DDR3 or DDR5 Card with A10-5800K?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I've been looking at getting an HD 6670 to use in Dual Graphic mode with my A10-5800K HTPC I built. But I'm having trouble justifying spending the extra money for a card with DDR5 instead of DDR3. Since the APU's 7660D on-chip GPU relies on DDR3 system memory anyway, is there any benefit to going with a card that uses DDR5?

Solution
I keep seeing people who are using crossfire on these APU's, complaining about serious microstutter issues. There is a good chance it is due to the discrete card and the APU running at different speeds. It is more likely they will run closer to the same speed if using the same speed of memory, which would be DD3 with the APU.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I thought the whole point of getting a trinity chip was to avoid needing a GPU in a HTPC?

If you are getting a 6670 (which is way more than enough for a HTPC), why not get a cheaper processor without graphic capabilities?

Edit: but to answer your question - definitely do DDR3. No reason to spend more on a HTPC that should mostly play video.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Thank you for your replies. The addition of an inexpensive GPU in dual graphic mode is to enable it to game at 1080p (as well as do other HTPC tasks). Right now it performs its gaming duties adequately at 720p, but 1080p is too much for the 7660D. I already have the HTPC built and in use. I didn't originally intend on it being a gaming HTPC, but it surprised me with its capability. Now I'd like to improve on it without spending a fortune.

@deadlockedwo
Thanks for the info. Are you saying DDR5 won't be an improvement over DDR3 when paired with the 7660D/DDR3 system memory? Or were you just assuming I would only be doing video?

I keep seeing people who are using crossfire on these APU's, complaining about serious microstutter issues. There is a good chance it is due to the discrete card and the APU running at different speeds. It is more likely they will run closer to the same speed if using the same speed of memory, which would be DD3 with the APU.

Solution

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Yes - I was assuming you were using it for traditional HTPC purposes. If gaming, the more powerful GPU does make more sense.

Can I ask why a 6670? Is your case low profile? If that's your limitation there are low profile 7750s that should be better.

I've heard of microstutter issues, I think it was in Anantech's review of the trinity chips. Don't really understand how that works though so cant comment on memory speed. My strategy would just be to get the best GPU I can fit and overpower the problem :)

The 6670 is used as the A-10 chip has a built in 6670 that is supposed to work in crossfire with a discrete 6670.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
@deadlockedworld...
There are 2 reasons I would like to go with the HD 6670; one is because my PSU requires a card that doesn't need a PCIe power cable. The second is that I would like to keep the heat and noise to a minimum, and the HD 6670 seems a better choice than going with a bigger PSU and a hotter card. And, yes the case allows for full sized cards.

The HD 7750 you mention is an interesting suggestion, however. How would it rank as a stand-alone card compared to the 6670 in dual graphic mode?

@bystander and deadlockedworld...
Yes, the A10-5800K requires either the HD 6670, 6570, or 6450 for DG according to the AMD website. And I read that the new HD 7670 is basically a re-branded HD 6670 anyway. Also, the HD 7670 seems to be OEM only.

But, to my original question: Am I to assume a Dual Graphic card with DDR5 would be overkill, and that I should stick with DDR3?

TRENDING THREADS