Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is it still worth it to get a GTX 670? (upgrading from 570gtx)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 9, 2012 3:16:02 AM

Hi guys,

Just wondering if it is still a good decision to upgrade to a GTX 570 (Asus DirectCU II) given that it has been out for a while now, or should I just wait for next cycle? I am getting ready my rig for Rome Total War 2 btw and I think my 570 would struggle at max settings(@1920x1080).

my current rig's info:

i7 950 (no overclock)
Asus DirectCU GTX 570
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
6gb G.skill RAM
1500w Theramltake power supply
1920x1080 Benq XL2420T

Or if you have any other upgrade suggestions within 450USD that would benefit more, please tell me.
Thank you in advance any advice.

Regards,
-santi
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2012 3:34:16 AM

i would wait till next gen stuff comes out. and with the 450 bucks i would get a new motherboard and cpu. and 8gb of ram.
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 3:43:51 AM

I would wait the 570 is only 25% to 35% percent slower
Score
0
Related resources
November 9, 2012 3:57:08 AM

computernoob29 said:
i would wait till next gen stuff comes out. and with the 450 bucks i would get a new motherboard and cpu. and 8gb of ram.


Thanks for the reply.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that currently any cpu above i7 950 that is compatible with my MB won't probably make much noticeable performance increase for gaming. As for ram, I think anything over 4gb would be would only gain minimal fps increase, gaming-wise.



Score
0
November 9, 2012 4:05:34 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I would wait the 570 is only 25% to 35% percent slower


Yes, that much i know. but according to rumours, the next gen would prolly roll out around march 2013, starting with the 680 equivalent first, then 670 equivalent a few months after. Rome 2 comes out in Jan 2013 .... meaning that I won't be able to play at max setting until April or May 2013.

I know, first world problems...
Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 4:23:49 AM

Unless you refuse to buy AMD, keep in mind that AMD will probably get next gen cards out much sooner than Nvidia. Supposedly, we'll see some of them from AMD before the end of the year.

Also, 4GB of system memory is really pushing your luck for a gaming computer these days. Some games are getting really close to being bottle-necked by 4GB on Windows 7.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 4:28:22 AM

Well you sound pretty set on a 670 so i would go for MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $389.99 for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.The other card i recommend is Asus TOP for its high factory overclock, cool temps, and really, really quiet fans.heavily modified PCB, with an efficient VRM design to produce low temperatures, improved voltage regulation circuitry, much better ChiL controller , specially binned chip and voltage control and monitoring support that you won't find on most other non-reference cards.I doubt you'll find it in stock though the Asus non top is not the same card so i would skip it and go with MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition. In fact, in some games this card is even faster than a reference GTX 680. The massive factory overclocking really makes this a quick card. And the card gets even better if you look at power consumption. In these test it's almost in a league of its own.
ASUS GTX 670 TOP = Silent.
MSI GTX 670 PE = Better Overclocking.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r... (670 PE OC)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r... (ASUS 670 TOP OC)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_6... (ASUS 670 TOP Overclocking)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_67... (MSI 670 PE Overclocking)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_6... (ASUS 670 TOP Temperature)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_67... (MSI 670 PE Temperature)

Pick which you care more about. Nothing is Perfect between those 2 card. If you care more about silent, I would choose ASUS, but if you care more about Overclocking, I would go for 670 PE. Both are Excellent card. Also the benchmarks are out dated and the 7970 has new drivers which put it beating even 680.
Share
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 4:32:30 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Well you sound pretty set on a 670 so i would go for MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $389.99 for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.The other card i recommend is Asus TOP for its high factory overclock, cool temps, and really, really quiet fans.heavily modified PCB, with an efficient VRM design to produce low temperatures, improved voltage regulation circuitry, much better ChiL controller , specially binned chip and voltage control and monitoring support that you won't find on most other non-reference cards.I doubt you'll find it in stock though the Asus non top is not the same card so i would skip it and go with MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition. In fact, in some games this card is even faster than a reference GTX 680. The massive factory overclocking really makes this a quick card. And the card gets even better if you look at power consumption. In this test it's almost in a league of its own.
ASUS GTX 670 TOP = Silent.
MSI GTX 670 PE = Better Overclocking.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r... (670 PE OC)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r... (ASUS 670 TOP OC)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_6... (ASUS 670 TOP Overclocking)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_67... (MSI 670 PE Overclocking)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_6... (ASUS 670 TOP Temperature)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_67... (MSI 670 PE Temperature)

