, 2005 1:44:16 AM

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham <weg9@comcast.net> wrote:

> I would use Excel, the Microsoft spread sheet program. First number each
> slide with an "S" number, and each print with a "P" number. Then put them in
> the spread sheet, together with columns describing all the parameters you
> want. Excel can be sorted on any column, so you can generate lists sorted by
> subject matter, exposure, film type, or whatever you want, and when sorted,
> all the other information will go along with the particular sort. I have
> used Excel this way in the past to sort other things, with very good
> results.

Have you looked at a database program?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:44:17 AM

"Sander Vesik" <sander@haldjas.folklore.ee> wrote in message
> In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham <weg9@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I would use Excel, the Microsoft spread sheet program. First number each
>> slide with an "S" number, and each print with a "P" number. Then put them
>> in
>> the spread sheet, together with columns describing all the parameters you
>> want. Excel can be sorted on any column, so you can generate lists sorted
>> by
>> subject matter, exposure, film type, or whatever you want, and when
>> sorted,
>> all the other information will go along with the particular sort. I have
>> used Excel this way in the past to sort other things, with very good
>> results.
>>

> Have you looked at a database program?

No....I have never had a database program. Would they do the same thing as
Excel, only better? I tend to dislike new software, so I wouldn't buy
anything unless I needed it. (I am basically mentally lazy)
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:23:07 PM

William Graham wrote:

> "Father Kodak" <dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote in message
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I have many years of slides and prints that I want to catalog,
>> thousands and thousands. In the (near??) future I may also start
>> accumulating digital images, with a digital Nikon and/or a scanner.
>>

>> I like to record a lot of details about most of my photos. Not just
>> date and subject, but also location. I do a lot of railroad
>> photography, and I like to record a lot of specific information on
>> the subject. E.g. train numbers or station names, the kind of
>> information that should be in a database.
>>
>> For the relatively few B&W prints I have done, I have recorded
>> paper type, exposure time, magnification time. When I start
>> scanning, I will probably want to record scanner settings.
>>
>> The idea is that I could search my collection for a specific
>> subject, or list out all images of a certain category in a given
>> location, or a given time range, as examples. Or if I'm not
>> satisfied with a scan of a slide or negative, I can go back and
>> redo the scan with different settings and compare the results.
>>
>> So I'm wondering if there are any database applications designed
>> specifically for photography and highly adaptable, or even
>> modifiable by the user. Note that I am NOT asking about software
>> for organizing digital images in directories or doing a slideshow.
>>
>> If it matters, I would prefer software that runs under Windows, but
>> I'm open to Linux-based software.
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> I would use Excel, the Microsoft spread sheet program. First number
> each slide with an "S" number, and each print with a "P" number. Then
> put them in the spread sheet, together with columns describing all
> the parameters you want. Excel can be sorted on any column, so you
> can generate lists sorted by subject matter, exposure, film type, or
> whatever you want, and when sorted, all the other information will go
> along with the particular sort. I have used Excel this way in the
> past to sort other things, with very good results.

In my case, with over 10,000 slides and uncounted negatives, I don't
think I'd use Excel. A simple access database can be setup pretty quick
and queries developed as you go.

My stuff is filed by subject matter only. It's not terrfibly efficient,
but I can usually find a specific photo within 15 minutes.

Cheers,
alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:40:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:23:07 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>In my case, with over 10,000 slides and uncounted negatives, I don't
>think I'd use Excel. A simple access database can be setup pretty quick
>and queries developed as you go.
>
>My stuff is filed by subject matter only. It's not terrfibly efficient,
>but I can usually find a specific photo within 15 minutes.

The nicest thing about portfolio is once you set up the fields for the
database everything is searchable, including exif data, and it will
actually retrieve the images for you. As well, when set up properly
it will build your catalogue automatically, without your input, from
a folder you create to store your images in. It will also tell you
what CD or DVD the image is stored on. It also has a user friendly
interface that displays your images-a lot like ACDsee.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:54:54 PM

McLeod wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:23:07 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>In my case, with over 10,000 slides and uncounted negatives, I don't
>>think I'd use Excel. A simple access database can be setup pretty quick
>>and queries developed as you go.
>>
>>My stuff is filed by subject matter only. It's not terrfibly efficient,
>>but I can usually find a specific photo within 15 minutes.
>

> The nicest thing about portfolio is once you set up the fields for the
> database everything is searchable, including exif data, and it will
> actually retrieve the images for you. As well, when set up properly
> it will build your catalogue automatically, without your input, from
> a folder you create to store your images in. It will also tell you
> what CD or DVD the image is stored on. It also has a user friendly
> interface that displays your images-a lot like ACDsee.

