Graphical Glitches and BSOD

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Blue Screen
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 8, 2012 5:12:40 PM

Hello,

As the title says I am getting various graphical glitches that ultimately result in a driver crash which leads to needing a hard restart to regain functionality or a soft restart to have the display go back to normal if not a BSOD blaming atikmpag.sys. Glitches are most often present as white (sometimes black) horizontal lines across window desktop or images and videos or when windows asks for permission for something to do something and the screen changes colour. These lines will move and change if for example I highlight over the top of them but otherwise will remain as they are. Also get missing textures ingame (invisible tank in L4D lol). The glitchs build up over time and the crashes are inevitable. I can get 5-15 minutes of game play before something goes wrong I was getting a bit longer 2-3weeks ago. These issues have now occured with 2 different graphics cards (a 5670 512MB and a new 7850 2GB) so I'm pretty sure it isn't anything physically wrong with the cards and the 5670 ran flawlessly prior to the issues starting up. I have yet to see one of these crashes happen while using furmark or heaven. As for testing I've tested my cpu with prime95, RAM with memtest and prime95, PSU by running prime95 and furmark simultaneously, hard drives test clear with the western digital tool I downloaded. Temperatures are always good around the board. So I'm wondering if this could be a motherboard issue? Perhaps I've accidentally and unwittingly damaged it while installing the 7850 as it was after that that the problems began although I initially thought I'd just cocked up the drivers and have since done 2 formats and clean installs of windows. Blue screen reader shows most crashes to be related to atikmpag and dxgkrnl. To be honest I'm completely lost now and if anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it. My only thoughts are are either it's a memory thing that didn't get picked up in testin or my motherboard is damaged/incompatible with the card as it seems it's a bit of a weird one with old chipsets etc. but I'm still very much learning. Also crashes haven't occured when using windows standard vga driver. Been through AMD support and they can't help it seems.

CPU Athlon II X255 @ 3.1GHz
Mobo ASRock M3A UCC Up to date BIOS
RAM 2x2GB Corsair xms3 1333MHz
Graphics Sapphire 512MB 5670 or HIS 2GB 7850
Sound Asus Xonar DG (I only have this because the 7850 audio conflicted with motherboard audio even when disabled in BIOS)
PSU Corsair CX500
Windows 7 64bit Home SP1

Built the system almost 2 years ago iirc and had no issues until I installed that 7850. Any input is welcome or if I should provide more info, pics etc. just say and I'll do what I can. Many thanks.

More about : graphical glitches bsod

a c 513 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 5:48:51 PM

Anything overclocked? Did you test the cards in another system? Could be a power supply issue also.
November 8, 2012 6:25:18 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Anything overclocked? Did you test the cards in another system? Could be a power supply issue also.

Only ever overclocked the graphics cards. The 5670 a trivial amount that it went happily at and only to see what my 7850 was capable of but nothing outrageous or long term, it was more than enough for me at stock.Temps never went above 50 on the 5670 and never above 70 on the 7850, in fact the 7850 might have even been more stable with an overclock. I haven't tested them in another system but I'm getting the same issues with both cards and with different drivers. Testing them in another system is pretty unlikely tbh but I can look into it. How else could I check the power supply?

Thanks.
Related resources
a c 513 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 6:41:32 PM

If the cards work OK in another system you can pretty much rule out the cards as the issue, that would leave something with your system. The only good way to check the power supply is to try another one, or put yours in a system that was able to run those cards with no issues.
November 8, 2012 8:00:34 PM

I can understand the 7850 maybe being dodgy but the 5670 is fine. Here's a screenshot of the white lines I mentioned http://i.imgur.com/CPidt.png

Any suggestions that don't require other hardware? I really don't have the money to be thrwoing at unnecessay parts right now.
Anything that could rule out the motherboard?
a c 513 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 8:52:30 PM

You can't rule out any hardware issues without testing / replacing them. I can't see the image, work has started blocking most picture hosting sites. If both cards are doing this in your system, the first thing to do is find out if they do that in other systems. Or maybe try a third card of a similar type in yours.
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 9:49:49 PM

I actually got a BSOD today playing Guild Wars 2 that I think was caused by my cards drivers, still waiting for someone to tell me for sure. Never happened to me before switching to 12.10 drivers a few weeks ago so maybe you have the same problem as me just more severe.
November 9, 2012 1:06:54 PM

mace200200 said:
I actually got a BSOD today playing Guild Wars 2 that I think was caused by my cards drivers, still waiting for someone to tell me for sure. Never happened to me before switching to 12.10 drivers a few weeks ago so maybe you have the same problem as me just more severe.

AMD's drivers are a bit shaky atm especially for the 7000 series. Unless it happens repeatedly I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. I get a BSOD after 5 minutes gameplay or while just browsing etc.. I'm pretty sure something has gone awry hardware wise for me, might be able to get my hands on a meter for the PSU so hopefully rule that out later today. OCCT psu test showed it to be stable but low voltage: sitting at 11.43V throughout the stress test and 11.49 idle but I'll check with the actual meter if I can. The other rails all looked normal.

I can't find anyone that's had those lines I'm getting though.
November 10, 2012 4:50:30 PM

PSU is fine running at a stable 11.9V. Tested 5670 in another system and it is fine. Right... is it my motherboard?

HALP!
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 7:51:18 PM

I would check your Memory before calling it a motherboard problem. At least your running DDR3, it's much cheaper than the older DDR2.
November 15, 2012 1:56:15 PM

Problem is fixed. Replaced motherboard with a ASUS M5A99X EVO and everything is running great again but with the 7850 in.

Not sure if I damaged the board on the first install of the 7850 (not ruling it out but it seems unlikely as I'm pretty ocd and overly gentle when touching components and I'm always dressed in the height of anti-static fashion) or if the 7850 damaged the ASRock M3A UCC somehow. There is a very large performance gap between the old ASRock and this new ASUS so I don't know if the card could've asked a bit much of it and damaged it or caused the board to damage itself. Would be interested to read if anyone has feedback on that.