Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Alternative to nvidia 8400gs

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 8, 2012 9:34:56 AM


Hello everyone,

I have an old Scaleo Pi 2533-7002 from 2007. Graphics card is kaputt and I'm looking for something similar, ideally slightly more powerful since i have a 22" monitor on 1920x1080. I don't actually play games, I only do some light photo and video editing on this machine. I dont know anything about hardware compatibility, so I definitely need some advice for this purchase. I was thinking to buy something in the 40 50 euros range.

Here are my system specs:

Mainboard Chipset:
Intel® G31 Express Chipset

CPU
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4500
(2.20 GHz, 800 MHz, 2 MB L2 cache)

VGA
NVIDIA® 8400GS with 256 MB dedicated Video RAM;
Video interfaces: 1x VGA, 1x DVI-I (plus HDMI adapter),
1x TV out
(Benchmark: 3D Mark 2006 up to 3000 points)

2 DDR2 SD-RAM slots
dual or single channel through Intel® flex memory technology
up to 4 GB with 512, 1024 or 2048 MB modules

Thanks for any help!

More about : alternative nvidia 8400gs

November 8, 2012 10:00:35 AM

You can go for HD6670 you can get it for I think 51 euros and it performs way better than 8400gs.
November 8, 2012 3:20:50 PM

That card would be fine for me. I do have a couple of questions though.

I'm worried about space in my case. The pci-e slot is a single one at the highest position possible, close to other stuff. I'm afraid this card would be too thick and other parts of the motherboard would get in the way.

Here's a picture of the situation. What do you think?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10236871@N04/8167187285/in...

Also, my pcu is supposed to max out at 350w and hd6670 needs 400w according to the specs... would that be a problem?

Here's my pcu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10236871@N04/8167185187/in...


Thanks for the help!
Related resources
a c 113 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 3:25:58 PM

Criwave said:
That card would be fine for me. I do have a couple of questions though.

I'm worried about space in my case. The pci-e slot is a single one at the highest position possible, close to other stuff. I'm afraid this card would be too thick and other parts of the motherboard would get in the way.

Here's a picture of the situation. What do you think?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10236871@N04/8167187285/in...

Also, my pcu is supposed to max out at 350w and hd6670 needs 400w according to the specs... would that be a problem?

Here's my pcu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10236871@N04/8167185187/in...


Thanks for the help!


Yes, that PSU might have a problem with a 6670. A 7750 would be better if you're willing to pay the extra cost (it's be much faster and use less power than even the 6570).

I wouldn't be worried about placement trouble. The cards should fit fine. It might be a tight fit, but it should fit.
November 8, 2012 3:57:58 PM

if I were to go with 6570, that would still be a better solution than the 6670 energy wise, right? I'm asking because there's a 50 euro difference between 7750 and 6570 and I'm not interested in gaming at all on this machine.
a c 113 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 4:01:12 PM

If you're no gamer, then just get a 6450 or 5450. There's no reason to get an entry level gaming card if you're not going to use it.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed where you said that in your first post.
November 8, 2012 5:00:04 PM

blazorthon said:
If you're no gamer, then just get a 6450 or 5450. There's no reason to get an entry level gaming card if you're not going to use it.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed where you said that in your first post.



Great, then 6450 it is, even cheaper :)  as long as i can get a good hd video reproduction I'm fine.
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 5:14:33 PM

Criwave said:

I'm worried about space in my case. The pci-e slot is a single one at the highest position possible, close to other stuff. I'm afraid this card would be too thick and other parts of the motherboard would get in the way.

Here's a picture of the situation. What do you think?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10236871@N04/8167187285/in...

there's nothing on that pic that would prevent you from getting a dual slot card
the cooler side of the card would face downwards and those metallic slot covers on the case are easily removable. It would make it impossible to install anything on the small pci-e x1 slot though, but atm theres nothing in it...

edit and get rid off that dust, your case is filthy :p P
November 8, 2012 5:33:53 PM

Kari said:
there's nothing on that pic that would prevent you from getting a dual slot card
the cooler side of the card would face downwards and those metallic slot covers on the case are easily removable. It would make it impossible to install anything on the small pci-e x1 slot though, but atm theres nothing in it...

edit and get rid off that dust, your case is filthy :p P


LOL, shame on me... Time to clean up :D