Sign in with
Your question

How many monitors can one card run?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2012 5:54:38 PM

this is just a general question about these newer video cards that have mutiple video outs on them, for instance a video card might have 2 DVI's and one HDMI and even one DisplayPort on it.. My question is how many monitors can you use at once with these kind of video cards?

He is an example http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

More about : monitors card run

November 9, 2012 5:58:45 PM

imported said:
this is just a general question about these newer video cards that have mutiple video outs on them, for instance a video card might have 2 DVI's and one HDMI and even one DisplayPort on it.. My question is how many monitors can you use at once with these kind of video cards?

He is an example http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

P.S. i will be installing whatever videocard i get into this MoBo: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

This ASUS P8Z77-V PRO itself has:
1 VGA Port, 1 DVI Port, 1 HDMI Port, and 1 DisplayPort is it fair to say that i could hook up 4 monitors to the motherboard, and then hook up additional monitors to the video card too and have them all work together?

Not that interested in gaming. Simply looking for a vast amount of Desktop work space.

m
l
November 9, 2012 6:08:46 PM

imported said:

1 VGA Port, 1 DVI Port, 1 HDMI Port, and 1 DisplayPort is it fair to say that i could hook up 4 monitors to the motherboard, and then hook up additional monitors to the video card too and have them all work together?

Not that interested in gaming. Simply looking for a vast amount of Desktop work space.

No. You can go with either onboard (motherboard) Or a dedicated video card (graphics card). One or the either you can't run both; However, for something as simple as a lot of destop space you can definatly run multiple monitors even on the onboard. Here at work we multiple users with dual screens with DVI and Display port outs on the mobo. A graphics card will support even more simply because it's more powerful.

For something like gaming to support 3 monitors + you need a high end graphics card but for word documents etc you won't need a super powerful card.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2012 6:09:22 PM

The output can only go to either onboard card or discrete card, not both.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
November 9, 2012 6:35:51 PM

depending on the card. The 550ti you linked can run 2 monitors. If you get an AMD card, they can ussually do 3+ monitors on 1 card.
m
l
November 9, 2012 6:38:33 PM

unoriginal1 said:
No. You can go with either onboard (motherboard) Or a dedicated video card (graphics card). One or the either you can't run both; However, for something as simple as a lot of destop space you can definatly run multiple monitors even on the onboard. Here at work we multiple users with dual screens with DVI and Display port outs on the mobo. A graphics card will support even more simply because it's more powerful.

For something like gaming to support 3 monitors + you need a high end graphics card but for word documents etc you won't need a super powerful card.

Thank you all for your input so far..

Does anyone have a recommendation for a video card that i could run 4 monitors from?
m
l
November 9, 2012 6:50:27 PM

imported said:
Thank you all for your input so far..

Does anyone have a recommendation for a video card that i could run 4 monitors from?

Couple of things we will need to know. What is the PSU in your system (be best just to give us the full system specs) We need that because different cards require different power amounts.

Second what is the budget your looking to spend?

Off the top of my head your going to need a higher end card to run 4 monitors. Nothing crazy extreme since it won't be gaming just desktop work. But a higher end card nonetheless
m
l
November 9, 2012 6:58:33 PM

Appears that you could use the 500 series from nvidia (or later) or even the 6 and 7xxx series from amd for a 4 display set up. Mind you.. Lower the card less power so don't expect to be able to game. As you said thats not your interest but for just extended desktop space they will work.. Heres an interesting article i think you should read.

Quote "The latest high-end Nvidia 500 series and AMD 7/6000 range can drive four physical connections. "

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peri...

*Edit* Id still ask around here as I'm no expert on multiple display set ups. There are some graphics guru's lurking around here that im sure will answer soon enough.
m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
a c 76 C Monitor
November 9, 2012 7:25:51 PM

I believe, with the Z77 chipset, you can run two out of the three adapters on the motherboard at the same time.
That is in addition to whatever you add via a discrete graphics card.
In the past, the os was limited to just one graphics driver. But, with windows 7 at least, that no longer applies.
You can have as many discrete graphics cards as your motherboard can handle, including the integrated capability.

Most graphics cards will let you run two out of all of the outputs that the card supplies.
With the newer cards, that might be all of them.
There may be some restrictions, such as needing displayport attached devices.

For specific answers, you need to tell us how many monitors, what resolutions, what attachment options the monitors have, and what will be the usage.
For gaming, is it one gaming monitor, or triple monitor gaming.

m
l
November 9, 2012 7:27:05 PM

AMD FirePro W600 supports 6 monitors using a single PCI-express slot and uses only 75W.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:44:04 PM

AMD FirePro 2460 supports 4 monitors using a low-profile PCI-express card, passive cooling, and uses only 25W.
m
l
!