Portfolio is used to catalogue images at one of Australia's largest
regional newspapers whom I print post publication photos for. The
interface is clunky and the procedures for establishing criteria are
hazy but one thing Extensis portfolio is not, is a system just anyone
can buy and expect use out of the box. Worse than this it is not
portable outside the network.

I've had a few goes at cataloging my own image collection dating back to
pre Christian era it sometimes feels like and the last program I would
recommend for anyone not totally comfortable with database use and
creation is portfolio.

In the hands of an experienced system administrator who knows absolutely
what is needed from the start (and therefore doesn't need portfolio in
the first place) The stuff is great but really, who in a small business
or home studio situation would fit that description?

Thumbs Plus is a lot easier to live with but for me, I decide on the
"keep-it-simple-stupid" approach and use archive creator to build
collections of CDs with a visual catalogue of the entire collection on
each disk.

That way I can browse the catalogue visually and descriptively. It might
not be a flash database but a simple web page I keep, which I add to
weekly tells me which collection number has what images and any disc
from that collection will let me see the photos and tell me which disc
has the ones I want.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.

Ryadia@Home wrote:

> Thumbs Plus is a lot easier to live with but for me...

This is also the one I use. I occasionally look around at other similar
programs, but this is the one I keep coming back to (for Windows). It's
easy and very flexible. My only real complaint with it is the digicam
RAW plugin (separate, but free download) is slow reading my Nikon NEF
files. Other than that it's a great organizational tool at a decent
price (although I keep putting of the upgrade to the latest version for
some reason).

They have a free trial version: <http://cerious.com/&gt;

Randy.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:54:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:54:54 +1000, "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Worse than this it is not
>portable outside the network.

I'm not sure if I understand your meaning on this. Could you explain?
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:45:44 PM

McLeod wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:23:07 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>In my case, with over 10,000 slides and uncounted negatives, I don't
>>think I'd use Excel. A simple access database can be setup pretty quick
>>and queries developed as you go.
>>
>>My stuff is filed by subject matter only. It's not terrfibly efficient,
>>but I can usually find a specific photo within 15 minutes.
>

> The nicest thing about portfolio is once you set up the fields for the
> database everything is searchable, including exif data, and it will
> actually retrieve the images for you. As well, when set up properly
> it will build your catalogue automatically, without your input, from
> a folder you create to store your images in. It will also tell you
> what CD or DVD the image is stored on. It also has a user friendly
> interface that displays your images-a lot like ACDsee.

That last feature, linking the image to the backup|library DVD ref.
would be great. They're piling up.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:30:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:40:20 -0400, McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:23:07 -0400, Alan Browne
><alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>The nicest thing about portfolio is once you set up the fields for the
>database everything is searchable, including exif data, and it will

Uh, how do I get EXIF data for Tri-X that is filed in glassine
envelopes, in strips of six? If it matters, it was developed in D-76
or Edwal FG-7, or perhaps Rodinal. Properly stop-bath-ed and fixed
and washed, I sure hope.

>actually retrieve the images for you. As well, when set up properly

Gosh, what an interface. Here I have these slides stored in Neumade
cabinets, or just in yellow boxes inside bigger boxes, and Portfolio
can retrieve these images for me. Wowzers.

>it will build your catalogue automatically, without your input, from
>a folder you create to store your images in. It will also tell you

Again, seriously, I have I dunno-know many slides and negatives, not
images. Most of these will never be digitized, just printed or
projected.

>what CD or DVD the image is stored on. It also has a user friendly
>interface that displays your images-a lot like ACDsee.

I'm afraid that you and the others who recommended Portfolio missed my
point. I haven't been shooting digital like crazy.

I need some sort of DATABASE program, into which I can enter data.
Sure, if I can import some of that data from EXIF or other
camera-info, that is nice. My N90s includes the data back, and I
would like to download the data from this back into my future
database.

I don't mean to rave-and-rant, but some of us have been doing
photography since before the advent and popularity of digital
photography. (I won't even talk about pre-SLR rangefinders.) Some of
us, benighted as we might be, still do film. I'm still 100%
film-based. And even after I get a digital Nikon body, I will still
continue to use film for "projects" and "experiments," like infrared.

