Anyone have any idea I can fix this problem?

jeff

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Ok, I've been dabbling with home networking in various forms for about 10 years,
and have always been able to figure out how to resolve any issue..

However, recently I have come across a problem that is pissing me off.

Here is my setup.

PC1 = P4 2 Ghz - XP Pro
PC2 = P3 550 Mhz - XP Home
PC3 = Pentium 266 Mhz - Win98SE

All three have 10/100 ethernet cards of various brands. Netgear NIC on PC3.

Netgear FE104 Fast Ethernet Hub, with an uplink to a Linksys BEFSR11 router,
which connects to the 3Com cable modem.

PC1 and PC2 have never had a problem. I can share folders and printers, transfer
files, remote desktop, connect to Internet, etc. No problems.

I just added PC3 to the network. I get a solid link light to the hub, but
cannot get a connection to the network.

It will not get an IP from the router's DHCP server, and cannot view the other
computers on the network. I tried using the same network card and ethernet
cable from PC2, tried adjusting a dozen different network settings (speed,
half/full duplex, etc), but no change.

I tried manually setting IP, default gateway (to router), DNS servers, etc, and
no change. I've always had PC1 and PC2 manually configured that way, to not use
DHCP, so I know I'm doing it correctly. But PC1 and PC2 have both worked using
DHCP as well.

I have installed Win98 on both PC1 and PC2 in the past, with that hub/router
combo, and those worked perfectly, with no configuration needed.

Hell, I even tried installing WinME on PC3 (gasp), but no change.

Here's the strange thing. If I connect PC3 directly to the cable modem,
bypassing hub/router, it gets the IP info from that DHCP server, and connects to
the Internet perfectly. So I know the network card works.

Reset everything and reconnect to the hub/router, and nothing again. Just shows
the IP as the Windows-assigned 169.254.xxx.xxx

I guess there just has to be some problem with that old Pentium computer that is
not compatible. I originally had purchased it in 1997, I think. I had sold it
in 2000 to a family member when I purchased PC2, and recently re-obtained it for
tinkering purposes. I thought sure that I had networked it with other computers
before, for playing Doom and other MP games, but probably used IPX/SPX or
Netbeui with a hub. I didn't have a router or cable modem at the time.

Anyway, if anyone has any comments/suggestions/tips, I would be grateful.
Thanks.

Jeff

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

ok here is a flyer, is the cable you are using for pc3 a cross-over cable?
take the cable from pc1 and plug it into pc 3 and the hub

see what happens
jwm

"Jeff" <jeffs210@NOSPAMsio.midco.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> the IP as the Windows-assigned 169.254.xxx.xxx
>
> I guess there just has to be some problem with that old Pentium computer
that is
> not compatible. I originally had purchased it in 1997, I think. I had
sold it
> in 2000 to a family member when I purchased PC2, and recently re-obtained
it for
> tinkering purposes. I thought sure that I had networked it with other
computers
> before, for playing Doom and other MP games, but probably used IPX/SPX or
> Netbeui with a hub. I didn't have a router or cable modem at the time.
>
> Anyway, if anyone has any comments/suggestions/tips, I would be grateful.
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

jeff

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Nope, the PC3 cable is not a crossover cable. I forgot to mention that I did
test the cable for PC3 with one of the other computers and it worked fine.

Also, if it were a crossover cable, it wouldn't have worked with the direct
connection from PC3 to the cable modem. That's the part that kills me. I can
get a connection directly from PC3 to the cable modem, but I get nothing through
the hub/router.

Plus, I did mention that I tried the cable for PC2 and that didn't work either..
:)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep trying a bit before I give up. :)

"jmills" <jmillsjr@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> [...]
>shows
>> the IP as the Windows-assigned 169.254.xxx.xxx
>>
>> I guess there just has to be some problem with that old Pentium computer
>that is
>> not compatible. I originally had purchased it in 1997, I think. I had
>sold it
>> in 2000 to a family member when I purchased PC2, and recently re-obtained
>it for
>> tinkering purposes. I thought sure that I had networked it with other
>computers
>> before, for playing Doom and other MP games, but probably used IPX/SPX or
>> Netbeui with a hub. I didn't have a router or cable modem at the time.
>>
>> Anyway, if anyone has any comments/suggestions/tips, I would be grateful.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Have you tried another port on the Hub/Router, could be a bad port. If
that does not resolve it try a power reset on the router maybe the port
is just hosed.

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jeff wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>>the IP as the Windows-assigned 169.254.xxx.xxx
>>>
>>>I guess there just has to be some problem with that old Pentium computer
>>
>>that is
>>
>>>not compatible. I originally had purchased it in 1997, I think. I had
>>
>>sold it
>>
>>>in 2000 to a family member when I purchased PC2, and recently re-obtained
>>
>>it for
>>
>>>tinkering purposes. I thought sure that I had networked it with other
>>
>>computers
>>
>>>before, for playing Doom and other MP games, but probably used IPX/SPX or
>>>Netbeui with a hub. I didn't have a router or cable modem at the time.
>>>
>>>Anyway, if anyone has any comments/suggestions/tips, I would be grateful.
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Jeff

jeff

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Yea, I did try connecting to other ports on the hub, and no change. It always
gets a solid link light on any port.

I also tried connecting directly to the router (single port), and that didn't
work either. It must have some sort of imcompatibility with the router. The
only way it will work is if I connect it directly to the cable modem.

I may try to get 4 port router and get rid of the hub, and see if that makes any
difference. Although the two newer computers work perfectly with the setup I
have.

I am stumped. Oh well, that "PC3" would only be used for tinkering occasionally
anyway. No big deal if it can't get online or on the home network.

Thanks.

Danny Kile <kiledanny@NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote:

>Have you tried another port on the Hub/Router, could be a bad port. If
>that does not resolve it try a power reset on the router maybe the port
>is just hosed.

jeff

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Well, after a lot of swearing, kicking, and pulling of hair, I guess I figured
out my own problem.

I tried everything I could think of to get this to work. I even purchased a new
router (not sure why). That didn't work, and I was about to give up.

Then I recalled that I had that old P233 overclocked to about 290mhz (or so).

So I reset the jumpers on the MB to run the CPU at 233mhz.

And lo and behold, the damn thing works now. Go figure.

Strange that it would connect directly to the cable modem and work fine, but
would NOT connect to the router.

Anyway, I'm happy now. I guess I can take the new router back.