Awful dial-up speeds on new PC build

Spumpkin

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hi folks. I've got a BIG problem. :cry:

So, I just set up my cable modem & router on my new PC. Previously, my modem had been directly connected to my 10 year old Gateway PC; max speed was around 15Mbps. When I got everything hooked up to my new build, I was horrified to see that my speed had dropped to less than 1.45Mbps. So, my first thought was that this had something to do with the router (this is my first time using one, so I assumed I had done something wrong). I disconnected the router, and hooked up my broadband modem directly to the PC. Well...no such luck. The speed was exactly the same. This is my first 100% built from scratch computer. I'm sitting here, on the verge of tearing my hair out, because I can't figure out what on earth I've done wrong.

I'm unsure what specs I should provide, aside from the integrated Realtek RTL8111E - 10/100/1000 Controller, on my Biostar A87OU3. Let me know of any other details I need to divulge, if necessary, in order to solve this problem.

I'm stumped.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not using dial-up. LOL The title is a bit misleading. What I mean is, that is how terrible the speed is on my broadband modem.