Crashes due to drivers. HELP PLEASE!

I've had problems with XP crashes for about a year now.
They usually happen when I run some program that uses
graphics aboundantly, typically a game. It seems to me
that the computer overheats. Sometimes I get a blue
screen, sometimes not. I've submited an error report to
Microsoft OCA and got an unspecified "Error Caused by a
Device Driver". The report is visible at
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/Response.asp?SID=77.

I've tried everything I could think of, including
changing all possible drivers. I'm pretty certain the
problem first occured after I installed an nVidia driver
recommended by Windows Update. I realize, that one
solution to the problem would be to format my hard drives
and reinstall everything, but that would include backing
up about 40 GB of data and I simply don't have the time
to do it.

It would be great if someome at OCA reads my post and
offers me assistance. Or some ordinary forum-reader that
has encountered a similar problem.

OS: XP Pro, Service Pack 2
CPU: Pentium 4 1.80 Ghz
RAM: 512 MB
nVidia GeForce2 Ti

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you really got drivers from Microsoft for the nVidia card then you did it
wrong. NEVER get drivers from anyone except the manufacturer. Have you gone
to the nVidia site to get the latest?

Use the nVidia drivers from the nVidia website... www.nvidia.com and also
ensure you have the latest version of DirectX from www.microsoft.com/directx
www.coribright.com

"Logotet" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've had problems with XP crashes for about a year now.
> They usually happen when I run some program that uses
> graphics aboundantly, typically a game. It seems to me
> that the computer overheats. Sometimes I get a blue
> screen, sometimes not. I've submited an error report to
> Microsoft OCA and got an unspecified "Error Caused by a
> Device Driver". The report is visible at
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/Response.asp?SID=77.
>
> I've tried everything I could think of, including
> changing all possible drivers. I'm pretty certain the
> problem first occured after I installed an nVidia driver
> recommended by Windows Update. I realize, that one
> solution to the problem would be to format my hard drives
> and reinstall everything, but that would include backing
> up about 40 GB of data and I simply don't have the time
> to do it.
>
> It would be great if someome at OCA reads my post and
> offers me assistance. Or some ordinary forum-reader that
> has encountered a similar problem.
>
> OS: XP Pro, Service Pack 2
> CPU: Pentium 4 1.80 Ghz
> RAM: 512 MB
> nVidia GeForce2 Ti

Yes, I've tried all possible drivers from nVidia, and did
uninstall the existing drivers by the book. Same with
DirectX. Also there's no virus or trojan on my system, I
use McAfee, Ad-aware & HijackThis regularly.

The whole thing is driving me crazy - I have a job & a
family - i.e. really no time to back up my entire
harddrive. I back up the most important stuff regularly,
but there is so much more that I'd hate to lose.

Thanks for your replies, guys, but I really need
something constructive. :-(