The new Imac vs building your own PC

darkstar845

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I've looked at the new Imac and I was surprised with it's specs. The 27 inch model sells for $2000 and by default has a 3.2 Ghz core i5 3rd gen, 8 gig ram, GTX 675mx (which is more or less equivalent to a desktop GTX 660) and then it also comes with a 27 inch LCD with 2560x1440 and keyboard and a mouse and an OS.

If I am going to build a desktop with a similar specs, it will cost around 1100 dollars. But if you add the cost of the 27 inch 2560x1440 LCD, keyboard, mouse the price would reach close to 2000 dollars. And then you have the convenience of saving space because it is All-in-one and thin and it uses less power. The cons with this will be that you can't overclock, heat issues, and no upgrades.

Although I hate Apple and I am more of a PC builder, I can't deny the fact that they made a good product and with just the right price. I think Apple computers are not overpriced as they used to be.

I don't see much of a problem in the choice here. You can spend about 1000 dollars less and get a custom built computer that can be upgraded and changed or you can get spend more for a CrApple OEM computer with OEM parts and can't really be upgraded. I would build my own and not think twice about it.

Dsudi19

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I think it is really just up to your own personal preference. PC users cannot deny that apple makes quality computers. If you like the OS better, get the mac, if not get the PC. Also, you could probably put a GTX 660 ti and a i5 3570k in the build for around $1100 which would beat the Mac on pure performance. Also if you are gaming, PCs are always the better choice. The iMac is a truly beautiful machine (I am a PC user) and I think that OSX is simple and intuitive. Thats just what I think.

Just choose whatever suits your situation best

--Dsudi19

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
The real disaventage for me about a mac would be that it's os is mac while most of the games run on Windows .... The real difference is there MAC or Windows ?

Except at that resolution the GTX675mx or GTX660 will be struggling and for gaming really a stronger GPU would be recommended.

Yeah really ? Gaming on a mac ? ahah let me laugh a bit

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Only families who don't know how to use computers or people who think they're rich & cool buy iMacs for serious computing and gaming. iMac = not worth cash unless you want a nice center piece all in one in your house. Build your own PC, conceal it, get a sexy freaking 27" 2560x1600 monitor, hook it up with DVI/HDMI.

It is possible running windows on it!

No they really don't. Up until now they were using hardware that was three generations old and charging 2000+ for it. Even with the new hardware it's still way overpriced. Anyone could build a better computer and still spend 700 to 800 dollars less than that computer. It's still OEM and is still limited like most OEM's. The OS still isn't good for gaming the list can go on and on. I would never buy an CrApple computer since in most cases I can build a better computer for cheaper wheather it's for everyday use, gaming or heavy CPU work like video rendering.

Totally agree! As I stated before the included GPU is to weak for the monitor resolution having gaming in mind.