Sign in with
Your question

Newly-built computer keeps randomly rebooting

Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2012 6:13:49 AM

Since Google isn't being of much help with interpreting the error codes from this issue, I'm here to ask for help.

I built my first computer three days ago. The first day I had the computer up and running everything worked perfectly, and I was thrilled that everything had gone well with my first build. The next day, though, I started having problems, and I haven't been able to find the exact issue. I'm hoping I can find the solution so I don't have to completely reinstall Windows, because after spending over an hour configuring the OS (Windows Server 2008) and downloading about 50 GB of games, that is an absolute last resort.

The day after I built the computer, it rebooted for seemingly no reason twice. I checked the event viewer, but there were absolutely no logs of anything occurring at the time of the shutdown. The reliability and performance monitor lists the "OS stopped working" failure detail as 0x00000116 (0xfffffa80097f9010, 0xfffffa600260e768, 0x000000000. Googling 0x00000116 indicates a video card issue (all other codes give no results), so I updated to the latest drivers for my GPU (XFX Radeon HD 7850). Everything seemed fine for a while.

The next day the computer rebooted two or three times again. I checked the temperature of the CPU, GPU, and disks at the time of the shutdown, and they were all fine (between 25-50 degrees). Again, no suspicious logs in the event viewer. Thinking maybe something went wrong with the driver update, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver again. This day I also noticed the screens would black when opening certain programs and whenever I was prompted to enter my admin password. A little bit of googling led me to turn off the secure desktop, which solved that problem. The reliability and performance monitor lists this day's OS failure detail as 0x00000116 (0xfffffa80096d34e0, 0xfffffa6002209768, 0x000000000, which also leads nowhere on in google.

About an hour ago, the third day after I built my computer, it randomly rebooted again. At this point I really don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. I don't know if I got a bad card or possibly a bad PSU (a 600W Rosewill). Since I'm using Windows Server 2008, which, although practically identical to Vista, takes quite some time to set up as a desktop OS, I dread the thought of reinstalling the OS, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to do just that. Before I try that, though, I'd like to see if anyone has suggestions on how to diagnose and fix the problem. Since googling the failure detail codes leads nowhere, I'm completely lost.

Just to clarify, the reboots don't only happen when the GPU is under stress from gaming. Although the last reboot did occur in the middle of a game (League of Legends, not too graphics-intensive), it has also happened while the computer was idle.

Thanks for any help in advance, I really hope I can get this problem fixed.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2012 7:51:32 AM

HI, It does look like a power supply issue. If you have a spare one, connect it and test. I would RMA it.
m
l
!