Suggestions for my 1st build system ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
Hi everyone on the forums! I need some suggestions about what components should I buy, or some tips you could give me for my first ever, own made computer.

First of all, I thought it would be easier if I tell you, what do I do, and what do I want to do with a PC.

So in 4 months I'll be studying Publicity Design so I need a beast PC for video editing, photo editing, 3D rendering etc.
To make things short... I'm a full-time gamer :pt1cable: So basically I want a powerfull PC that plays current games maxed out to ultra settings and work fluidly with my PC. Also I want that it lasts being like high-end for a couple years. But the most important thing is that I don't have a super budget to spend, maybe $1,100 usd

I don't care 2 flying rocks about and why: :non:

:pfff: Multiple Displays: Really! I don't need anything more than one 1080p display.
:pfff: Super pricey, multiple graphics cards: I'm no expert in this but as far as I know multiple GPU's don't make a difference unless you use multiple displays.
:pfff: Flashy & cheesy lighting inside my PC: I mean, I don't care if some component has built-in lights but I wont spend a cent in lighting.
:pfff: HUGE PC cases: Completely the opposite, I need my PC as small as I could have it.

So I already know I want a Intel i7-3770K (Maybe there's something better but I don't know) Which motherboard do you recommend for this particular processor?
Which graphic card should I get? I think this is the most important thing to do. I was thinking about getting the AMD Radeon HD 6970.
I have 4 months to plan it out, any suggestions or tips are totally welcome! Thanks! :hello:

Solution
I’d go with this one:
ASRock X79 Extreme 4-M LGA 2011
EVGA GTX660ti
Antec HCG-900 Power supply
Intel i7-3820
SSD-128 GB
Gskill Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3 12800
Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb 7200 SATA hard disk
Blu ray burner of your choice.
NZXT Vulcan case

Reasons: 1155 will be discontinued long before 2011 is. Yes, I know the i7 is a sandy bridge, they don’t offer a 2011 Ivy bridge yet. The Power supply is more than what you need, you can get by on a 700 W, but it is very dependable, quiet and will handle any additions. The NZXT is a small case that can be toted around with an optional handle and if you don’t want the pretty light, there is an off switch. There is more than enough room for the listed components.

But I need to caution...

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
HI

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.93 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1070.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-26 18:47 EST-0500)

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012

Hi! I read that post before but I think it is irrelevant since I already know where I can get all PC components and also there's this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/358998-31-worldwide-online-computer-parts-stores . Overclocking? I really don't care a lot. If it can be done I guess it's better. I need to buy a display but I guess it is cheaper to buy one around here. I will install Windows 8 on it. I just want to know what motherboard, RAM, graphic card, power supply, cooling system and case are the best for the things I addressed earlier. But anyways, I'm from México City. :) And thanks for the welcome :hello:

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
I’d go with this one:
ASRock X79 Extreme 4-M LGA 2011
EVGA GTX660ti
Antec HCG-900 Power supply
Intel i7-3820
SSD-128 GB
Gskill Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3 12800
Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb 7200 SATA hard disk
Blu ray burner of your choice.
NZXT Vulcan case

Reasons: 1155 will be discontinued long before 2011 is. Yes, I know the i7 is a sandy bridge, they don’t offer a 2011 Ivy bridge yet. The Power supply is more than what you need, you can get by on a 700 W, but it is very dependable, quiet and will handle any additions. The NZXT is a small case that can be toted around with an optional handle and if you don’t want the pretty light, there is an off switch. There is more than enough room for the listed components.

But I need to caution you, although a high end gaming GPU can handle some 3D rendering, its not what they are good at. You will get pixel errors with even the best gaming card. To run your computer as a workstation you have to be in a server architecture, which is why I floated the 2011 socket. You also need a dedicated workstation graphics card. Workstation GPUs are expensive and they suck at games and vice versa.

Solution

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks for the info man, and yes I researched a little bit more and GPU's for serious 3D rendering and all that stuff are insanely expensive, almost like an used car :B I think I will go for the EVGA GTX 680. If I add the price of all the components I want, the PC overpasses the limit I said before but I think it is for good :B And about the procesor... Why not a 3770k? What's the matter with the socket? I will not do anything (school-wise) outside AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Sony Vegas. It won't be anything serious, it is just for learning and practicing. And you know? I won't buy any new components at least for 2 or 3 years or when I really see a new thing is needed. Anyways, do you recommend the 3820 over 3770k? Thanks! :hello:

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012

Not quite so:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195109

This is a good entry level rendering card. It does crossfire and eyefinity. $150, so its not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.