Interview for IT Engineer

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Ok let me just start off my saying that first off I'm a general option Computer Science major. The job description simply calls for an IT engineer. I'm certified in Java Programming and I have knowledge from fields of computer science such as programming(C, C++, CUDA C, Java, Python, HTML, linux scripts, and a little perl), I have a decent knowledge of using forensic tools on both windows and linux OS, I know some of the basic concepts involving computer forensics, I have a pretty detailed mind map of networking and general security concepts, experience with software(forensic, networking, programming) from both linux and windows scopes, full understanding of the computer hardware(especially the GPU given the research I did over the summer), etc. I finish my college career May 2012 so I'm not sure how my grades will play into it if at all(current I have a 3.4 CGPA and a 3.1 Major GPA). I'm pretty nervous about this since when it comes to IT engineering I don't have much hands on experience but still they saw it fit to interview me. So any tips you guys can give me on successfully doing this interview? Some advice my professor gave me was to bring with me

> 1. Various concepts maps to demonstrate how important concepts are related.
> 2. Your research of various terminologies in IT areas based on your discoveries and interpretations. This may include video clips found at youTube or other websites, PDF files, or other sites. Make sure they are well organized.
> 3. Your plan to investigate security and/or IT issues in the near future.
> 4. The work progress of your SQL injection project.You may need to acquire some books related to SQL injection because most websites do not good discussions of this topic in depth. The more you invest, the better off you will be.

Given my previous track record with interviews maybe this is just the shot confidence talking. My professor, for good reason, says I tend to over think things a lot. Could it really be this simple?

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
computer science and computer engineering are not the same thing.
on the other hand, don't doubt yourself, give it a shot and hope for the best.
you are just applying for a job, don't worry, you will do this more than once and every experience counts.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Very true, I should take each interview I've done and look at things I did wrong and improve on them for this one.

Sounds to me you also have a nervous undertone, but that is me speaking.

If you want to be successful in an interview, apply all your knowledge and relay it to the interviewer. State why YOU should be the one he/she should hire. Explain why you are a person who is committed to their work.

From what I see so fa in your schooling, you seem to be a very bright person. You are knowledgeable, you show ability in your field. If i was to hire a specific engineer for a computer server/network project my company is doing, I would consider you.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Thank you for the kind words :D . Right now I'm building up my portfolio to do exactly what you said. Also I'm talking with friends and searching on google for interview tips. Its like you said I just have to have confidence in myself and go for it, show them that I'm the right person for the job. The worse they can do is not hire me, and like ik242 said every experience counts whether it be good or bad.

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
I was in your shoes some 20 years ago. When you leave college, landing your first job is the next important step in your life. You're anxious, you don't know what to expect and, from your post, you clearly want to be prepared. I've been in the position to interview some people, so let me tell you a bit what that looks like from the other side. This will be quite a personal account and by absolutely no means implies that all interviewers will be like me, far from it. It'll merely give you one example.

I work as a software developer and, it being a small company, there's probably a deadline coming up, about 10 different problems to solve and a training seminar to go to. In the middle of that I have to interview someone and I really don't have the time. I will, at best, read the first page of your CV. I'll probably spend a minute on it before it goes into the reject, interview or maybe pile. Basically this means your CV must be short, to the point, clearly laid out and highlight your highest, e.g. likely your most recent achievements, not your entire history. I may or may not check your references. It's quite possible that I don't.

This means, once you come to the interview, it's like a blank slate. I've taken what little I read about you on faith, but everything that came before only served to get you the interview. Now I'm going to form my own impressions. In my case, I follow the general philosophy of Joel Spolski, over from the "Joel on Software" web-site, who wrote something called the "Guerilla Guide to Interviewing". Joel worked for Microsoft at one point and I think his opinions and interview technique may well have formed there. By all means try to find his older versions of the guide, detailing about 10 different interview techniques, which are quite harsh. He toned it down in a later edition I read.

While I don't follow Joel's guide exactly, I subscribe to his 2 main criteria for selecting employees, they must be smart and they must get things done. I might give you a test, which could be a written test. It will contain problems you must solve. That will also be the general character of my interviews. I'm not that interested in what you know or what you've done. I'm far more interested in how quickly you learn. While I might talk to you about your university work, I will also pose you at least one question about a scenario taken from my work, which means you'll have to learn about what I do and the products that my company sells. The best advice I can give you to prepare is: get a good nights sleep, have your wits about you and inform yourself about the company you're applying to. At the least visit their web-site, if any.

The other thing that will be in the back of my mind is: will you fit in with the company. Do you truly wish to be in the job we're offering? Is it your first choice? Do you see it as a stepping stone? What is your understanding of the current jobs market? Are your salary expectations realistic? Will you be happy in a job at all, or are you more of an academic? According to Joel, academics are the people who are smart, but don't get things done. Which is fine, if would rather do research than merely apply it.

I was dubious about one guy we hired. He'd had a great interview for a technical support job, but ultimately wished to be a programmer. As it turned out, he has been one of the best hires we've had. Part of that has been his great attitude. He went for the tech support job, because he thought that's what he could get in the jobs market at the time. He worked in that job for some years and is now working as a programmer. It worked out well, because his and the company's expectations were the same.

Finally, if you get rejected, don't let it drag you down. As an interviewer I fully expect to reject people. I simply don't have the time nor the ability to truly determine whether someone will be a good hire. The result is that I'd rather let good people slip through the net than risk hiring someone I don't feel sure about. If I reject you, it simply means we didn't hit it off on the day, under the circumstances, with the limited time that we had.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Hmm I see what you are saying. Now that I'm taking software engineering I know exactly what you are talking about. Agile method sounds like beast even more so since I might have to use it for the class project that's suppose to be like 50% of our grade.

bspoone

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
the main thing in an interview, is to be confident and be comfortable. List your skills and assets and how you could help the company progress and after you say those things say " I am very eager to learn" and that you have no problem learning new things.

Of course having the experience is awesome, but its not always about that your personality also plays a big role into getting a job. Companies dont want to invest in a person who is close minded and doesnt get along with people.

And dont be afraid to ask the hiring manager some questions...makes you sound so much interested.

What kind of servers and systems they use at that specific company.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Everything went great. I was calm, responded great to their questions, and showed how my past experience would be a great for the position thus I got the job at IBM. Thanks for all the help guys. This can be applied to any job hunt not just IT related things so anyone else who may have a similar question could be led here. Once again guys thanks for the help.