FPS in games slowly gets lower until I restart the computer.

Nov 9, 2012
Hello, I've used this site to help me countless of times before, but now I've encountered an issue that I cannot find a solution for.

So I've had this issue for a couple of months, I first noticed it while playing TES: Skyrim, at the menu screen I had it sitting on 60 fps (Vsync, old monitor), and during the course of maybe 12 hours it's down to 50 fps, and if I keep the computer running it goes down as far as 32 fps where it stops and does not go lower.

Now the same thing goes for SWTOR where the fps loss is anywhere from 20 to 40 or so.

If I restart the computer, it "resets" and starts ticking down slowly over time again.

I'll try and list all the things I've tried to fix this:

Reinstalled both games.
Reinstalled nvidia drivers, in safe mode with driversweeper, tested older drivers as far back as may 2012.
Checked the temperatures and none of them seems abnormal.
Virus/malware scanned using Avast, symantec online scan, malwarebytes.
Clean everything once or twice a week with CCleaner.
Scanned with Spybot Search & Destroy
I reformatted my HDD yesterday and reinstalled everything, same problem occurs.

Computer specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz quad core
RAM: 8192MB
DirectX: 11
Gfxcard: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Everything is bought new a few months back only.

The only "old" part I have is my HDD which is a 4 or 5 year old 250gb one.

Temperatures(celcius):
Idle:
Mobo: 48
CPU: 37
GPU: 39

While running SWTOR(Skyrim temps are lower):
Mobo: 70
CPU: 58
GPU: 59

I've run out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Also I've just looked at your post, your motherboard is running really hot. Mine doesnt go above 40C. Your CPU and GPU temps are fine, so they are not lowering there clock rate due to heat. That guy didnt quite read what your posted. IMO its actually running to cool.

Nov 9, 2012
My old motherboard had similiar temps to my current one if I remember correctly.

I use EVGA Precision to control my gpu's fanspeed and it shows the clocks for the card also, none of them have moved, they stay the same before and after a reboot (810 core clock, 1620 shader clock and 2004 memory clock).

I have my case standing next to my balcony door which is open almost 24/7, probably why it's running cool, except for the motherboard I guess.

Providing a pic of temperatures and other info with CPUID HWmonitor(idle):
http://imgur.com/rLmkz

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Your motherboard temps look ok, your tmpin2 is your North bridge. And that seems a little high

Nov 9, 2012

You wouldn't have any idea to what might be wrong? Or have any tests I could run to figure it out?

I'm grateful that you're taking your time to aid me either way.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Well as idle thats really high mine now at idle is at 27C. But take into mind the TMPIN2 is different for each motherboard, most of the time its the NB. Theres mulitple tests you can run that will rule out what it could be.

Prime 95 (CPU):

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

MSI Kombustor (GPU):

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Run which ever you want for about 10-15 and then run the next one. After that post your temps and I'll take a look and see what doesnt seem right. If you can run them about 20-30 without no crashing, freezing, or any other problems it would rule out that it could be a problem with the CPU or GPU. The next one would be the memory. And theres test to do that will see if theres anything wrong with it.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

As for your temps, safe temps AMD posts for the phenom series is 62C, your CPU is running extremely hot and your TMPIN2 is really hot as well. What I believe is happening is that your CPU is throttling its clock speed down to prevent from getting to hot. And thats what causing the FPS drops, it isnt a problem with your GPU as running Kombustor for 30 mins is decent enough to rule out that it could be a problem with that. What most systems do to prevent from overheating is completely shutting down, but your system doesnt seem to do that. Download this program: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html go to the CPU tab and watch the clock speed while playing a game. Watch and see if it throttles down, normal would be about 10-20mhz if it goes anymore than that then that could be your problem. But dont rule out the memory yet, I'll try and find the memtest link for you.

sunnk

Distinguished
Two major sources produce computer game lag: the Internet and your computer's specifications. If your game stops and seems to be processing or the display moves slowly, then you are a victim of lag caused by either your computer system's software or hardware. You can view your frames-per-second (FPS) in most games; a low FPS means the lag comes from your system. If there is simply a delay in your actions, e.g. you perform an action in game that does not resolve for multiple seconds, then the problem is associated with the Internet.

cause of computer-system-based lag is software. Many times lag exists because the internal components need to have their software, called drivers, updated. You can often find driver updates on manufacturer websites as a free download.

Games have built-in tools to help them run smoother. If you're playing an Internet-based game there's almost always an icon that shows you how strong your connection to the game servers are. Frequently showed in units of milliseconds (ms), this tells you how long it takes for your computer to communicate with the servers. Common terms for lag are latency and ping. Sometimes issues with the servers cause high latency and are therefore unavoidable. Other tools in-game include video settings where you can adjust the quality of the game to increase system performance.

You can fix frustrating lag easily. Ensure that you have no other programs actively accessing the Internet while you are playing your game. Internet providers limit each subscriber to a certain bandwidth, so the more programs you have using your bandwidth the less flexibility your game has to transmit information.better try to update your nvidia display driver too because it happens with mine nvidia gpu too before some weak it was caused by the driver>:)

Nov 9, 2012
Had memtest running for almost 5 hours while I was out today, no issues.

Sunnk, it's not latency related, since the FPS is running lower, and I stated in my first post that I've tried all the drivers from the latest all the way back to may 2012.

I do appreciate you taking your time to help me out still.

Nov 9, 2012

Core speed sits at 3221Mhz while I run the game, 3 hours later it's the same, haven't noticed it drop at all, checked once or twice every minute.

CPU temperature during those three hours was around 55-57 C.

Nov 9, 2012
First time in over 10 years I've encountered a computer problem I haven't found a solution for in 30 minutes.

This is driving me nuts...

All your help is great, picked up a few new informative things, so I guess this experience isn't completely bad. :)

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Well its not your CPU or GPU that are being the problem, as there not overheating or have any problems, as the prime and kombustor for 30 mins something would have happened. The only thing at this moment I think it is, is a heat issue, the TMPIN2 which is the NB temperature on most motherboards, which is running really hot in game, idle its fine. Thats what I think your problem could be. Sometimes, the readings that HWMonitor and other hardware monitors get arent very accurate. But the only thing I can stand behind now is a motherboard issue.

mjbeach

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Hey boss, After 3+ hours of searching I found the ansswer (at least for me). Its not a hardware problem, you have a virus that affect your mouse. Look in your process list for stij.exe this is the culprit. If you kill that process and restart your game everything should work. This is just a bandaid ... you really need to get rid of the virus. This is the uninstall guide im currently using. http://zorfaalam.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/remove-stij-exe-how-to-remove-stij-exe/

Normally I dont post this stuff but since the answer seemed to be no where i thought i should help, in return just copy and past this on to a thread with same problem somewhere else.

Peace, Mike