Sign in with
Your question

Mini itx home nas/server

Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2012 4:01:44 AM

want to build my own little box to use as a backup storage device and also as a server possibly since i have server 2012. i want it to be nice and small so it wont take up too much space, right now its priced out to around 800 which is too much for me, trying to keep it around 500 or 600. want to get a raid 5 setup as well

this is what i came up with so far, i think it might be overkill.

3x Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB - 129 each

or

3x Western Digital Red WD10EFRX 1TB - 94 each

not sure if its worth to jump to the 6tb for the extra bucks

PNY Optima 8GB - 35 might run some vms on the server so the extra ram will come in handy

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W - 89 modular to cut down on extra cables want somethign quiet too

BitFenix Prodigy Midnight - 79 like the small size and number of drive bays

ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 - 85 cant find anything better, need at least 4 sata ports

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 - 119 not sure what else i can use, need hyper threading to run vms on hyper v

not stuck on intel, i can go with amd if theres a processor that has hyperthreading.

theres nothing that imr eally stuck on besides the case unless theres something better.

just want something that can do what i neeed i to

thanks in advance
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2012 9:06:39 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...
Newegg has an AMD server barebones starting at 10 am that you might check out. You don't need such an expensive power supply; I get ocz, corsair, or antec (whichever has the best deal at the time). You only need 400-500 watts. I use the 2120 and the B3 version of your board, so they work well together.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2012 10:41:57 AM

1. you don't need hyper threading to run hyper v. Nearly all current cpu's support virtualisation. An AMD A6-3650 on an ASRock A75M-ITX should do it.
2. go for the 2TB drives, because otherwise in raid5 you will only have 2TB left. And keep in mind, that you need a spare drive in case one fails! raid5 doesn't replace backup. Two 3TB drives with a frequent sheduled backup might be the better solution.
December 26, 2012 10:46:41 AM

I would honestly go for Western digital RE4's for the reliability of running 24/7 and for raid rebuilding since they have a processor in the actual hard drive for rebuilding and error correction. Plus they have a 5 year warranty instead of 3 year which the Red has for only $6 more money than the cost of the reds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!