So let me restate. I'm looking for a database program, not an
image-management program that also has some "data" features.

Kodak
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:52:08 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> McLeod wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:23:07 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>In my case, with over 10,000 slides and uncounted negatives, I don't
>>>think I'd use Excel. A simple access database can be setup pretty quick
>>>and queries developed as you go.
>>>
>>>My stuff is filed by subject matter only. It's not terrfibly efficient,
>>>but I can usually find a specific photo within 15 minutes.
>>

>> The nicest thing about portfolio is once you set up the fields for the
>> database everything is searchable, including exif data, and it will
>> actually retrieve the images for you. As well, when set up properly
>> it will build your catalogue automatically, without your input, from
>> a folder you create to store your images in. It will also tell you
>> what CD or DVD the image is stored on. It also has a user friendly
>> interface that displays your images-a lot like ACDsee.
>
> That last feature, linking the image to the backup|library DVD ref. would
> be great. They're piling up.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

In my case, there is no way that I can conceive of scanning all my slides
into a computer, and no reason why I would want to do that.....Perhaps
that's why Excel would work fine for me....I would just number the slides
and leave them where they are now. In cardboard boxes. All I need is enough
information on each slide to identify it. Excel would do this fine for me.
Then, once I have its number, I can simply go to the right box, and take it
out and view it.....
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:27:37 AM

McLeod wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:54:54 +1000, "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Worse than this it is not
>>portable outside the network.
>

> I'm not sure if I understand your meaning on this. Could you explain?

If you don't own a copy of the program, you can't use the database.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.
Now you can put your photos on it too!
http://www.canvasphotos.com.au
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:12:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:30:54 -0700, Father Kodak
<dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:

>I don't mean to rave-and-rant, but some of us have been doing
>photography since before the advent and popularity of digital
>photography. (I won't even talk about pre-SLR rangefinders.) Some of
>us, benighted as we might be, still do film. I'm still 100%
>film-based. And even after I get a digital Nikon body, I will still
>continue to use film for "projects" and "experiments," like infrared.

I'm sorry. I assumed since you were posting on a dslr group you were.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:19:45 AM

William Graham wrote:

> In my case, there is no way that I can conceive of scanning all my slides
> into a computer, and no reason why I would want to do that.....Perhaps
> that's why Excel would work fine for me....I would just number the slides
> and leave them where they are now. In cardboard boxes. All I need is enough
> information on each slide to identify it. Excel would do this fine for me.
> Then, once I have its number, I can simply go to the right box, and take it
> out and view it.....

Excel can do that... then you'll have a very long spreadsheet. The idea
of a database is to hide the 'base' from the user and use
dialogs/searches to find the records of interest in the database.

A spreadsheet is a tool for manipulating unique bits of information.

A database is a tool for storing and retriving information.

Each can do a little of what the other does; each is a master only at
what it is designed to do.

Setting up an Access database for a particular task is initially more
work than setting up a spreadsheet;
entering data in a database is much less effort than adding data to a
spreadsheet.

Your poison.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:39:05 PM

news:D 817vv$cc2$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> William Graham wrote:
>

>> In my case, there is no way that I can conceive of scanning all my slides
>> into a computer, and no reason why I would want to do that.....Perhaps
>> that's why Excel would work fine for me....I would just number the slides
>> and leave them where they are now. In cardboard boxes. All I need is
>> enough information on each slide to identify it. Excel would do this fine
>> for me. Then, once I have its number, I can simply go to the right box,
>> and take it out and view it.....
>
> Excel can do that... then you'll have a very long spreadsheet. The idea
> of a database is to hide the 'base' from the user and use dialogs/searches
> to find the records of interest in the database.
>
> A spreadsheet is a tool for manipulating unique bits of information.
>
> A database is a tool for storing and retriving information.
>
> Each can do a little of what the other does; each is a master only at what
> it is designed to do.
>
> Setting up an Access database for a particular task is initially more work
> than setting up a spreadsheet;
> entering data in a database is much less effort than adding data to a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Your poison.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Now you've got me interested....I guess I'm going to have to "bite the
bullet" and buy one of these programs....Having to put up with a screen full
of "spreadsheet" is one of the more annoying things about Excel.......
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 7:18:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:12:39 -0400, McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:30:54 -0700, Father Kodak
><dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:
>
>>I don't mean to rave-and-rant, but some of us have been doing
>>photography since before the advent and popularity of digital
>>photography. (I won't even talk about pre-SLR rangefinders.) Some of
>>us, benighted as we might be, still do film. I'm still 100%
>>film-based. And even after I get a digital Nikon body, I will still
>>continue to use film for "projects" and "experiments," like infrared.
>
>I'm sorry. I assumed since you were posting on a dslr group you were.

