RAM Count

G

Bought a stick of OEM 256mb 3.3v w/EPROM unbuffered PC133. I have a generic mobo (Alton, never heard of it), currently with 128mb RAM. Running Win XP, PIII 850 with 100mhz FSB...everything works well. Problem is the 256mb RAM only registers as a 128mb. I removed the 128 leaving the 256 in the first slot, still reads 128. Exchanged it for another, still reading 128. What gives???? The manual to the mobo indicates that it can handle up to 512mb RAM each (2 slots) a total of 1024mb.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fidlrr on 12/26/01 11:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Is that what the startup screen or Windows is saying?

If either says they see all of it and the other doesn't try running a memory checking utility (like checkit) to make sure of exactly which memory locations are properly being used.

If it turns out that you find out that in fact all the locations are functioning and being used, you could then most likely forget about it and assume everything is working but the memory counting routines.

If it turns out that in fact the are 128MB locations not being used, it almost narrows it to a memory controller problem. You've mostly eliminated the chances of it being memory by trying two sticks. If it turns out being a memory controller problem there isn't much you can do, but replace the motherboard.

G

Since the chips dimm makers use have a preset number of pins, all your really saving is a trace or two on the dimm PCB, and MB PCB. In the grand scheme probably less than a penny per board.

Since the overall perception by the end user (me) is that this is so TOTALLY lame, it seems to me it would be worth the ~$13/hour to get some CAD jockey to add what is necessary.

My question is this: is it really worth it? I mean gee whiz was this particular board that crowded?

Or maybe there is some other underlying bit of wisdom I'm just not seeing?

G

I've never had the, uh, pleasure. Now I probably won't even bother.

See, they already lost a customer who has never even heard of them before.