Sign in with
Your question

HD 6950 compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2012 10:29:08 AM

Hi! I just joined the forum, so i don't know if I'm doing this question in the right place, but I recently bought a HD 6959 2gb and a Sentey 650W power supply. The problem is that i just update that, i didn't touch anything else:
Mother: GYGABYTE GA-P31-ES3G.
Core: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2gHz E4200(i think, pretty old)
RAM: 3gb DDR2.
Now my question is, what's the best built for handle that card? Wich motherboard and core? And do I really need to upgrade my RAM to DDR3, or I can just add more (8gb at least) of DDR2?

Thanks, and sorry for my english...

More about : 6950 compatibility

November 8, 2012 10:44:17 AM

Hello Alote000, just to clarify, are you asking if the 650W and the 6950 mean you have to upgrade the rest? No you don't, you can use the new parts with the old ones. Your old motherboard has 1 PCI-E 16X slot, and the new power supply has a 20+4pin motherboard connect, so I don't see any problems with combining the two.

If your question is, what you should upgrade next, my advice is to see if the performance is sufficient.

Please let me know if neither of these were you question, and, since you say (indirectly) that English isn't your first language, let me know if I can explain what I wrote above more clearly. :) 

/Edit: I re-read what you wrote, and I will assume you mean to upgrade the rest. What is your budget? Which country would you be ordering from? You can get a Phenom 2 / Athlon 2 build that will support DDR2, but with the low cost of DDR3, it makes more sense to get a new FX or Ivy Bridge build.

That being said, the new FX and Sandy/Ivy Bridge do not support DDR2.

So that being said, unless you provide how much you are willing to spend, recommending a build isn't easy at all, especially without knowing which country you would order from.
/End Edit
m
l
November 8, 2012 12:48:19 PM

Robert Pankiw said:
Hello Alote000, just to clarify, are you asking if the 650W and the 6950 mean you have to upgrade the rest? No you don't, you can use the new parts with the old ones. Your old motherboard has 1 PCI-E 16X slot, and the new power supply has a 20+4pin motherboard connect, so I don't see any problems with combining the two.

If your question is, what you should upgrade next, my advice is to see if the performance is sufficient.

Please let me know if neither of these were you question, and, since you say (indirectly) that English isn't your first language, let me know if I can explain what I wrote above more clearly. :) 

/Edit: I re-read what you wrote, and I will assume you mean to upgrade the rest. What is your budget? Which country would you be ordering from? You can get a Phenom 2 / Athlon 2 build that will support DDR2, but with the low cost of DDR3, it makes more sense to get a new FX or Ivy Bridge build.

That being said, the new FX and Sandy/Ivy Bridge do not support DDR2.

So that being said, unless you provide how much you are willing to spend, recommending a build isn't easy at all, especially without knowing which country you would order from.
/End Edit

Thanks! I understandwhat you wrote. I try the 6950 with those components, but I get a usual problem: low fps. I searched a lot, first it looks like all was a software problem, so I just format and install the last driver. But still I just get low fps. Then I read that sometimes the performance go down when some components are old, and other really new.
About my budget -.- I want to order from exterior with free shipping, but I donno. There were some retentios of electronics products here, but some store sells an AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 3.6gHz at u$305, or a Intel Core I5 2500k at u$320.
And there's a mother Asus Crosshair V at u$364 for the AMD, or a Maximus(?) IV GENE-Z GEN3 at u$300. I don't think if I can go higher than that.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2012 1:06:54 PM

Hello again!

So I am guessing you are buying at a walk in store, not an online store?

The prices you mentioned are really high, what country are you in? I hope you don't mind me asking.

At home I use a Phenom 2 1090T with a 6950 and I never notice low frames, and both are on Factory clock speed.

For those prices, the Intel build is better (and cheaper). AMD, right now, is only better in graphics, and when they beat Intel on price. So since the Intel build is cheaper, I won't recommend AMD (Which sucks because I am an AMD fan boy)

Just to mention, the FX-4170 is sometimes better than the FX-8150. The reason is because many current games won't be able to the 8 integer cores of the 8150, and the 4170 has a high base clock, but I with the motherboard alone being $64 more to go with AMD, Intel is your best bet. (Don't forget you need RAM, etc)
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:29:27 PM

I want to do online shop, because the prices here suck, and the stock, and the variety... The problem is that is gonna be the first time, but I have some friends that already bought some stuff outside, with free shipping. I don't care if my order is with free shipping, just care if I get what I ask.
Should I stick with the I5 2500k and that Maximus mother? Or search for something better? (for online shopping)
m
l
November 8, 2012 8:30:25 PM

In the USA (I am in Canada, by the way) the 2500k is $220 on newegg.com. The 3570k is the same price, but since your motherboard is a Z68 chip, and I am not an Intel expert (Maybe someone else on Toms can answer) stay with the 2500k. The reason I am thinking is because you might need a bios update in order to use Ivy, but 2500k is Sandy, so no update would be needed.

The Maximus you choose is also a lot less in the USA than where you are. It is a micro ATX board though, and I'm not sure if you wanted that on purpose or not.

You can of course get less expensive Asus Z77 motherboard that will work just fine for you, but I am sure you can quickly tell that it has fewer features. The Maximus is the better choice, even though it is Z68. If you know you won't use the Maximus features, then saving between $40 - $100 isn't a difficult decision.

When it comes to RAM, there are MANY options, and although I am not an expert, I am picking G.Skill Sniper 8GB RAM ram because of this Anandtech review. Normally I would suggest Samsung 8GB RAM

The only questions now are if you want to re-use your old hard drive, case, and monitor.

I hope, again, I was clear. It sometimes takes me a while to write these longer responses, and I change what I write when I can make it better, but that might cause it to lose coherency. Anyways, best of luck, the Toms Hardware community is here for you. :) 

Edit: I didn't properly create the links. /End Edit
m
l
!