Sign in with
Your question

Some things disapeard from my HD after powerfailur

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2001 10:57:56 AM

That's right... I was sitting and doing a bit of programming when my computer (and all lights) suddelny died... the power went back on a few minutes later. I started my computer... it found both HDs... everything seemed to be alright... but then it starts prompting that some files can't be found... it won't load windows.. cause the "windows" folder isn't anymore! I can browse around my HD and open other folders and load TXT files and stuff from DOS, but the "windows" folder is completly gone! I ran a scandisk from a boot disk and it states that it is nothing wrong with my systemdrive... WHAT has happend and what should I do?

Eagerly awaiting some respons
/Tobias
December 26, 2001 5:26:17 PM

Just out of curiosity, what OS are you using? Sounds like you're SOL unless you have a backup. Maybe someone else more knowledgable can help.

Santa must be a trucker.

Dorr, MI
December 26, 2001 7:05:48 PM

this is why you should backup backup backup.

i'd keep playing with it for a little while and see if it pops up again. for all that data to suddenly dissappear is nuts.

What is your operating system?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 27, 2001 1:50:32 PM

On that computer (which I rarley use, my mother and father uses it most of the time) I have (or maybe I should say "Had" =) W98, and the HD is a FAT32 formated...
December 27, 2001 9:51:08 PM

I hope you had surge protection. If you cannot find the windows directroy you will have to reinstall windows. :frown:

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 28, 2001 7:33:44 AM

Nope... I didn't... I have surge protection on my computer, the one I use, but not on that one. Anyways, Thank you for your advice (?), but I didn't have the patience to wait anymore... So I just made a reinstall of windows ;)  hehe... But I have lost some HD space... pretty wierd... anyways thanx!
December 28, 2001 9:47:13 AM

maybe the hard drive is on the way to "file 13", aka, the trash...
if you are loosing space, something is going on...that is not good.
did you do fdisk?
or format it at all?
you might have lost a few sectors.
and would need to do a low level format to fix it.
run some diagnostics on the drive...from the manufacturer.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
!