Computer Problem

lerett

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
My home-built computer was running just fine until yesterday it just turned off and doesn't turn back on. The room temperature was about 20 degrees C, and inside the case it was much hotter when I took a look. I suspect that either the CPU or MB is broken. The MB shows it has power (on board LED) but nothing happens when I try to turn it on with the power button or try to "hot-wire" it. I don't have much experience with this, any "suggestions"?

Solution
if you have a volt meter take the power supply out.jumper a paper clip from the green wire to a black wire. this will force the power supply to come on if it working. then read the voltages on the color wires to any black wire. you should get 12v 5.5 3v on the lines or close to them.

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
If u r system (processor,gpu,smps)fan has any damage the system overheat quickly so protect from more damage the system shutdown OR dont power on .without any error message like bluescreen message.
so check all fans are working correctly and clean the dust from cpu.remove cmos battery then power on.

lerett

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I didn't list all the specs in my profile because I'm probably going to get substitutes but here are the remaining ones
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro
Case: COODMax K810LC
PSU: CoodMax (not sure exactly, it came with the case)
Case fan: Another case built in coodmax

lerett

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

My computer doesn't power on at all...

contact the case vendor for a new power supply. most time cheap power supplys will die like that. if you have a local computer store you can see if they can load test the power supply. or you can pick up a new power supply and keep the rma one as a spare. power supply hae a few legs in in a 12v a 3.3 and a 5v leg. most time the 12v leg dies on a cheap power supply. that one powers the cpu/fans and video cards.

lerett

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I'm thinking of getting this PSU:
http://www.corsair.com/en/enthusiast-series-tx850-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-850-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html
But the Motherboard shows that it's getting at least some power.

if you have a volt meter take the power supply out.jumper a paper clip from the green wire to a black wire. this will force the power supply to come on if it working. then read the voltages on the color wires to any black wire. you should get 12v 5.5 3v on the lines or close to them.

Solution

lerett

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I stuck a paper clip from the green wire to a black one, nothing happened. The fan didn't spin and there was no voltage at all. So it's broken then I guess, the only thing I'm still confused about is why the motherboard showed it was getting power.

lerett

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

OK cheers, I'll just take the PSU to the supplier I got it from and see what he can do, I'll hopefully get a better PSU, I'm thinking something like the Corsair HX750, any recommendations concerning PSU's?

TRENDING THREADS