Well, I posted to two rec.photo groups, one for 35 mm and one for
digital. Honestly though, Nikon vs. Canon or digital vs. 35 mm, if
you read these groups, you would think that people fighting about
life-and-death matters.

Folks, ease up. for most of us, it's either a hobby or a profession.
Either way, please show some respect for the person who may have
different needs/interests than you. People should be free to choose
what best suits them, without having to endure hostility from those
who have chosen differently.

Kodak (or is my 'nym' an issue also? Should we have a flame war about
Kodak vs Fuji vs. Agfa)
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 7:24:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 07:44:49 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>McLeod wrote:

>Next thing you know he'll be asking for someone to recommend the best
>camera/flash combination to make pictues in those nasty ol' car
>museums, like that _other_ obnoxious ingrate.

Frank, Your comments are highly offensive. I'm new to this group, so
Ii don't know about this other person and his/her questions. I would
like to know which part of my questions indicates that I am an
obnoxious ingrate? I tried to ask a reasonable question, albeit not
the same old question that has been rehashed since before Kodak
doubled ASA ratings ( ... around 1958, I believe.)

In one of the PC newsgroups I read, there are several flamer posters,
notably a Ron Reaugh or Rod Speed, plus Eric Gisin, Folkert and a
couple others. In the short time that I have been reading this group,
I see that this group has George Preddy. Anyone else who likes to
assert their superiority by putting down other people?

F K
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:18:59 -0700, Father Kodak
<dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:

>>I'm sorry. I assumed since you were posting on a dslr group you were.
>

>Well, I posted to two rec.photo groups, one for 35 mm and one for
>digital. Honestly though, Nikon vs. Canon or digital vs. 35 mm, if
>you read these groups, you would think that people fighting about
>life-and-death matters.
>
>Folks, ease up. for most of us, it's either a hobby or a profession.
>Either way, please show some respect for the person who may have
>different needs/interests than you. People should be free to choose
>what best suits them, without having to endure hostility from those
>who have chosen differently.
>
>Kodak (or is my 'nym' an issue also? Should we have a flame war about
>Kodak vs Fuji vs. Agfa)

It was an honest apology for my error. Maybe you should relax a
little and either accept it or not.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:15:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

i think you'll find thumbsplus www.cerious.com will handle both photos
and all the data you have ... its apparently used by nasa and a few
other major companies as i recollect ... i use it and like it
....otherwise no interest in the company ...

steve emmet

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:30:54 -0700, Father Kodak
<dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:40:20 -0400, McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:23:07 -0400, Alan Browne
>><alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>

>>The nicest thing about portfolio is once you set up the fields for the
>>database everything is searchable, including exif data, and it will
>
>Uh, how do I get EXIF data for Tri-X that is filed in glassine
>envelopes, in strips of six? If it matters, it was developed in D-76
>or Edwal FG-7, or perhaps Rodinal. Properly stop-bath-ed and fixed
>and washed, I sure hope.
>
>>actually retrieve the images for you. As well, when set up properly
>
>Gosh, what an interface. Here I have these slides stored in Neumade
>cabinets, or just in yellow boxes inside bigger boxes, and Portfolio
>can retrieve these images for me. Wowzers.
>

