Something shorting my computer in new build (HELP!)

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
So I have a new build. And right now I have everything in the case with backplate screws for the motherboard. I turn the computer on, and after a few seconds, it freezes. Which means there is a short somewhere. I say this because I ran the new build out of its case (on its mobo box) and booted and worked just fine. So that backs up my point with nothing is broken. Anyway, like I said I have the mobo screwed in with the backplate screws under them. So I am completely lost on what could be possibly shorting it. I really need help :|

Specs:
cpu: AMD Phenom II x6 1090
gpu: Sapphire Radeon 6870
heat sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
mobo: GA-890GPA0-UD3H
Case: HAF 912
PSU: corsair cx600 builder series

just because it freezes doesnt mean there is a short. most likely a motherboard problem. did you try resetting the cmos and removing the battery . i on new boards its just a button you press to clear it. it could be a bad bios also so maybe updating the bios could help as well as checking if there is a bios update needed for that board to support your cpu.

it also could be a bad power supply or memory issue. list your memory as well and try a single stick in the first slot.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Take it back out and make sure it still works. Then check your motherboard tray and make sure all the standoffs align with the correct holes in your motherboard. After both of these steps you can try to put it back in the case.

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Like I said before it works out of the case. I used it just an hour ago. So it isnt a bad power supply. I have reset the cmos and it still freezes during boot.

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Trust me, I have done this about 10 times. It still works.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Check the mounting holes on the motherboard and make sure that none of the standoffs or screws could be shorting against a pint or trace on the motherboard. If it does look like this may be the issue some screw kits come with insulated washers that you could use.

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Could adding washers to all of them just for the sake of desperation be a bad thing?

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
You mean the screen freezes right?
Make sure the video card is fully seated, the MB may be sitting to low for the board to seat.
If the mb has internal graphics you can test without the graphics card or any others installed.

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Well the gpu is definitely fully seated. Like I said before everything works outside of the case.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Check to see if anything in your case could be shorting out to the motherboard, screws, metal tabs, hard drive cages, etc. Put the motherboard back in and try it without the GPU. Does it spin up the power supply fan and the cpu fan? Are you attaching the front panel connectors properly? Check your manual and make sure. Also does the backplate on the cooler touch the motherboard tray?

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Thank you for all of the responses. And if it seems im rejecting ideas then im sorry. its just that I have been putting up with this for the past 3 days and have tried a lot of things. But I will try it without the gpu. The backplate to my hyper 212 plus is universal and works with amd and intel sockets, so when its on the amd side the intel socket holes are really close to the back of the case. But I can't tell if it is actually touching it or not. the psu and cpu fans both spin when I turn the computer on and continue to when the screen freezes. And I didnt know the front panel connectors could cause a short if they are being put the wrong way?