Pick which you care more about. Nothing is Perfect between those 2 card. If you care more about silent, I would choose ASUS, but if you care more about Overclocking, I would go for 670 PE. Both are Excellent card.


http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt6030210...
Do you dislike this Zotac AMP! card? It too has a huge GPU frequency factory overclock (considerably larger than that of the MSI PE card) in addition to a large memory frequency factory overclock. At least at stock, I'd put it at quite a bit faster than the MSI PE and Asus DCII TOP cards. IDK how it'd compare in overclocking and noise, so if those are factors for why you didn't account for it, please say so.
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 4:41:11 AM

blazorthon said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt6030210...
Do you dislike this Zotac AMP! card? It too has a huge GPU frequency factory overclock (considerably larger than that of the MSI PE card) in addition to a large memory frequency factory overclock. At least at stock, I'd put it at quite a bit faster than the MSI PE and Asus DCII TOP cards. IDK how it'd compare in overclocking and noise, so if those are factors for why you didn't account for it, please say so.
I didn't put the AMP! Because of the TechPowerUp review Quote: Important: All data in this review was obtained after I repaired a major design error of the card. When I received it, the card ran extremely high temperatures, reaching beyond 100°C. This is caused by screws with integrated stop, that resulted in too little mounting pressure between GPU and heatsink. I added four metal washers, by removing the screws, adding the washer and putting the screws back. The cooler was not removed for this procedure, thermal paste was not changed. Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_67...

Score
0
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 4:42:42 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I didn't put the AMP! Because f the TechPowerUp review Quote: Important: All data in this review was obtained after I repaired a major design error of the card. When I received it, the card ran extremely high temperatures, reaching beyond 100°C. This is caused by screws with integrated stop, that resulted in too little mounting pressure between GPU and heatsink. I added four metal washers, by removing the screws, adding the washer and putting the screws back. The cooler was not removed for this procedure, thermal paste was not changed. Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_67...


From what I'm told, that issue was fixed a few months ago. Ehh, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it was resolved.
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 4:46:09 AM

blazorthon said:
From what I'm told, that issue was fixed a few months ago. Ehh, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it was resolved.
You might be right i have not heard anything so that is why i never recommend it but it doesn't mean it's a bad card just going by what i read i never used the card personally.
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 5:43:04 AM

I honestly would not upgrade period yet if i was you just wait for new NV or if your open to AMD then wait till the release of the next year cards none of today cards will out preform the 570 by double
Score
0
November 9, 2012 5:46:14 AM

blazorthon said:
Unless you refuse to buy AMD, keep in mind that AMD will probably get next gen cards out much sooner than Nvidia. Supposedly, we'll see some of them from AMD before the end of the year.

Also, 4GB of system memory is really pushing your luck for a gaming computer these days. Some games are getting really close to being bottle-necked by 4GB on Windows 7.


nah... AMD is fine by me also, I'll keep an eye out for their new models for sure. I got 6gb of ram(tripple channel 1600mhz), so I should be safe for awhile i guess.
Score
0
November 9, 2012 5:51:45 AM

@ bigcyco1

Thanks for info, I am really leaning towards Asus, as I don't overclock manually and I just have had a better experience with Asus in past.

Again, thanks for the in-depth info.
Score
0
November 9, 2012 5:55:29 AM

Best answer selected by santi28.
Score
0
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 6:07:29 AM

Your welcome enjoy!
Score
0
!