Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dilemma regarding sli/mobo/case

Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2012 10:05:30 AM

Hey guys I have a few things bugging me regarding this new 680 sli setup I have planned.

First issue : Do you think there is enough space on this mobo for another 2 slot 680 4gb? I imagine the cards would be very close together and also the psu. Picture is provided here. http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/landy1337/IMG_...

Second issue : I also realize my current mobo has a two pcie 2 slots with one running at 16x and one running at 4x. Is it even worth running a 680 sli on a setup like this? I read an article a year ago regarding 6970 crossfire on this setup and the frame loss was minimal but I am not sure about nvidia or powerful cards like the 680 4gbs. I was thinking a mobo like this might be sufficient http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... But not sure if it even has larger spacing between the cards.

Third issue : Do you think it is worth investing in a new case so my cards will have more breathing room and better cooling throughout my case in general? If so does anyone know of any fairly cheap cases with more room around the 100-170 price mark? currently I have a coolermaster HAF 912.

Sorry for the wall of text but maybe you guys can help put my mind at ease regarding these issues as I am abit confused at the moment regarding these three things.

More about : dilemma sli mobo case

December 26, 2012 11:16:17 AM

Can anyone shed some light?
Score

Best solution

a c 106 B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2012 11:28:31 AM

There is, though I suspect the top card will be a bit choked for air.

Running a Crossfire/SLI setup with a PCI-2 4x slot will cause bottlenecking.
The Extreme4 doesn't face that issue, but it has the same spacing as your current board. Most boards are designed with dual slot cards in mind, not the triple slot card you have.

That comes down more to slot spacing than the actual case. But if you want a new case then why not. If your concerned with case airflow than adding some fans will help.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 26, 2012 11:50:13 AM

manofchalk said:
There is, though I suspect the top card will be a bit choked for air.

Running a Crossfire/SLI setup with a PCI-2 4x slot will cause bottlenecking.
The Extreme4 doesn't face that issue, but it has the same spacing as your current board. Most boards are designed with dual slot cards in mind, not the triple slot card you have.

That comes down more to slot spacing than the actual case. But if you want a new case then why not. If your concerned with case airflow than adding some fans will help.

Thanks for the replies. My mobo has no spare plugs for fans left but maybe the asrock will come with a few extras so I can increase the airflow. Also maybe if I put my second card in the top slot (2 slot) and my gainward (2.5 slot) in the lower slot it will allow for more spacing between the cards.
Score
December 26, 2012 12:01:06 PM

Do you have a retail copy of Windows or an OEM copy? Just if its OEM (also known as builders) you will have to get a new one with the new motherboard.

What are these cards going to be powering? I imagine with a 4GB card it would be a surround setup or mega resolution screen. Just that if your running a single 60hz 1080p screen, I would advise not to Crossfire/SLI at all (and question why you have a 4GB model).
Score
December 26, 2012 12:14:02 PM

manofchalk said:
Do you have a retail copy of Windows or an OEM copy? Just if its OEM (also known as builders) you will have to get a new one with the new motherboard.

What are these cards going to be powering? I imagine with a 4GB card it would be a surround setup or mega resolution screen. Just that if your running a single 60hz 1080p screen, I would advise not to Crossfire/SLI at all (and question why you have a 4GB model).

Retail copy. I run a resolution of 2560 x 1440 and my single 680 4gb struggles with any sort of MSAA at that resolution in games like far cry 3 etc. I have some spare cash at the moment so I thought I might aswel pick up a second 680. You have helped in regard to most my questions but finding a new case is proving to be a difficult task.
Score
December 26, 2012 12:27:06 PM

Coolermaster HAF series and any Corsair case are all good cases to get. Since your after an SLI build I would advise a full-tower case, though most mid towers are only just smaller than full towers.

EDIT: Both links are the same.
Score
December 26, 2012 12:35:12 PM

Best answer selected by apamilo.
Score
!