Upgrading my gaming system, need suggestions

brain_in_a_vat

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hello. Here are my specs, I built this system in January of this year:

CPU - i3-2100
GPU - Sapphire 7870 (upgraded from a HD 6850 last month)
PSU - Antec 650w TruePower
RAM - 2x2 4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Hard drive - 500GB Seagate Barracuda
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Intel Z68
Case - Bitfenix Shinobi
Monitor - 23.5 inch Packard Bell - usually play on 1980x1080.
CPU cooler - Gelid Tranquillo Heatsink

People have suggested getting an SSD although I face performance issues regularly so I was thinking maybe a new CPU would do some good. Any suggestions are welcome, but bear in mind this system is primarily used for gaming. My budget is £100 - £200 and I'm looking to purchase the upgrade in the next couple of weeks. I'm open to overclocking, have no brand preference and I'm from the UK. Thanks.

brain_in_a_vat

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Performance lags while playing Arma 2 which I've heard is rather CPU reliant. Also face massive fps issues in large Shogun 2/Napoleon TW battles I can only suspect is due to my CPU.

Seems like it although I am not sure... Could be that 4GB RAM is alo just just short of enough...

It is a Z68 board??? Where do you get its not OC friendly?

zdbc13

Distinguished

You're right, it's a good overclocker. I was just thinking the z77 was the best overclocker for that chip and everything else didn't do so good. But Z68 looks good after I checked it out. Didn't mean to mislead, just an honest mistake....

Good you admit it. Z68 is actually better at OCing than Z77... Just as Sandy is better at OCing than Ivy.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
You're right, you're facing CPU issues. Unfortunately though, you're not likely to see huge improvements in Shogun 2, because (from what I read) it doesn't utilize more than one or two cores. That said, you will see an improvement since the clock speed will be higher.

brain_in_a_vat

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hmm yes I've been afraid that my rig's performance in Shogun 2 is an anomaly that would be more difficult to fix than simply replacing a piece of hardware. I've tried to find out what on Earth the problem is but I can never get to the bottom of it.

Easy, run resource monitor in the background and see if your CPU maxes out, if not then check RAM, its either one of the 2...

brain_in_a_vat

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Neither max out (although CPU is rather high), that's why I consider my Shogun 2 performance an anomaly. I get 30+ fps on massive ultra graphic battles but the units on screen stutter and move at snail-pace. GPU usage is fine during gameplay too.