>>it will build your catalogue automatically, without your input, from
>>a folder you create to store your images in. It will also tell you
>
>Again, seriously, I have I dunno-know many slides and negatives, not
>images. Most of these will never be digitized, just printed or
>projected.
>
>>what CD or DVD the image is stored on. It also has a user friendly
>>interface that displays your images-a lot like ACDsee.
>
>I'm afraid that you and the others who recommended Portfolio missed my
>point. I haven't been shooting digital like crazy.
>
>I need some sort of DATABASE program, into which I can enter data.
>Sure, if I can import some of that data from EXIF or other
>camera-info, that is nice. My N90s includes the data back, and I
>would like to download the data from this back into my future
>database.
>
>I don't mean to rave-and-rant, but some of us have been doing
>photography since before the advent and popularity of digital
>photography. (I won't even talk about pre-SLR rangefinders.) Some of
>us, benighted as we might be, still do film. I'm still 100%
>film-based. And even after I get a digital Nikon body, I will still
>continue to use film for "projects" and "experiments," like infrared.
>
>So let me restate. I'm looking for a database program, not an
>image-management program that also has some "data" features.
>
>Kodak
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:35:47 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> A spreadsheet is a tool for manipulating unique bits of information.
>
> A database is a tool for storing and retriving information.
>
> Each can do a little of what the other does; each is a master only at
> what it is designed to do.
>
> Setting up an Access database for a particular task is initially more
> work than setting up a spreadsheet;
> entering data in a database is much less effort than adding data to a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Your poison.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses Excel for all it's
databases. Access seemingly was too clumsy for them.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.
Now you can put your photos on it too!
http://www.canvasphotos.com.au
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:35:48 AM

Ryadia@Home wrote:

> The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses Excel for all it's
> databases.

Yikes! Which databases?
Are you just pulling our chain? Got references?

> Access seemingly was too clumsy for them.

I'm not saying access is great, but it is quite capable of basic dB's
such as recording image data. Users can easilly design simple dB's and
implement queries/reports with it, and maintain them with little effort.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:35:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:35:47 +1000, "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Alan Browne wrote:
>

>> A spreadsheet is a tool for manipulating unique bits of information.
>>
>> A database is a tool for storing and retriving information.
>>
>> Each can do a little of what the other does; each is a master only at
>> what it is designed to do.
>>
>> Setting up an Access database for a particular task is initially more
>> work than setting up a spreadsheet;
>> entering data in a database is much less effort than adding data to a
>> spreadsheet.
>>
>> Your poison.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan
>>

>The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses Excel for all it's
>databases. Access seemingly was too clumsy for them.

Access is extremely user-un-friendly. Excel is pretty user-friendly
for many simple tasks. I've done 'databases' in Excel. Ok for maybe
50-100 items, but not for thousands! and I don't think I can do
'clever' boolean searches in Excel, but in Access it's not too bad.
Might need to use a bit of SQL, but I'm hoping you can use a cookbook
for that.

Kodak
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:35:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
[SNIP]

> The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses
> Excel for all it's databases. Access seemingly was too
> clumsy for them.

All? No. Small 'DBs' used by individuals or small departments perhaps -
especially if they want to avoid the cost of training non-IT staff in DB
design and use of Access. But not the big DBs that are the heart of any
bank.

Just ask yourself how many customers they have, and how much data they might
want to store on each one - and then ask yourself how many rows and columns
are the maximum allowed in Excel. Banks use huge DBs, and lots of them, for
all sorts of data - many of them way to big for Access and laughably beyond
the scope of any Excel kludge.

Peter
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:35:49 AM

Father Kodak wrote:
> Access is extremely user-un-friendly. Excel is pretty user-friendly
> for many simple tasks. I've done 'databases' in Excel. Ok for maybe
> 50-100 items, but not for thousands! and I don't think I can do
> 'clever' boolean searches in Excel, but in Access it's not too bad.
> Might need to use a bit of SQL, but I'm hoping you can use a cookbook
> for that.

I've heard FileMaker is more user-friendly, but I've never used it.
Another alternative to MS Access (I've not tried) is OpenOffice.org
Base. Also, you might find something by browsing/searching at download.com.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:07:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

PhotoLibrary is a db program. You enter your data and it will cross
reference it all so that you can find all photos of x or all photos of
x at location y taken between 1958 and 1960.

The demo is free. Give it a try.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:39:45 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Ryadia@Home wrote:
>
>> The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses Excel for all
>> it's databases.
>

> Yikes! Which databases?
> Are you just pulling our chain? Got references?

Not pulling chains...
All their local databases are done in Excel.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.
Now you can put your photos on it too!
http://www.canvasphotos.com.au
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:39:46 PM

Ryadia@Home wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Ryadia@Home wrote:
>>
>>> The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses Excel for
>>> all it's databases.
>>

>> Yikes! Which databases? Are you just pulling our chain? Got
>> references?
>>
> Not pulling chains... All their local databases are done in Excel.

That is very different than your statement "uses Excel for all it's
databases."

