DeViLgunner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Ok I just finished installing Win XP on my new Maxtor 40 gig but now there is some super lag goin on. It takes 1 minute to load some programs but other things liek my computer load fine. I was usign a Wester Digital 40bb before and i never had such a lag problem. I am thinking it may haev to do with my installation of Win XP. When i tried to Partition the Maxtor it gave me a error at the end saying there was a error but when I tried the Partition (Quick) it worked fine. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

svol

Champion
Direct Memory Acces, it's an option in control panel - system - [your drive] which gives drives 10x as much speed or even more.
Without DMA my ATA66 drive runs at 2 Mb/s with DMA 23 Mb/s.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

DeViLgunner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Ok that was all set up but seems like all the lag happens the first few minutes that I boot up my computer its no big deal but it wasnt happening with my last hard drive. IT takes 2min for my RASPPPOE to Load and some other things but those are the only things that lag.

I am using a
amd Tbird 1.4
256 DDR PC2100
Maxtor 40gig 7200 rpm (windows loaded on this)
Western Digital 40bb 7200 rpm (Storage)
Elsa Gladiac 32 GTS

svol

Champion
Check if you don't have any IRQ problems which may slow down the system, also check if you have connected the cable right and that you use an ATA66/100 cable.
And which powersupply do you have, you may be running out of power?

svol

Champion
Maybe something with you cash settings.
Download <A HREF="http://www.outertech.com" target="_new">Cacheman</A> to adjust it.

G

I might have to say that perhaps you are loading generic XP IDE drivers? Determine if your MOBO manftr has XP drivers that may help.