Newly built computer, some problems.

joshduarte6

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Hello, everyone firstly I'd like to thank you for viewing this and taking the time to help me.

So I just finished my custom computer build yesterday and have been having constant problems, troubleshooting and fixing them as they come up. However my newest problem is much beyond me and I have no idea what's going on.

The problem is that when I log into or start up any game, my computer will crash.

When the screen goes black, I hear my video cards fans go into overdrive and then the computer will restart itself.

The specs for the computer are as follows.

Intel i5-3570k not overclocked yet
16GB Corsair Vengeance ram @ 1600 mhz
Asus P877V-LX motherboard
MSI 660TI video card
Coolmax 700w Power supply
128 gb OCZ Agility 4 SSD for my boot drive
1tb Western Digital green for my data drive

This is all inside of a Cooler Master HAF 912 case, with 4 total fans. The CPU is cooled by a Corsair h60 water cooling system.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2hg4l0w.png

joshduarte6

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

This is what I was thinking, I already own this PSU for another computer of mine and I've never had this problem and I think that the problem you're getting at is what may be wrong.

However this just started happening out of nowhere. I had been playing Starcraft II for about an hour then I logged off and when I went to log on this started happening. It's happened about 5 times now and I tried reseating the card and checking all the wiring to make sure nothing came loose but still, nothing.

-Just check your external power connectors that have to be plugged into the card. If they are not getting power, the card will draw too much power from the PCI bus and the power supply will tell the computer to shut down.
(or on a cheap mother board/ power supply you get a nice little fire that melts your PCI slot)

-Make sure the graphics card is fully seated in the correct slot

- if you know it is getting proper external power you might have a bad Graphics processor. I got one once and the machine kept shutting down so I was stupid and put it in my wife's cheap POS machine and powered up and burned out her motherboard's video slot. What a pain.

joshduarte6

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

I ended up taking my computer into my local Fry's, where I bought the parts for the computer and they ran a quick diagnostic on the computer and determined the PSU was dead right out of the box. It wasn't supplying the correct volatges to the card which caused it to fail under load. So I bought a more reliable brand with higher wattage.

Been gaming for a steady 45 minutes now and still nothing, so I'm thinking I got it. Thank you guys!