Banks use dozens of very large databases (not Access) for all manner of
activity, much of it well out of sight and automated. Much of it is
integrated to transaction processing systems.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:52:00 PM

Father Kodak wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:35:47 +1000, "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Alan Browne wrote:
>>

>>>A spreadsheet is a tool for manipulating unique bits of information.
>>>
>>>A database is a tool for storing and retriving information.
>>>
>>>Each can do a little of what the other does; each is a master only at
>>>what it is designed to do.
>>>
>>>Setting up an Access database for a particular task is initially more
>>>work than setting up a spreadsheet;
>>>entering data in a database is much less effort than adding data to a
>>>spreadsheet.
>>>
>>>Your poison.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Alan
>>>

>>The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses Excel for all it's
>>databases. Access seemingly was too clumsy for them.
>

> Access is extremely user-un-friendly. Excel is pretty user-friendly
> for many simple tasks. I've done 'databases' in Excel. Ok for maybe
> 50-100 items, but not for thousands! and I don't think I can do
> 'clever' boolean searches in Excel, but in Access it's not too bad.
> Might need to use a bit of SQL, but I'm hoping you can use a cookbook
> for that.
>
> Kodak

In 1998 I owned an ISP in Australia and mined all the connection data
with an Excel workbook which calculated the accounts with various data
costs and compiled all the invoices based on time and data with 1700 users.

OK so it took 7 or 8 hours on a 500 MHz Pentium to do the monthly
accounts but it only had to do them once a month. It none the less did a
magnificent job of correlating the data into it's own, searchable
database the likes of which I simply couldn't make run in access.

Far too many people pass over Excel because they don't really understand
what it can do and how to make the front end something other than a grid
of boxes. I guess in actuality, Excel is as hard to make work properly
as Access is. This is why so many people have attempted to produce
alternatives to both of these and failed.

I saw a developer once, write a database with GW Basic with an interface
for a duty free store in just a few hours. In a few days it was
installed and running. If someone takes the time, anything is possible
which is why I recommended thumbs plus when I thought it was digital
images being stored. Excel will be better for the OP than access for his
newly stated use.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.
Now you can put your photos on it too!
http://www.canvasphotos.com.au
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:53:25 PM

Bandicoot wrote:
> "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [SNIP]
>
>>The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses
>>Excel for all it's databases. Access seemingly was too
>>clumsy for them.
>>

> All? No. Small 'DBs' used by individuals or small departments perhaps -
> especially if they want to avoid the cost of training non-IT staff in DB
> design and use of Access. But not the big DBs that are the heart of any
> bank.
>
> Just ask yourself how many customers they have, and how much data they might
> want to store on each one - and then ask yourself how many rows and columns
> are the maximum allowed in Excel. Banks use huge DBs, and lots of them, for
> all sorts of data - many of them way to big for Access and laughably beyond
> the scope of any Excel kludge.
>

> Peter

Ok I should have been more specific and said "all local branch
databases". Happy now?

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.
Now you can put your photos on it too!
http://www.canvasphotos.com.au
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:01:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:15:36 -0400, McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:18:59 -0700, Father Kodak
><dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:
>
>>>I'm sorry. I assumed since you were posting on a dslr group you were.
>>

>>Well, I posted to two rec.photo groups, one for 35 mm and one for
>>digital. Honestly though, Nikon vs. Canon or digital vs. 35 mm, if
>>you read these groups, you would think that people fighting about
>>life-and-death matters.
>>
>>Folks, ease up. for most of us, it's either a hobby or a profession.
>>Either way, please show some respect for the person who may have
>>different needs/interests than you. People should be free to choose
>>what best suits them, without having to endure hostility from those
>>who have chosen differently.
>>
>>Kodak (or is my 'nym' an issue also? Should we have a flame war about
>>Kodak vs Fuji vs. Agfa)
>
>It was an honest apology for my error. Maybe you should relax a
>little and either accept it or not.

McLeod. I "accept" and the point of my semi-flame was to suggest that
we ALL relax a bit. I can relax if I know that if I ask a reasonable
question but one that goes against the "orthodoxy" of that group, I
won't be flamed endlessly.

