Nov 9, 2012
I bought a long-awaited, hard-earned new computer, which arrived yesterday:

Intel I5 Ivy Bridge 3450 3.10ghz CPU
Asus P8z77-V LX Motherboard
1 TB Serial ATA Hard Drive
16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz patriot Viper Memory
Nvidia GTX 650 TI 1 GB PCI-E Graphics Card With HDMI
Windows 7

It arrived almost a week earlier than I was expecting so I haven't even got the monitor for it yet. To test it was working, I plugged an HDMI-HDMI cable from the PC to my HDTV (A Philips 32"... I don't know the exact model but if it makes a difference, I'll find out!). The lights and fans come on, but the TV says 'No video signal'.

I don't know if it boots up W7 because obviously I can't see! There are no obvious error beeps.
I've tried searching for answers for the last 24hrs but most involve checking settings, and of course without a display, I can't do that! I'm assuming other people are using the HDTV as a second monitor or have a monitor available, which I don't.

The hdmi slot is on the mb. Could this be the problem? The card has a min-hdmi, dvi and vga. Do I need to use one of those instead? (And if so, out of interest, why does the mb have a hdmi slot at all if it's not usable!?)

Im a long way from town here and don't drive. My daughter just went into the local PC shop to get a HDMI-min-HDMI adaptor or lead and he insisted that she didn't need that at all; that the HDMI-HDMI would 'do the job' as it's 'all on the same graphics card anyway'. The 'same card' comment suggests I may be thinking along the right lines...?

Any ideas or info you can give me would be much appreciated at this point. I'm just about ready to call it 800euro's-worth of night-light at this stage!! (well, the neon blue lights are pretty cool!)

bigbasedrum

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Nope! He's wrong! You need the HDMI-minHDMI cable to get it working on the tv. The reason for this is that the output on the motherboard and the output on the card itself are in fact no the same card, as he put it. The one on the motherboard uses the internal graphics of the processor. Since these are turned off because the graphics card has been set to the default display device, it won't work. Good Luck! It should work with the adapter.

madmumm

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
OK, awesome, I suspected I was on the right track! I was cross that he steered her off and called him. When he started into the same story with me 'no-no, the HDMI to HDMI cable will work...' I pointed out that the HDMI was, in fact, on the mb and he stopped and said 'Ah...!'! Sheesh!! Still, at least if someone else gets sent in to ask for an HDMI-anything-else, he won't be so fast to tell them they don't need it!!
They havent got a mini-HDMI adaptor/lead in the local shop so I've got him to hold me a HDMI-DVI: that'll do the job in the meantime, right? (just to check I understand it, I 'could' use vga either but that'd be the last choice because of it being analogue not digital, is that it?)
Thanks for helping so quickly :)

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Thats correct. Hdmi-Dvi will work fine. And yes. Vga is none digital. :) Enjoy the new pc!

treadwaygay

Honorable
May 22, 2013