Running speed of PC 133 Sdram

G

My new Athalon system memory banks support PC 133MHZ Sdram.
When I checked the system bios,it showed the correct amount, and type of ram.But showed that it was 384 meg.of
pc133/100mhz.I thought that if it's pc 133mhz. ram it should then be running at 133 mhz. why does it read in the bios running at / 100 mhz?
Any infor. would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Chuckster

G

Hi:Olfin_Bedwere
This oem Asus board is running at a 200 mhz FSB.
Athalon 1.3 gig.I don't understand that is the system bios this species of ram is read as PC 133mhz/100mhz.does it all run like that, or is it maybe just a fixed defualt on this board?
thanks
Chuck

G

I could be wrong, but I believe that the fact that your FSB is at 200MHz, guarantees the memory is running 100MHz. As far as I know the memory data bus runs synchronous to (is) the FSB on the AMD's. Then again I just pulled that outta where the sun don't shine.

G

Sounds right, but then what is the real increase
of PC133 over PC100 in overall system preformance?
I 'm seeing this system as compaired to my previous
P-III 500 w/pc100 running.
Mind you this is a 1.3 gig. beast.I'm really feeling theres no difference, at least nothing I'll see.
Thanks
Chuck

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
hmm, sounds like you are running your RAM at 133MHz. Sounds like 133MHz RAM and 100MHz Bus (200MHz Effective).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

That's kind of how it is when you get a new system with the same FSB speed, 100MHz in this case. It is hard to see what the performance difference is. It probably feels/responds exactly the same on games that were already running well. The real difference will be noticed in the ability to run at higher resolutions and color depths, and/or while running various realtime effects etc. while maintaining good performance during gameplay.

If there is a way to do it you most certainly would give the system a nice kick in the pants performancewise if you could manage to get that FSB of yours running at 133MHz, and it would totally be worth it. This is true of any FSB bandwidth limited situation as I believe the T-Bird/PC100,133 situation is. As for the exact performance increase you see, well that depends on your application and tons other system details you didn't give. The problem is, sorry to say, I have no idea if it is possible with your config.

G

So the RAM can run at 133MHz while the FSB is running at 100MHz? Now I'm confused. OK you said effective 200MHz, does that mean the 133MHz is asynchronously passing the data to a 100MHz FSB with the bandwidth of a 200MHz bus. Cause it really wouldn't make any sense to do it that way if the 100MHz bus only had the bandwidth of a regular 100MHz bus. I think I told the guy the memory ran synchronously to the FSB. I would hate to be lying. So please help me out here if you know what the hell I'm rambling on about here. pretty please?

G

Oh yeah, AMD_Man one more question. If what I think your getting at is true: would there be some way of settting the memory clockspeed seperate from a way to set the FSB speed, on this guys motherboard so that he could manually set it and guarantee he IS running his memory at a full 133MHz? Or alternatively someplace to verify the clockspeed of both busses?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
OK you said effective 200MHz, does that mean the 133MHz is asynchronously passing the data to a 100MHz FSB with the bandwidth of a 200MHz bus.
That is precisely right!!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'm not quite sure what you are asking but on your motherboard you can only run your RAM at 4:3 ratio of the bus speed or 1:1 of the bus speed. Even if you overclock the bus, the RAM speed will mantain that ratio.

G

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, now that I've thought about it I won't be satisfied until I feel comfy with the whole idea. Crap, I guess that means I may have to dig/work for more answers.

G

Hi:Knewton & AMD_MAN
Thanks a ton for all the input on my question about the running speed of PC 133 Sdram.Now that you both have me confussed,I think I'll just stay happy with how well this new Athalon 1.3 puppy runs. It's totally stable,quick
as a flash, does everything I like to do and more so.
The configration is a desent one for my needs.
As follows: HP Pavilion 7935
1.3 Gig Athalon T-Bird
384 meg. of PC133 sdram
40 gig HD (Seagate 5400-ATA 100)
200 mhz. FSB oem Asus mainboard
Philips 8x4x32 Burner
Running MS WindowsXP(Home Edition)
For the price it was tough to beat
on sale for $624.00 bucks.
So thanks again for all the help, trying to understand this
ram running speed stuff!
Chuck

G

hey don't feel bad, I think I'm a little confused too. But yeah, your computer sounds sweet compared to what I'm currently using. But man I was just browsing over at pricewatch. I could get 256MB DDR, XP1600, and MB for like $200. It may not be long until I just can't stand it anymore and spend the stinking money.