Kodak
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:03:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:01:12 +0100, "Bandicoot"
<"insert_handle_here"@techemail.com> wrote:

>"Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>[SNIP]
>> >
>> The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses
>> Excel for all it's databases. Access seemingly was too
>> clumsy for them.
>>

>All? No. Small 'DBs' used by individuals or small departments perhaps -
>especially if they want to avoid the cost of training non-IT staff in DB
>design and use of Access. But not the big DBs that are the heart of any
>bank.
>
>Just ask yourself how many customers they have, and how much data they might
>want to store on each one - and then ask yourself how many rows and columns
>are the maximum allowed in Excel. Banks use huge DBs, and lots of them, for
>all sorts of data - many of them way to big for Access and laughably beyond
>the scope of any Excel kludge.

Yeah. Even Microsoft has a "real database" for large applications.
And of course the " big guys" in corporate databases are Oracle and
IBM.

One place I worked (software development company) they found that
after a few hundred records, Access didn't work so good. They ended
up using either MySQL or the customer could use Oracle instead.

Kodak

>Peter

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 7 Jun 2005 09:07:33 -0700, "pz" <peter.ziminski@summitsite.com>
wrote:

>PhotoLibrary is a db program. You enter your data and it will cross
>reference it all so that you can find all photos of x or all photos of
>x at location y taken between 1958 and 1960.
>
>The demo is free. Give it a try.

This is great! Peter, you obviously understood what I was looking
for. Do you use the product? If so, can you comment on how many
images, etc.

This product has the potential to do everything I want. I went
through the entire web site and just sent off an email to the company
asking (1) about certain capabilities that I didn't see in the web
siltier and (2) whether or not they supply the MS Access source when
you buy the software.

I suspect not, but that's OK. I'll try to negotiate a one-time source
code buy without any commercial distribution rights. That is, a
personal use only license. Or maybe personal use with the proviso
that they get to use my modifications in their product. (That way, I
would get a lot of free quality assurance testing.)

Kodak
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:39:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

PhotoLibrary will allow you to import your data from EXCEL.
You MAY need to move some columns around, add a new column or two.
Then save the file as a tab delimited text file.
PhotoLibrary will then read it.
Download the free demo, then read the Help file for more info.

Pete
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:26:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:01:13 -0700, Father Kodak
<dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:

> I can relax if I know that if I ask a reasonable
>question but one that goes against the "orthodoxy" of that group, I
>won't be flamed endlessly.

Ok, so here's your rules. It's ok for you to rant, rave, and go off
on someone genuinely trying to help you, but it's not ok for someone
to then take you to task.
I don't think I like your rules.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:26:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:26:35 -0400, McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:01:13 -0700, Father Kodak
><dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:
>
>> I can relax if I know that if I ask a reasonable
>>question but one that goes against the "orthodoxy" of that group, I
>>won't be flamed endlessly.
>

>Ok, so here's your rules. It's ok for you to rant, rave, and go off
>on someone genuinely trying to help you, but it's not ok for someone
>to then take you to task.
>I don't think I like your rules.

If I had intended my "rules" to be as you describe, then I agree with
you. Truly. I don't much like those rules either.

My intention, perhaps not written clearly enough, was quite the
opposite. I was upset with a poster who made an ad hominem attack on
me. That is what upset me. If someone wants to criticise my
"unorthodox" idea because it is a sub-optimal way to do something, or
for an honest difference in views, that is great. But, if someone
wants to say, "You dope, why are you still using film?" that is not so
ok.

Listen, I want to be accepted in these groups so that if I post a
question, it gets an answer. A useful one. I've also replied to
other postings where I felt I could contribute something to the
discussion.

I presently use film but expect to get a digital body within a year or
18 months. I recently read a juicy rumor in a Nikon mailing list
about an almost full-frame body due out at the end of 2006, and that
may be when I go digital. These groups are a great way to discuss
such issues.

I've been around usenet since a long long-gone company called Fortune
Systems, and I have watched it change from a small "club" to a large
and sprawling worldwide institution. Mostly it's for the better, but
not 100%. That is why I speak up sometimes on "netiquette" issues.

Pere Kodak
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:36:33 PM

McLeod wrote:

> Ok, so here's your rules. It's ok for you to rant, rave, and go off
> on someone genuinely trying to help you, but it's not ok for someone
> to then take you to task.
> I don't think I like your rules.

Gee McLeod, who the hell said life was fair?

;-)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:45:25 PM

Father Kodak wrote:

> question but one that goes against the "orthodoxy" of that group, I
> won't be flamed endlessly.

Using a handle like "Father Kodak" doesn't help...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:45:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:45:25 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Father Kodak wrote:
>
>> question but one that goes against the "orthodoxy" of that group, I
>> won't be flamed endlessly.
>
>Using a handle like "Father Kodak" doesn't help...

