Sign in with
Your question

Am I able to change my laptop graphic card ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2012 3:56:53 PM

I recently bought this laptop, Asus N56VZ with the GT 650M version.

I'm just wondering if i am able to change the gpu of my laptop if i wanted to in the future.

I've tried searching on the internet but I cannot find any information about this laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) 

More about : change laptop graphic card

a c 160 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 9, 2012 8:14:33 PM

More than likely, the answer is no, you cannot change the GPU.

In most cases, the graphics card of a laptop is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be removed. In some cases, the graphics card is actually a card in a slot, in which case, the card can be changed out, but then you have to take into consideration power and cooling requirements (often very strict when dealing with laptops).

Check out the ASUS web site and see if there is a technical manual for your laptop. I may show in that whether the card has a slot for it.

-Wolf sends
m
l
November 9, 2012 8:30:51 PM

Generally, no. Very few laptops have "MXM" slots that can hold different graphics cards. For instance, my laptop, a toshiba qosmio x775-q7272, has a 560m. But, that 560m is in an MXM 3.0b slot, which can be upgraded to a 570m. However, people have done it with an i5 version of the laptop and on stock clocks it was 90-100C. Mine has an i7. Given, laptop graphics cards can withstand more temperatures, but in the chance your laptop can be upgraded, I wouldn't recommend it.
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2012 12:39:18 PM

Wolfshadw said:
More than likely, the answer is no, you cannot change the GPU.

In most cases, the graphics card of a laptop is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be removed. In some cases, the graphics card is actually a card in a slot, in which case, the card can be changed out, but then you have to take into consideration power and cooling requirements (often very strict when dealing with laptops).

Check out the ASUS web site and see if there is a technical manual for your laptop. I may show in that whether the card has a slot for it.

-Wolf sends

Wolf, you mean something like this ?
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/N56VZ/Manual/261972
m
l
November 10, 2012 12:41:17 PM

rambisco said:
Generally, no. Very few laptops have "MXM" slots that can hold different graphics cards. For instance, my laptop, a toshiba qosmio x775-q7272, has a 560m. But, that 560m is in an MXM 3.0b slot, which can be upgraded to a 570m. However, people have done it with an i5 version of the laptop and on stock clocks it was 90-100C. Mine has an i7. Given, laptop graphics cards can withstand more temperatures, but in the chance your laptop can be upgraded, I wouldn't recommend it.

Rambisco, 90 to 100 Celsius when it's idle ? That's very hot, in fact, close to unusable !
m
l
November 10, 2012 3:38:38 PM

charlie_lee said:
Rambisco, 90 to 100 Celsius when it's idle ? That's very hot, in fact, close to unusable !

m
l
November 10, 2012 3:38:59 PM

charlie_lee said:

m
l
November 10, 2012 3:48:01 PM

charlie_lee said:

m
l
!