Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade or not?

Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2012 10:18:19 PM

Current PC specs are at the bottom of this post.

My Question
Should I simply purchase a new/used LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboard and purchase a 3rd party heatsink as well -OR- would I be better off purchasing some newer PC parts for my case (i.e. a newer motherboard, CPU, and graphics card)?

Why am I asking this question?
I do not do a lot of gaming nor am I interested in overclocking the CPU. My thinking is that newer parts should be more energy efficient which would save me money in the long-term. I am looking for some opinions/suggestions since I have not kept up with advances in hardware and I have more time than money.

Note: 6 months ago, my brother purchased a Radeon HD 7750 graphics card (because it would fit inside his case) and an energy efficient Cooler Master 450 watt power supply for his aging Compaq Presario PC. While the 7750 card is considered to be an entry-level gaming card he told me that he is impressed with the performance. My thinking is that a Radeon HD 7770 graphics card would be "good enough" for any future gaming needs that I might have.

Background Information
My PC turns on but the 2 connected monitors do not detect a signal. I recently ordered an inexpensive debug card which should help me determine exactly what is causing my "no POST" problem, however, I am pretty sure that my motherboard needs to be replaced. Why do I say this? About 3 years ago, I was thinking about building an Intel i7 box. What I wound up doing was purchasing a slightly used i7-920 PC on eBay. My thinking was that in a down economy, if I was patient, I could nab myself a great deal. Well, things didn't quite work out that way. The PC that I wound up winning in an auction wasn't packaged properly and it arrived with only some cosmetic damage to the case (or so I thought). The PC came with 6 GB of installed RAM, however, on most days that I actually checked, the PC would report either 2GB or 4GB of installed RAM. I ran diagnostic tests (e.g. memtest) and looked on the web for solutions. Finally, I was forced to take my motherboard outside of the case (it currently sits on top of a cardboard box) to look for an electrical short. I never found the cause of the missing memory problem, however, I did notice that the CPU cooler was installed without any insulating foam for the bracket. Anyway, I was okay with the 4 GB of RAM that my rig did recognize until my 1 TB hard disk started acting up last week. I wound up damaging my CPU Cooler when I temporarily removed it (3 wires that measure the CPU temperature broke off).

CPU: Intel Core i7-920
CPU Cooler: ULTRA ChillTec 939
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Memory: Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz -- 6GB total (3 x 2GB sticks)
1st Harddrive: 1 TB
2nd Harddrive: 250 GB
Video Card: GTX 285
Power Supply: Corsair 750 watts
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2012 10:36:17 PM

yesss Radeon HD 7770 is the minimum requirement to play any game

you could be better with 7850 1Gb but it will drain double power lol
!