Aunt Fuji? Great-great-grandfather Haloid? (as in Haloid, which
became Xerox). Back in the day, Kodak was sometimes referred to in
magazines as "The Great Yellow Father." Those days are surely over.
Not sure if those mags are even published anymore.

Pere Kodak
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:46:52 AM

> Bandicoot wrote:
> > "Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > [SNIP]
> >
> >>The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (the big one) uses
> >>Excel for all it's databases. Access seemingly was too
> >>clumsy for them.
> >>

> > All? No.

[SNIP]

> Ok I should have been more specific and said "all local branch
> databases". Happy now?

You _were_ specific: you said "All"...

;-)

Peter (who's usually happy anyway.)
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:50:03 AM

> On 7 Jun 2005 09:07:33 -0700, "pz" <peter.ziminski@summitsite.com>
> wrote:
>
> >PhotoLibrary is a db program. You enter your data and it will cross
> >reference it all so that you can find all photos of x or all photos of
> >x at location y taken between 1958 and 1960.
> >
> >The demo is free. Give it a try.
>
> This is great! Peter, you obviously understood what I was looking
> for. Do you use the product? If so, can you comment on how many
> images, etc.
>
> This product has the potential to do everything I want. I went
> through the entire web site and just sent off an email to the company
> asking (1) about certain capabilities that I didn't see in the web
> siltier and (2) whether or not they supply the MS Access source when
> you buy the software.
>
> I suspect not, but that's OK. I'll try to negotiate a one-time source
> code buy without any commercial distribution rights. That is, a
> personal use only license. Or maybe personal use with the proviso
> that they get to use my modifications in their product. (That way, I
> would get a lot of free quality assurance testing.)

Do post to let us know their response - I know I'd be very interested.

Peter
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:19:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D tgpe.84618>>> Yikes! Which databases? Are you just pulling our chain?
Got
>>> references?
>>>
>> Not pulling chains... All their local databases are done in Excel.
>
> That is very different than your statement "uses Excel for all it's
> databases."
>
> Banks use dozens of very large databases (not Access) for all manner of
> activity, much of it well out of sight and automated. Much of it is
> integrated to transaction processing systems.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Obviously I had to leave the statement open so you could feel right in
pointing out the central processing databases are not in Excel.

I feel so much better now. Thank you Alan.

Douglas
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:22:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 01:50:03 +0100, "Bandicoot"
<"insert_handle_here"@techemail.com> wrote:

>Do post to let us know their response - I know I'd be very interested.

Well, so far we have exchanged some emails but I think the next major
step will be to do a download and experiment within the 30 day window.
I have to say this. This one-man operation has produced a product
more useful (for me at least) than all the other software companies
I've looked at. Pete even said to me in one email that he wrote this
program to catalog 25 years of slides. Heck, it's possible he started
out with a first-generation SLR, like me. And if he is as cheap as
me, he probably still uses a lot of the old stuff. -:)

Anyway, I really have to thank the poster who identified this company
to me.

What is interesting is how long it took me to find this company, a
real gem in the rough. My guess is that he simply doesn't have the
resources to go marketing toe-to-toe with people like Extensis with
Portfolio. A shame. This seems (at least on paper) to be a superior
product.

Abba Kodak

>Peter

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:48:12 AM

"Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"@techemail.com> wrote in message

>> Ok I should have been more specific and said "all local branch
>> databases". Happy now?
>>

> You _were_ specific: you said "All"...
>
> ;-)
>

> Peter (who's usually happy anyway.)

Hmmm.
Note this nerd and pounce the minute he makes a mistake... Which all self
centred nerds always do eventually. Give no quarter, take none. That's how
it's done around here, eh?
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:48:13 AM

"Ryadias_Kiosk" <ryadia@hotmail> wrote in message

> "Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"@techemail.com> wrote in message
>

> >> Ok I should have been more specific and said "all local
> >> branch databases". Happy now?
> >>

> > You _were_ specific: you said "All"...
> >
> > ;-)
> >

> > Peter (who's usually happy anyway.)
> >
> Hmmm.
> Note this nerd and pounce the minute he makes a mistake...
> Which all self centred nerds always do eventually. Give no
> quarter, take none. That's how it's done around here, eh?

Sheesh, note the smiley and get a life, oh, and while you're at the shops,
get yourself a sense of humour too.

Peter
!