Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Different graphic cards running too hot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 9, 2012 3:23:25 PM

Hi all,

First to describe my system:

CPU q9550
motherboard ASUS Striker II formula
8 BG ram
PSU coolermaster 650 W
Casing coolermaster

I have 2 brand new graphic cards: GTX 560 and AMD 7850.

When I place them in other PC, GTX 560 idles at 34 c (93.2 F), AMD7850 idles at 27 c ( 80.6 F)

When I place those same cards in my PC, GTX 560 idles at 59 c and AMD 7850 idles at 40 c

Before I bought these two cards I had a GTX 260 which just couldnt run on this computer due to overheating, its temperature was at 74 c idle and 110 c when playing.

I know this particular motherboard has problems with high temps but I solved it by placing 12" fan. Also due to all these high temperatures I am keeping my casing open on one side. It is not close to any heating element in the house... I am pretty much out of ideas...

Thank you all for reading and hope you share some thoughts!

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2012 3:28:36 PM

What case are you using?
Is there proper cable management?

A card is can only be cooled if the air around it is cool. If the case can not properly ventilate its air, then the ambient rises, with it the card does as well.
a c 148 U Graphics card
a c 128 V Motherboard
November 9, 2012 3:29:55 PM

I would be more inclined to blame this on poor airflow in the case. not the motherboard. What case is the system in?
Related resources
November 9, 2012 3:30:14 PM

case as stated, coolermaster casing... What you mean proper cable management specifically?

Air is room temp since I stated I keep the casing open due to these high temps...
November 9, 2012 3:31:05 PM

bignastyid said:
I would be more inclined to blame this on poor airflow in the case. not the motherboard. What case is the system in?


hmmmmmm I have 1x8" fan and 12" in casing but I always believed I dont need more since I keep casing open... ?
a c 148 U Graphics card
a c 128 V Motherboard
November 9, 2012 3:41:00 PM

How many fans you have isn't as important as how they are arranged. For instance if you have a bunch of intake fans and no exhaust or vice versa you'll have problems. The 780I chipset did run hot but I never had issues keeping my system cool. That system is in an antec 902 case 2 120mm fans in the front both intake 1 120mm on the side also intake. 1 120mm on the back as exhaust and 1.200mm on the top set to exhaust. Along with proper cable management I never had overheating issues.
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2012 3:46:48 PM

the 260 and the 560 especially were heat mongers.......... putting that aside, what power supply is in each case. please be specific. the coolermaster ( purchased with CM case ) ?........ might be rather low end. cheap PS's make everything run hotter because they can't provide proper power.
November 9, 2012 3:49:45 PM

cables are really good. PSU is at the bottom under all hardware and just goes up to reach where its needed. Its neatly done.
As for exhaust, I still dont see difference it would make to have exhaust when I keep an entire side of the PC open. I mean are you sure it would make the difference if I was to place 2 more fans to exhaust and close the casing entirely
November 9, 2012 3:57:49 PM

swifty_morgan said:
the 260 and the 560 especially were heat mongers.......... putting that aside, what power supply is in each case. please be specific. the coolermaster ( purchased with CM case ) ?........ might be rather low end. cheap PS's make everything run hotter because they can't provide proper power.


Yes I know 260 is hot so I didnt mind that one, but that is all now irrelevant since this is not about how hot do cards get, its about the temp difference between same brand new graphic cards on 2 different computers.

This is my PSU http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2573

not sure how good it is, but it didnt come with casing and I think it wasnt that cheap.... dont know really
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2012 3:58:55 PM

you need to draw air in and draw air out. cases do make a difference. you said the PS is located in the bottom of the case. So what. Sucking air from under the case ( fan facing down ) ? check for dust build up. that might include pulling the PS to properly clean dust from screen and from all. Also, if it has a bottom screen, get rid of it. More often than not they block air flow.

and what about the other information i asked for ?
November 9, 2012 4:07:12 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you need to draw air in and draw air out. cases do make a difference. you said the PS is located in the bottom of the case. So what. Sucking air from under the case ( fan facing down ) ? check for dust build up. that might include pulling the PS to properly clean dust from screen and from all. Also, if it has a bottom screen, get rid of it. More often than not they block air flow.

and what about the other information i asked for ?


ok that makes sense... will try with 2 more intake and exhaust fans and casing closed.

I said PSU is on bottom under all hardware explaining its cables are not all over the place. will check about screen and report back

what other info you asked for? I gave link about PSU
!